PDA

View Full Version : Calling down a bluff with ace-high? +EV?

09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
This situation seems to happen to me a lot, both online and in my home game. I'll get a read on one of my opponents, especially one particular guy at my home game, and call down a hand with say, ace-high or bottom pair. Now then, is it better to come over the top on the river and take it or just call him down? I usually mix it up, but it seems like it's +EV to just call him down for two reasons: It says "You can't push me around," and a good percent of the time my opponent will tilt at least a little bit. So which do you think is +EV and why?

09-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Raise him out, just in case he has bottom pair

09-12-2005, 07:22 PM
If you have him as being weak, then raise him here. Get out bottom/middle pairs. If "You cant push me around" is what you want, then show him the cards.

The Goober
09-12-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It says "You can't push me around,"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of the time in a ring game you don't want to say this. If the guy's a habitual bluffer and you lower his bluffing frequency then you'll make him play more correctly. Especially if you can read him this well, you want him to keep coming at you with weak cards. I've actually done just the opposite against bluffers - I'll pretend to agonize about calling with my 2nd pair or whatever (to make him think that he almost stole a pot a from me) when I know damn well I'm calling the guy down.

09-12-2005, 08:09 PM
totally agree. You want to pick your spots and take advantage of his stupid bluffs, that way you make a profit off it.

09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Depends on how he bluffs. If you think he can't beat ace high, just call. If you think he has a hand that can beat ace high but will fold to a reraise, then reraise.

If you know he has King high, raising does nothing, as he will not call, and you are needlessly putting your money at risk.

09-12-2005, 08:29 PM
If you're calling on reads, raise. (If you believe you have a stronger hand, re-raise.)

If you're calling on principle, call. (There are situations where it makes sense to call even though you you don't have the best hand like drawing hands, or against good bluffers.)