PDA

View Full Version : Blind steal attempt with garbage flops top pair

SlantNGo
09-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

First off, the blind steal... Button and BB were TAs. SB was a bit on the loose side. He saw way too many showdowns and had a low AF but I had two previous encounters with him, resulting in the following notes:
-PFL/C KJs UTG, C/R K75 flop HU vs. PFR
-Raised/Capped turn w/ 1-card nut str8

When he bet the flop, I was pretty sure he had a piece of the board. As a quick estimate, 2 Js left, 3 Ts, 3 5s, so I figured I'm ahead approximately 3/4 of the time here, and the raise can drive out a marginal holding from CO.

When the T dropped on the turn, I think I'm now behind a bit more than I'm ahead, so I check behind, planning to call a river bet, or bet the river if checked to. Given that he sees so many showdowns, is this the right move?

And I'm starting to think the blind steal was a bad idea. I know that when I'm posting the blind, I put in 1 to win 2.5 so I should raise with any 2, but here, putting in 2 to win 2.5, where should I draw the line?

09-12-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And I'm starting to think the blind steal was a bad idea. I know that when I'm posting the blind, I put in 1 to win 2.5 so I should raise with any 2, but here, putting in 2 to win 2.5, where should I draw the line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to open up a little bit here as you need the blind steal to work less often to be profitable. However, I don't think J3s is good enough, and the fact that SB is loose makes it even worse.

Isura
09-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Fold this preflop and you will make more money.

Russ McGinley
09-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I wait for at least playable hands to "blind steal" in the event I'm called and I might actually not be given credit for anything. You are up against a player who you cannot bluff against so you are basically forcing yourself to hit something and hope he misses, which I don't like. Hands like ace-rag, broadway cards, suited connectors, and mid pocket pairs are the hands I look for (along with all the obvious hands), otherwise I don't bother.