PDA

View Full Version : A Non-iPod mp3 Player

2+2 wannabe
09-13-2005, 12:44 AM
what are the best ones? I don't feel like a trendy iPod

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-13-2005, 12:45 AM
iAudio (http://eng.iaudio.com/product/product_iaudio.php?left_menu_name=iAUDIO)

LethalRose
09-13-2005, 12:46 AM
depends what you want to do with it...

i have a sporty one that I use while running, its tough and small, but only 64 mb.

LethalRose
09-13-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
www.iaudio.com (http://www.iaudio.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my, im getting one.

Seadood228
09-13-2005, 12:48 AM
There's a reason why IPODs are trendy..

I fought it too.. just give in and get an IPOD.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-13-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They have the best marketing.

2+2 wannabe
09-13-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is the reason

when you have 95% of the batteries [censored] up it's not a great product

2+2 wannabe
09-13-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is [censored] cool

Ogre
09-13-2005, 01:00 AM
nano

PITTM
09-13-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what are the best ones? I don't feel like a trendy iPod

[/ QUOTE ]

www.iriveramerica.com (http://www.iriveramerica.com)

rj

csuf_gambler
09-13-2005, 02:35 AM
www.rioaudio.com (http://www.rioaudio.com)

Brain
09-13-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the U2 earlier tonight for use at the gym. Any positive/negative recommendations?

And do you think I can install it without the packaged CD? My CD drive only works when I'm complaining about it at Best Buy. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

zephed
09-13-2005, 03:48 AM
I believe files you have stored on your ipod are in a protected format. Or is that just for songs you buy on itunes? Someone here tried to share some songs and they were in a format called .m4p .

I couldn't find anything to convert it. Anyways...

If that's how Ipods are, I'll never get one.

Correct or incorrect?

2+2 wannabe
09-13-2005, 03:51 AM
I have no idea - I'm *this* close to buying one right now

WackityWhiz
09-13-2005, 03:58 AM
I'm pretty sure the Dell DJ got good reviews. I have a buddy who really likes his. I think they are about 100 bucks cheaper than an Ipod

mike4bmp
09-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Dell makes a nice 20GB player

lem45216
09-13-2005, 06:19 AM
I've got a Creative Zen Touch Sleek (http://http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=1 3599) . It's pretty good, does what an ipod does.

oreogod
09-13-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe files you have stored on your ipod are in a protected format. Or is that just for songs you buy on itunes? Someone here tried to share some songs and they were in a format called .m4p .

If that's how Ipods are, I'll never get one.

Correct or incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

Seriously to get songs off your ipod onto someone elses computer or put other ppls song onto the Ipod...use Ephpod. Google it, it will bring the program right up (its a free program).

Or just throw someones entire music file onto your ipod (like u would a text file)...when u get home, put the file onto your computer and add them to your ipod playlist through itunes.

Anyways...mp4? If u mean AAC (which is apples own encoding prodedure) then someone probably formated the songs using the apple AAC selection highlighted. Or your friend was just a retard and tried to pull the song file off the Ipod without using a program like Ephpod. Because to prevent ppl from stealing music, when itunes creates a playlist for your songs on the ipod so u can listen to them...they do encrypt that file to prevent someone from trading entire music libraries.

But as u can see, there are really really easy ways around that.

VERY IMPORTANT: when u attact your ipod to your computer, in itunes, go to preferences...select Ipod...select Manual Sync. Otherwise the Ipod will auto update your ipod to your music library on your computer.

Also my brother got the Iaudio X5 before I got my 60gig color ipod...he likes it, but Im not really into it. I like the ipod far better.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-13-2005, 10:39 AM
iAudio and iRiver and Creative and just about any player other than iPods require no extra software. You plug them into your computer and they look like a USB drive. No stupid ephpod or having to worry about setting things to manual sync so you don't lose your files, no protected files or any of this crap. The iAudio products play any file type you'd want to listen to, including OGG and lossless formats like FLAC. Plug it in and do what you do. iAudio products do come with software called JetAudio that you can use for your playlists and whatever else and it gets pretty good reviews, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I don't.

imported_The Vibesman
09-13-2005, 10:47 AM
I have an iRiver, it was a gift, only 512 MB but it works fine, and is easy to use. Also has an FM tuner and a voice recorder.

DeadMoneyOC
09-13-2005, 10:51 AM
get the new Ipod

Soul Daddy
09-13-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
iAudio and iRiver and Creative and just about any player other than iPods require no extra software. You plug them into your computer and they look like a USB drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
My piece of [censored] Creative Nomad requires bundled software to transfer files. It sucks.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-13-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
iAudio and iRiver and Creative and just about any player other than iPods require no extra software. You plug them into your computer and they look like a USB drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
My piece of [censored] Creative Nomad requires bundled software to transfer files. It sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, ixnay on the Nomads.

bugstud
09-13-2005, 11:14 AM
meh the ceative nomads and whatnot are really solid and have replacable battery, which is pretty solid. I like mine a lot.

cold_cash
09-13-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these and really like it.

IndieMatty
09-13-2005, 11:50 AM
I love my Iriver 40 GIG, (its one of the older ones), but I just got the Nano for the gym. One of the (small) problems with the non-ipod brands is that they don't make as many accessories like arm straps and what not.

You can't go wrong with the new Irivers or PDPG's Iaudio.

dibbs
09-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I've had my Creative Zen Touch for about a year and love it. Sound quality is better than ipod, battery life is much much better (not sure about the new new ipods though I heard they were planning on improving this), not nearly as aesthetically pleasing however.

The program used to upload songs is easy to use as well.

Jerkass333
09-13-2005, 11:54 AM
I really like mine: Archos Gmini (http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500637.html) . It plays video too, on a really nice lcd screen.

steelcmg
09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these and really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here it works great and very easy to use and only 200$

Tron
09-13-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is the reason

when you have 95% of the batteries [censored] up it's not a great product

[/ QUOTE ]

The batteries were a problem 3 years ago. That is long past.

istewart
09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
If you actually complain about the software and/or hook-up making the iPod difficult to use YSSCKY. A kid with Down Syndrome could do it.

And STFU with the battery power crap. I've had mine for 2 years now with no issues.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-13-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you actually complain about the software and/or hook-up making the iPod difficult to use YSSCKY. A kid with Down Syndrome could do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not that it's difficult to figure out, but it's a stupid hassle and a pain in the ass. Who wants to worry about having software installed or making sure you have it set to manual sync so it doesn't fubar you when you want to go to a computer other than your base computer? Lame.

2+2 wannabe
09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And STFU with the battery power crap. I've had mine for 2 years now with no issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

a little hostile?

I went ahead and bought one of the black nanos, with grey armband - I really wish it had FM tuner though.

IndieMatty
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a little hostile?

I went ahead and bought one of the black nanos, with grey armband - I really wish it had FM tuner though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a FM radio on all of my MP3 players. I haven't used it since Opie And Anthony and Ron and Fez left New York.

Soul Daddy
09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had a FM radio on all of my MP3 players. I haven't used it since Opie And Anthony and Ron and Fez left New York.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can't imagine using the tuner for music. But my gym as ESPN on the TVs and you have to tune into an FM station to get sound. So it would be kinda nice to not have to read PTI closed captions.

2+2 wannabe
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can't imagine using the tuner for music. But my gym as ESPN on the TVs and you have to tune into an FM station to get sound. So it would be kinda nice to not have to read PTI closed captions.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my only reason for wanting it

Brain
09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a little hostile?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

still /images/graemlins/frown.gif over that