PDA

View Full Version : Post 3rd draw in 2-7

DeadMoneyOC
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
WOW, I blow after the third draw in 2-7. I call when I shouldnt and check when I should bet. Ive been pretty good about smelling out people trying to 'snow' me(awesome TD terminology). In general thought there are too many occasions where I dont know if I should check/call, bet/fold other scenerios....If anyone had any general adivce though that would be awesome! Thanks.

MarkGritter
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WOW, I blow after the third draw in 2-7. I call when I shouldnt and check when I should bet. Ive been pretty good about smelling out people trying to 'snow' me(awesome TD terminology). In general thought there are too many occasions where I dont know if I should check/call, bet/fold other scenerios....If anyone had any general adivce though that would be awesome! Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of variables to consider.

-- number of players
-- are you in position/out of position
-- are you overcalling, or are there players yet behind you
-- is somebody pat and if so, when
-- strength of your hand
-- what are your opponents' betting standards in each of these situations
-- what are your opponents' calling standards in each of these situations
-- likelihood of a bluff
-- pot size

The rule Sklansky recommends for HU at the end (in TOP) is to bet if you have a 55% or better chance of being ahead when called. You should call whenever pot odds dictate that a call will be profitable.

I tried coming up with some examples but it turned into a mess. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Probably the #1 lesson is to bet conservatively out of position. #2 is to call somewhat loosely when both players in a HU match have drawn 1, since the chance of an opponent pairing and bluffing is rather high. (Your last-round calls should not be a big source of profit--- you ought to be betting or raising when likely ahead and calling only when likely behind.)

Think about what your opponents are likely to have, and what they think you have. For example, if you have stood pat they are likely to put you on at least a 9 and be drawing to beat that. So your weaker pat hands (876 and worse) are not worth a bet on the last round because it is most likely that you are beat when you are called. But you should aggressively bet them if they are made on the last round as worse hands will pay you off--- but not into large fields.

Post some example hands. Make notes about what your opponents bet and call.

dibbs
09-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Mark's advice is goot. At the moment I'm trying to randomize my calls on the river in position when I stay pat with a 9 and the 1 draw bets into me, a situation I've been thinking about a lot. Pot odds tend to screw with me on the end sometimes.

I hope you're betting 86's and better unless you smell a monster that has already been pat. I'm happy to see a free showdown with rough 8s, in position I'll check behind unless I know the guys a total muppet who will call me with any hand and doesn't like checkraising. OOP I usually check call with them.

Betting on the river and folding to a raise, I'm not great at that.

As stated, observe the players and see what they'll call with, what they'll bet with, what they'll stand pat with. Act accordingly.

randomstumbl
09-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Multiway is complicated enough that it'd take awhile to cover everything. Generally, just value bet your good hands and call a lot. The only caveat is that you need a much better hand to overcall (call a bet after another person has already called the bet).

HU there are three different situations with completely different guidelines.

If you're both drawing I value bet a decent jack or better and bluff most pairs as my default play when first to act or when checked to (this is quickly adjusted to specific opponents). If the pot is small, I'm less aggressive and tenacious on the end also.

Position matters a lot when your opponent draws and you're pat. Generally, bet your sevens, check your 9s and make a decision with your 8's.\

If your opponent is pat, you must estimate his range of hands and value bet/call based on that estimate. The thought process I use is fairly complicated and difficult to explain. A number of factors are used. For example, the earlier an opponent raps pat the stronger the hand is likely to be.

I typed this up pretty quickly. Hopefully, it's readable and can spark some discussion.

DeadMoneyOC
09-13-2005, 10:46 AM
One thing that I have realized in my week long 2-7 stint is that you need to pay attention to what people stand pat on and what people will call down with. I need to be more observant and practie my hand reading on the end.

I have ALWAYS been firing with 7s and smooth 8s. I am playing about 1/10th the stakes I am used to so I am definitly not afraid to put a lot of chips in the middle. The low stakes games I start to becoming formed around me. I sit down at an empty table in the .25-.50 games on UB and with in 5 minutes there are three 'regulars' sitting on my left!

In particular 87s seem to giving me a lot of trouble. I try to value bet them and I should check/call or maybe see a free showdown and I call down with 87s when I can sense I am beat. I think the same has kinda been true for me with 975s,96s,95s.

If I am in position also and I see that my opponent is drawing 1 I usually stand pat on all sorts of junk. Smooth jacks,rough Ts...I am not sure of this is good or bad but it usually comes down to this. A couple of my opponents notice that I may stand pat often in position with weak holding so sometimes I feel like I miss value when I check behind with my 98532 and I see they made a T or a J or something because I have a feeling I would be called. I KNOW this is pushing a really small edge and its not something I should flip my [censored] over playing in the .25 and .50 game but I imagine to be sucsessful at higher stakes you have to push these edges. In the maybe 10 days I have been playing on UB I have been on a MEGA rush and therefor have been playing like a freaking maniac!!! So in turn I get a ton of action. alla I feel like I am missing value.

Anywoo...im off to eat something. Ill be around tonight playing a little bit. I might be wasted also because I only have one class tommorow. Come get it while you can! I might post a hand or two if I deem it interesting enough. thanks again for the replies everyone

timprov
09-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Move up to 1/2 ASAP. The players aren't any better (might even be a little worse) and the rake won't eat you alive quite as much.

DeadMoneyOC
09-13-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Move up to 1/2 ASAP. The players aren't any better (might even be a little worse) and the rake won't eat you alive quite as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you are not kidding! That rake is insane! I was playing this guy HU yesterday and I noticed that. I was like WTF?

I played 1-2 the other night when I was wasted. I lost 50$ But right before that I lost a lot more than 50$ playing 10-20 stud8 on PP so I might now have been playing my best game.