PDA

View Full Version : Inept Network Admins (longish)

PoBoy321
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
So I've been without internet since I've been at school. The only way I can access it is by taking my computer to the library where I can pick up an internet connection. The issue started because my roommates and I had a wireless router in our apartment which is apparently against university policy, but as soon as we were alerted about it, we turned it off, told the network admins that it was off and over the course of the last 2 weeks, they've turned 3 of 4 jacks on, one at a time and I'm the last one without internet. Today, I received this e-mail (I'll summarize at the end if you don't wanna read through it).

[ QUOTE ]

We believe that the internet jacks in your apartment have been disabled because an AirPort, wireless router, or other type of network device was connected to one of them. Our network security team detected a large number of other computers attempting to connect to the internet through one jack, so they turned it off. If you were using a wireless router or any other kind of network switch or hub, please make sure you do not plug it in again. Once we know that you are not attempting to use the device anymore, the security team will turn the jacks back on.

In other words, just let us know that single computers are the only things being plugged into the jacks that are not working, and we can turn them back on. If the network security team detects the same pattern of multiple computers attempting to connect to the internet through one jack, they will have to disable them again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, he's saying that they turned off the jacks because we had a wireless router and is oblivious to the fact that a) we turned off the router 2 weeks ago and b) that 3 of 4 jacks have already been turned on.

Here's the e-mail I just sent in response.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that a wireless router was detected in our apartment. We were alerted that it was an issue and immediately disconnected it. Apparently, whoever it was that detected our router, ignored the multiple other routers which were, and still are, active throughout Village A. My issue comes from the fact that 2 weeks ago, I first contacted you to alert you of the problem. I was told that it would be rectified within 3-5 days and 2 weeks later, it has still not been addresseed. All 4 ports in my apartment had been turned off and now 3 are back online, only after having been turned on one at a time over the course of the last 2 weeks.

I am incredibly disappointed in the service I have received from the UIS Help Desk as it has taken several communications and 2 weeks before I was able to receive a response from you and the issue has still not been addressed.

As you said, I only need to let you know that only a single computer will access each jack, and I already told one of your representatives that fact 2 weeks ago. If, for some reason, you are unable to help me with my issue, please send me contact information for someone who can.

Thank you, and hopefully this will be the last time that this issue needs to be addressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I said that I've already done everything that he just asked me to do, but it's still taken 2 weeks to get the thing fixed, but that if he can't help me, which he hasn't been able to, he needs to direct me to a superior or someone who can.

How long should I wait before contacting them again or contacting this guy's superior?

PoBoy321
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
bump

C'mon guys, help me out. If the problem isn't adressed, how long should I wait before contacting them again?

Chobohoya
09-12-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump

C'mon guys, help me out. If the problem isn't adressed, how long should I wait before contacting them again?

[/ QUOTE ]

They will never fix your problem willingly. Contact them every few hours, every day, until it gets fixed. Unless you know someone who works there. If so, tell them, and have them get on it.

HopeydaFish
09-12-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd contact them again tomorrow. They've had long enough to get this fixed, you should be at the top of the list due to the run around they've already given you.

PoBoy321
09-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey chobo, how're you doing? Everything alright with Katrina? I know you're from northern FL, i don't know how hard you were hit.

Anyway, yeah. Those UIS people are mostly idiots or just students who don't want to have to do anything to earn a paycheck. So I guess every day is gonna be the answer.