PDA

View Full Version : Self Flaggellation

MtSmalls
04-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Just to reinforce the point to myself (and anyone else), I needed to post this hand from a Stars NLHE tourney last night. To set the scene, I am not a very experienced NL player, but am trying to get better. 2-table tourney, down to 6 players, fairly late in the tourney, all players have roughly equal stacks (between 3500 and 5000)

I have Aces in LP and raise (I think about 750), I get two callers. Flop came 6-Q-10 (I think), checked to me, I bet just about the pot (2500). Player 1 (BB) goes all in almost immediately, Player two thinks for some time then goes all in himself. I now have to huddle. I have both players covered, but only by about 200, so I am effectively out if I lose this hand. On the other hand I have the ultimate for NL HE: Aces, no flush draw on the board and two players who are trying to give me their stacks. Somehow, I talk myself into "running away to play another day", like I am ever going to get Aces in this situation again.

BB turns over 10-J for middle pair, P2 turns over K-6 for bottom pair. I proceed to bang my head incessently against the monitor for several minutes as the hand plays out, rags coming on both the turn and the river and 10-J taking it down....

Even more educational was the tilt I went on the next hand, trying to bluff a pot with A-7 for middle pair costing me all but 3-400 of my stack. Fortunately I recovered, and ended third.

Is there a point to this? Maybe. Don't look for monsters under the bed. Put your money in when you have the best of it. Its not the WSOP, if you get busted out, there is another tourney tomorrow somewhere...

cferejohn
04-30-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure how big your stack was, but given that it was at most 5000 (and ergo at most 4250 after the flop), I think you probably want to go all in on the flop rather than bet over half your stack, since that makes you vunerable to exactly what happened.