PDA

View Full Version : Should I bet the river # 2

mikeca
04-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Different looser 10 handed PP 0.5/1 game. I am UTG+2 with Ad Qd.

UTG folds, UTG+1 limps. I raise. Folded to the button, who cold calls. SB and BB fold. Haven’t been at this table very long, but UTG+1 seems reasonable and the button very loose.

Flop is Ts Ks Jc

I flopped the nut straight! UTG+1 checks. I bet. Button raises. UTG+1 cold calls. I re-raise. UTG+1 and button both call.

Turn is [ Ts Ks Jc ] Jd

Not sure I like this. At least it was not a spade. UTG+1 bets into me. Oh, oh. He has a J. Could it be KJ or TJ? I don’t think so. He would have bet the flop with 2 pair. If he just has Jx, I’m still in the lead here. I raise. Too aggressive? Button calls 2 cold and UTG+1 calls.

River is [ Ts Ks Jc Jd ] Js

I didn’t want to see that card on the river! UTG+1 checks. My turn read was UTG+1 had a single Jx. If so, he now has quad J’s. Is he setting me up for a check raise? What does the button have? He had something to raise with on the flop. If it was a Kx, he now has a full house. If he was on a spade draw, he just made his draw. If I check, the button might bluff at this pot with nothing? Should I bet here?

What I did and results to follow.

Jeffro
04-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I would check-call if button bets and utg+1 folds.
I would check-fold if button bet and utg +1 raises.
I would check-fold if button bets and utg+1 calls.

Joe Tall
04-30-2003, 03:44 PM
This is tough one (to be involved in), but I bet the open-limper look it down with the QJ for the quad jacks...he was sucking out with his open-ended straight draw and the hand just kept improving for him, tough beat...sorry. A river check is in order here. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

eMarkM
04-30-2003, 04:06 PM
That's one ugly card for you. I think you have to check. Hope the scare cards scares all of them and it gets checked through. I can't think of a worse hand that calls you here. Anyone with a pair has you beat. Jx, Tx, Kx, 22, whatever. Not to mention that the flush got there. Button could very well bluff at the pot, though I think he may have been on a spade draw (though if really loose, who knows). Easy fold if UTG does then c/r, but I'd probably make a crying call to a button bet. Fold if UTG calls a button bet, one of them has you beat.

Louie Landale
04-30-2003, 06:17 PM
You almost definatly do not have the best hand and I'm sure nobody will call with a worse hand, except MAYBE a desperate Q9. Betting for value seems out of the question.

You MAY, but I don't recommend it, try to bluff the flush out of the pot. That will likely work but it sure looks like someone has a full house to me.

- Louie

mikeca
05-01-2003, 02:39 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their replies.

In the game I checked, and the button checked too. UTG+1 showed QJo for quad Js and took down the pot. He had flopped a good straight draw, and ended up winning with quads. I guess he figured no one would call his bet on the river, so he hoped one of us would bet and he could raise. The transcript showed the button had KTo for a flopped two pair that turned into a full house. After flopping the nut straight, I ended up in 3rd place.

Congratulations to LarryJoeFish33’s card reading abilities for calling the hand that UTG+1 had. I put him on Jx, but didn’t go that far.

Bob T.
05-01-2003, 04:38 AM
You've been betting all along, and now the river makes it so you are likely behind. I would pretend I flopped a different hand, and bet then fold to a raise. I think that given how strongly you played until now, you might be able to fold a hand that beats yours. Would you really call a bet with a flush if someone bet into you with this board?

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Good example of why flopping Broadway leaves you vulnerable. Even though it didn't happen this time, when a Broadway board pairs, there's a full house out there a good deal of the time.

mikeca
05-01-2003, 12:35 PM
UTG+1's play indicates he has a J, giving him quad J's. With 3 J's on the board, and 3 of one suite, a full house and/or flush are likely. In a 0.5/1 game I don't think there is anyway I'm going to get two players, who have shown some strength (button raised on the flop, UTG+1 bet into me on the turn) to fold for a single bet. Maybe heads up it is worth a try, or if everyone has just been check/calling all the way.