PDA

View Full Version : Variance in sngs due to bad conn

ayecappy
09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Ive switched from playing 1/2 6-max to playing some more sngs lately and i enjoy it alot but something that bothers me alot is when my connection fails for 10mins or so while playing. Wasnt really a big problem in cashgames since the loss was pretty marginal, my reaction would go something like "well thats just great" and i'd go make something to eat and 10-15 mins later i found myself sitting out at the tables when i came online again. In sngs however this damage is sort of amplified since you're screwed most of the time.
This brings me down to playing just 2 tables at once. Anyone else experienced similar stuff?
I mean huge downswings that are totally unassociated with variance "as we know it" must be pretty harsch to handle. I wouldnt want to imagine a 8-12 buyin downswing just because power/internet or something else went down.

downtown
09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
It's why I'm getting DSL in addition to my cable modem, a 2-WAN port router to allow 2 connections to the Internet, and a small UPS in case the power goes out. Pretty much the worst time for a disconnect would be right after I fire up $264 in SNGs. For those who play higher, I would think this is even more important, but I bet there are many (as I am right now) who foolishly don't have any backup.

ayecappy
09-12-2005, 04:39 PM
thats interesting what kind of precations one can take. I mean the net loss would be the actual buyins and thats relatively quite alot.

Nicholasp27
09-12-2005, 04:46 PM
if i played high buy-in i would make sure i had:

backup computer (at least one of 2 comps should be laptop w/wifi card)
dial-up account
1-hour ups
cable
dsl
automobile
knowledge of closest free 'hot spot'

if power goes out and cable is still on, u are good to go if cable modem/computer/monitor are plugged into ups

if cable goes out, use dsl

if cable and dsl fail, use modem

if cable and telephone lines are down, drive to nearest hotel/restaurant with free wifi

also, if u have a blackberry cell phone, u can use it as a modem, albeit at 2cents/kb unless you have the 80/month unlimited laptop connect plan