PDA

View Full Version : AKs - Standard?

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Just played a session, was reviewing my hands and looking for any where I felt the play could have gone differently. Any thoughts on this? Villain's a thinking TAG who is frankly good at poker.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

Baloosh
09-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Looks standard to me. Villain looks like he's on AK as well.. chopped pot?

Will a river re-raise always mean a cap? By that I mean, if you 3-bet, are you almost assured spending 2 more BB to see a SD?

closer2313
09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Any read on your opponent?

I like the way you played the hand. I like the flop call, the turn raise, and the river bet/call.

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any read on your opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed that, sorry gov'na. Thinking TAG in MP1 in this hand.

CourtJester
Seems fine, with calling his bet on the flop, you got him to bet on the turn. I think your line was fine, and he probably has AQ or AK here a lot, hopefully none of them sooted /images/graemlins/spade.gif nh

Would a flop re-raise be awful here? Because I would be considering that play myself...

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 05:15 PM
I'd also mention that I believe this is the first hand I've ever seen with three Stop &amp; Gos. I was very impressed with villain's check/raise on the river.

Vote4Pedro
09-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Sometimes I 3bet flop, sometimes I wait and raise the turn. I usually flop 3bet the weak/passive players and wait for the turn against the aggro players. Any notes on the villian? I'm sure this hand resulted in some good ones.

closer2313
09-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I like that 3 betting the flop when im trying to knock people out. The way it played out, he makes an extra SB on the turn by calling the flop and raising the turn.

He 3 bets the flop, He earns 1 sb
Villian check/calls turn. He earns 1 BB
He calls the flop, he earns 0 sb
Villian bet/calls the flop, He earns 2 BB

I really like this line headsup in position.

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would a flop re-raise be awful here? Because I would be considering that play myself...

[/ QUOTE ]
It certainly would not, but would an AQ/AJ (which he could easily have given his play up to that point) lead the turn if I 3bet? I think my little stop short gains me the extra half a bet.

09-12-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It certainly would not, but would an AQ/AJ (which he could easily have given his play up to that point) lead the turn if I 3bet? I think my little stop short gains me the extra half a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point. The more I look at it, the more I like the stop and go. Well played hand.

Eeegah
09-12-2005, 05:21 PM
That's a fine scare card for him to pull a last-ditch bluff on. NH.

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Seems like everyone's okay with the line here. I like it as well, both from mine and villain's point of view. We both get our opponent to put as many bets in with what we both believe to be the best hand. There's really no hand I'm afraid of during this exchange (A6/A5s don't raise preflop probably, nor 66/55), so my sole intent was profit. Villain played it back at me like a champ. He showed A/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif and MHI-d'oh!

Baloosh
09-12-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I was eluding to... If it's capped after you 3-bet the river, does that mean you're beat?

What about getting it all-in, and going 45 bets on the river, then folding to the 46th bet? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I was eluding to... If it's capped after you 3-bet the river, does that mean you're beat?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, during the hand I became rather impressed by his play, so much so that if I 3bet the river and he raises, there's zero chance I'm winning the hand yet pay off out of respect.

chiachu
09-12-2005, 05:33 PM
line looks good to me. nh

09-12-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's really no hand I'm afraid of during this exchange (A6/A5s don't raise preflop probably, nor 66/55), so my sole intent was profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gif totally out? I mean, we already put him on AK. Indeed he showed the clubs. Would he be capping the turn for value with the draw? What am I missing? This is the stuff I'm new at.

Vote4Pedro
09-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm sure he'd be trying to jam every street if he had AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif

aK13
09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
He should be in WA/WB mode, IMO.

deception5
09-12-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif totally out? I mean, we already put him on AK. Indeed he showed the clubs. Would he be capping the turn for value with the draw? What am I missing? This is the stuff I'm new at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its out, but I think he'd play any AK this way. It's less likely from a sheer probability standpoint as there are 6 remaining combos of AK and only one is suited clubs.

09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm scared. Other than the turn, he's not slowing down. At this point I've got him on AKo or AK,AQ,AJspades. I probably would have checked behind on the river. There is no way for me to think I'm ahead 50% of the time (for this bet to be right).

Eeegah
09-12-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he'd be trying to jam every street if he had AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also expect a cap preflop fromg a TAG, which is one of the weirder things about this hand.

Shillx
09-12-2005, 08:37 PM
The villian didn't really play this hand all that great. His flop play is pretty abysmal imo. His river play is probably okay since he underplayed his hand, but he has to be really careful making that move against a TAG who very well could be freerolling him (or have AA).

tiltaholic
09-12-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The villian didn't really play this hand all that great. His flop play is pretty abysmal imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think villian should have check called the flop and check raised the turn?

Shillx
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The villian didn't really play this hand all that great. His flop play is pretty abysmal imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think villian should have check called the flop and check raised the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet with the intention of 3-betting. Check/calling the flop and check/raising the turn is just about the worst line possible since we could check behind against a thinking TAG. Against someone who we don't think is capable of check/calling Ax on the flop then it would be an okay line.

Brad

tiltaholic
09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet with the intention of 3-betting. Check/calling the flop and check/raising the turn is just about the worst line possible since we could check behind against a thinking TAG. Against someone who we don't think is capable of check/calling Ax on the flop then it would be an okay line.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. however, wouldn't we just like to cap preflop to begin with?

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Only mistake I see is he missed a cap preflop.

milesdyson
09-12-2005, 09:57 PM
that's because this time you had AK too. his play in this hand only works well when you hold a strong ace (it is pointless when you have AK, as you just split the pot). so say you 3-bet him with KK-99, would you like villain's play?

Paxosmotic
09-12-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that's because this time you had AK too. his play in this hand only works well when you hold a strong ace (it is pointless when you have AK, as you just split the pot). so say you 3-bet him with KK-99, would you like villain's play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Find a spot on the turn or river for villain to squeeze another bet out of me, keeping in mind if he 3bets the turn I call down immediately. He got 4 bets in on the big bet streets. His play is fine here. I was asking about mine but it seems the group likes that as well.

milesdyson
09-12-2005, 10:17 PM
yes, now rate his play based on your likely range of hands.

he's begging you to fold all the hands he crushes and to own him with AA/KK.

09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I agree. Villian got as many bets out of you b/c you had precisely AK. I think the flop check raise sucks.