PDA

View Full Version : Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

sfer
09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I went to see them with megantw on Friday night. They were great. I like their CD a lot and had a blast at their show. They opened with Love Minus Zero/No Limit which was a complete surprise and it was terrific.

Also, their singer looks like Shant.

peachy
09-12-2005, 03:51 PM
who? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Soul Daddy
09-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Nice. They're here opening for The National next week. I can't wait.

istewart
09-12-2005, 03:52 PM
What's your favorite song?

sfer
09-12-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They were at this show too. Didn't stick around to see the main act.

sfer
09-12-2005, 03:55 PM
If anyone happened to be at the Bowery Ballroom on Friday night and heard someone yell, "Gimme Some Salt!!!!!! C'MON!!!!!! GIMME SOME SALT!!!!!!!" that was megantw.

jason_t
Going to the

10/07 Los Angeles, CA @ Troubadour † // All Ages

show featuring The National.

itsmesteve
I saw them a few weeks ago at South St. Seaport. Also an awesome show. They played two songs not on the album leading into Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood to close out the show, and they were both real good (especially the one with the Satan chant, gotta love that).

After seeing them live, the Dylan cover makes complete sense, IMO.

IndieMatty
09-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Edit: I got my answer. So I'll just say I'm going to do my best to get a picture of SFer dancing at the Arcade Fire show on thursday.

IndieMatty
09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They were at this show too. Didn't stick around to see the main act.

[/ QUOTE ]

WEAK!!!!!

I wish I had gone to this show.

chuddo
09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
cd is pretty great.

i am going to see them open for the national on the 22nd here in louisville.

i don't plan on sticking around for the main act either.

peachy
09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
ok...i cant not know who both these bands are /images/graemlins/frown.gif

What r some of the songs...i usually recognize songs not band names

Soul Daddy
09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cd is pretty great.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should, The National are good. See you there.

sfer
09-12-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw them a few weeks ago at South St. Seaport. Also an awesome show. They played two songs not on the album leading into Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood to close out the show, and they were both real good (especially the one with the Satan chant, gotta love that).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Satan chant was a lot of fun, and Shant really sounds a bit like Dylan.

johnnycakes
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cd is pretty great.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should, The National are good. See you there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are good. And I will be there too.

megantw
09-12-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone happened to be at the Bowery Ballroom on Friday night and heard someone yell, "Gimme Some Salt!!!!!! C'MON!!!!!! GIMME SOME SALT!!!!!!!" that was megantw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I waited until an appropriate amount of songs had been played to make the request. They wouldn't have played it otherwise.

Oh, and I hate you.

shant
09-12-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, their singer looks like Shant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, he kinda does. Maybe I should go to the show with Jason and trick some hot female fans.

bdk3clash
09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I've yet to catch CYHSY fever but I'm sure I will a few months too late to ever see them in a non-arena setting. Anyway, I'm going to see Nouvelle Vague on Wednesday at Canal Room in NYC--anyone else going (or want to go?) You can check out some of their songs here. (http://hype.non-standard.net/search/nouvelle/1/) They basically do bossa nova covers of punk/new wave songs and are awesome.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, here's an awesome Pixies/Dylan mashup. (http://hype.non-standard.net/search/bob%20dylan%20pixies/1/)

megantw
09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Two things you should have mentioned:

1. The bassist did a funny mumbling thing with his lips whenever he struck a note on his bass, as if the notes were coming out of his mouth.

2. Guy geeking out with the tambourine. He bopped up and down! Eee!

B Dids
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I appreciate that people are at least making up bands with cool names, but you guys should just stop it already.

sfer
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. The bassist did a funny mumbling thing with his lips whenever he struck a note on his bass, as if the notes were coming out of his mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention this because the lower-jaw bassist was in the opening-opening band. I win. Again.

megantw
09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention this because the lower-jaw bassist was in the opening-opening band. I win. Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also forgot to mention how you pointed out to me that the guitarist in the opening band was lacking genitalia.

sfer
09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You also forgot to mention how you pointed out to me that the guitarist in the opening band was lacking genitalia.

[/ QUOTE ]

My exact words were, "Look, he doesn't have a package." Thanks for spilling my beer.

bdk3clash
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
http://www.comicspage.com/images/comics/bigicons/loveisbig.gif

jgorham
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
They are also playing on UCLA's campus earlier that afternoon. I think I am going to the 10/6 show at the troubadour otherwise I would meet ya there!

Edit: Favorite song: Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away

istewart
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to catch CYHSY fever but I'm sure I will a few months too late to ever see them in a non-arena setting. Anyway, I'm going to see Nouvelle Vague on Wednesday at Canal Room in NYC--anyone else going (or want to go?) You can check out some of their songs here. (http://hype.non-standard.net/search/nouvelle/1/) They basically do bossa nova covers of punk/new wave songs and are awesome.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, here's an awesome Pixies/Dylan mashup. (http://hype.non-standard.net/search/bob%20dylan%20pixies/1/)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this!

jason_t
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Satan chant was a lot of fun, and Shant really sounds a bit like Dylan.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I think I mentioned in my car a couple of weeks ago, he sounds like Gordan Gano of Violent Femmes to me.

jason_t
09-12-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are also playing on UCLA's campus earlier that afternoon. I think I am going to the 10/6 show at the troubadour otherwise I would meet ya there!

Edit: Favorite song: Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't actually bought tickets yet. shant and I could go to the 10/6 show. It'd be nice to meet you.

bwana devil
09-12-2005, 04:31 PM
cool thanks for the heads up. just bought my ticket for the austin show in october.

bwana

itsmesteve
09-12-2005, 04:32 PM
I've also seen/heard comparisons to David Byrne of Talking Heads fame, which i can kinda see from time to time.

Eurotrash
09-12-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate that people are at least making up bands with cool names, but you guys should just stop it already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, I've done a bit of research on them...

http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_09.01.05/music/photos/clapyourhandssayyeah.JPG

while not quite Sufjan Stevens and the Michigan Militia, these guys seem to be pushing it. is that a fire extinguisher?

where's Patrick when you need his opinion?

vulturesrow
09-12-2005, 04:37 PM
CYHSY (http://clapyourhandssayyeah.com/shows.php)

sfer
09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I can see that. Live, he spits and snarls and slurs and sometimes enunciates a lot like Dylan.

scrub
09-12-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I think I mentioned in my car a couple of weeks ago, he sounds like Gordan Gano of Violent Femmes to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was after we dropped them off.

scrub

shant
09-12-2005, 05:42 PM
http://clapyourhandssayyeah.com/images/alec.jpg http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8757/me8yz.jpg

Klepton
09-12-2005, 05:44 PM
brilliant

istewart
09-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Wow.

jason_t
09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Soul Daddy
09-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Saw them last night in a little dive bar. They were great, though they didn't play my favorite of their songs.

Half of the crowd spilled out after they were finished and missed a phenomenal performance by The National. If you're going to see this show, don't make the same mistake.

IndieMatty
09-23-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saw them last night in a little dive bar. They were great, though they didn't play my favorite of their songs.

Half of the crowd spilled out after they were finished and missed a phenomenal performance by The National. If you're going to see this show, don't make the same mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you perhaps do any drunk dining afterwards?

shant
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Jason and I trid to get tickets yesterday for the LA show and it is sold out. There go my plans.

Soul Daddy
09-23-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you perhaps do any drunk dining afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, you already know. This is the proper post-concert food, preferably the French Onion variety.

http://erich.typepad.com/erichian/images/slyder.jpg

private joker
09-23-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jason and I trid to get tickets yesterday for the LA show and it is sold out. There go my plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys suck. I have tickets. And I'm not going to pull a Dave and actually f[/i]ucking leave before The National comes on. The National are the reason I bought the tickets back in July. CYHSY is a bonus.

bwana devil
10-12-2005, 01:18 AM
just got back from their show 10 minutes ago. thanks for the post about their show sfer or i would have never gone.

actually when you posted about them i had never heard their music just knew of them. figured for $10 why not try it and i saw they were selling out shows so i knew i didnt have the luxury to listen first and then decide if i wanted to go. i have been listening to their album ALOT the last month. the austin show sold out a week ago and there were the usual beggars looking for tickets outside the show.

anyway about the show. they were really good. only played for about 40 minutes but played most of their album and did it well. only missing song which i believe you grumbled about also was "gimme some salt."

they played a couple songs which i could have done w/out which werent on their album so i wish they would have done salt in their place. one was a really silly one in the vein of the dead milkmen where the whole band just yelled "satan" throughout and the other was a song the band didnt know well enough and had to read while playing and messed up several times.

but other album songs were great. the skin of my yellow teeth was probably the best. the crowd was extra loud for that one.

and i had a great spot. about 7 feet back dead center. i took a picture of shant w/ my cell phone but it didnt turn out too well.

and when clap was over i left. was planning on staying for the nationals but clap started later than i thought they would and bwana's got to work tomorrow...and i just havent been digging the nationals too much. sorry private joker.

bwana