PDA

View Full Version : No Action on Monster

eMarkM
04-30-2003, 03:48 PM
PP 5/10. EP limps, tight solid regular. Another MP limper, unknown. I limp on button with 66. Sb completes, BB checks.

Flop comes something like 866 rainbow. Blinds check, Solid EP bets out, MP folds. I call hoping to get blinds to overcall. They fold.

Turn is HU, comes...I don't remember, it was a small blank I think. Obviously nothing I had to worry about, but also nothing that would make the other players hand. EP bets. I raise, he folds.

Trying to think how I could have extracted more out of this. Obvioulsy I think I should have just called the turn and let him bet into me again on the river. I don't usually slowplay until the river, but in this situation I was virtually unbeatable so I think this might have been an exception.

Homer
04-30-2003, 03:57 PM
I probably would have waited until the river. Calling the flop and raising the turn screams big hand. If my opponent has overcards he will probably fold to a turn raise. You might be able to get one more bet out of him (or two if he catches an "out") on the river, either by him bluffing into you, or check-calling with a big ace. If he has an overpair, you probably make the same amount of money whether you wait until the river or not (2 on the turn, 1 on the river vs. 1 on the turn, 2 on the river).

Incidentally, if this hand was heads-up, I would have raised the flop. Your opponent won't put you on a big hand and you will probably get more action this way than you would by calling the flop and raising the turn.

-- Homer

bernie
04-30-2003, 07:20 PM
the 1st thing he'll likely put you on the way you played the turn is trip 6s. it's a very common move. you may have done better by raising the flop. who does that with the nuts? they wont put you on it. theyd likely put you on top pair or maybe a draw.

if youre calling the flop, realize what a move would look like to the other players based on what types of hands, with this type of board, they would play. in this case, you have a good idea about calling the turn. IMO

just some ideas...

b