PDA

View Full Version : Overcards out of position in NL Hold 'em

annie2cards
09-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Recurring problem: Raise 3x BB, 1st in, from early or middle position with hand such as AQ, KQs, AJs, called by one player. Flop misses me, but "safe", so I bet half the pot, and get called. Turn is a blank, make about the same bet (which is now 1/4 pot) and get called again. River is a blank, I don't think he's going to fold to a bet so I check, caller makes solid bet and I fold, losing a lot of chips. Where am I going wrong?

09-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Very read dependent and texture dependent. At my home game, I fire a third bullet here against a tight player more often then not; I also don't bet this flop every time. Against loose opponents, I tend to check/fold the turn. If I do bet the turn, I'm betting more than you do.

Tea_Bagger
09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
After I make a continuation bet on the flop OOP with no pair/draw and get called, I'm usually done with the hand unless the turn helps me significantly. If I were you, I'd either make a bigger bet on the turn (1/3-1/2 instead of 1/4 of the pot) if you feel, for whatever reason, that you MUST bet. There are also a bunch of other factors that you have to consider (stack sizes, blind size, reads, buy-in, etc) before you can decide on an optimal strategy. In other words, there is no right answer...I just don't like the small bet on the turn /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

EnderFFX
09-12-2005, 07:18 PM
"Raise 3x BB, 1st in, from early or middle position with hand such as AQ, KQs, AJs"

I'd say this statement sums up where you are going wrong. If you are doing this early in a SnG, you are just begging to get trapped. If you are doing this late in a tournament, you should be folding for equity. In the middle rounds of a tournament some of these raises will only be called by hands that dominate you.

Early in a tournament, I rarely touch these hands unless I have position.

theben
09-12-2005, 07:34 PM
know your player more and dont give a moron a follow up bet