PDA

View Full Version : AVG says I have a virus, now what

CostaRicaBill
09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I ran an AVG scan of my computer and it says I have various trojan horse viruses but I don't know what to do with them. It says "infected, embedded object" and there is no option to do anything with it. Should I go to the file and delete them? It also says, "Selected object is located inside archive and cannot be healed." Thanks

09-12-2005, 05:03 PM
avg is a free virus program and thats what u are getting, BUY norton or mcaffee, and these will take care of viruses, or u can also go to symantec.com for inof on how to remove viruses

Reef
09-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I used to use AVG, and now use AntiVir (its free). I think you should still be able to repair/delete files with AVG somehow

Nomad84
09-14-2005, 11:18 PM
I had the same issue on my parents' computer. Multiple trojans that AVG wouldn't heal because they were imbedded within archives. I believe that the recommended procedure was to back up that archive to a floppy or CD and then just delete the entire archive. In my case, the archives were some .cab files that weren't necessary anyway, so I deleted them, rebooted, ran AVG and everything came up clean.

Actually, I just searched again. I think this is what I read before. Read the bottom.

web page (http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,27725,backpage=,sv=)

Hiding
09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BUY norton or mcaffee

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton's is toilet paper and tough to impossible to uninstall, McAffe is a good program. The virus/trojan may be in a system file, try booting into safe mode and removing it from there. All that said I use AVG.

John Feeney
09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Norton's is toilet paper and tough to impossible to uninstall

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say that again. I had a hell of a time uninstalling Norton. Had to use a registry cleaner (regsupreme - a good one) to get rid of all the files it spewed everywhere. I switched to NOD32 and never had a problem with it, and it uninstalls easily and completely.

But now I have a new computer and want to go with something free, both on principle, and because the best software usually is free if you just know what to look for. (think firefox, and other mozilla products like filezilla and thunderbird, the GIMP or irfanview for photos, openoffice, etc.) The pay stuff is mostly overbloated and poorly written. The shop that made my computer installed AVG, but I'll probably go with Avast. If you do want to pay, I can recommend NOD32. It's cheaper and much better than Norton. I'm not sure, though, that I'd enable the new "phone home" function they include with it now.

Premium Hands
09-18-2005, 02:59 AM
I use AVG free and I had a similar issue a few months back. My virus was in the System Restore Volume. Turning off System Restore (deleting the previous restore points) did the job.