PDA

View Full Version : ING Direct Savings Accounts

DavidC
09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Firstly, the tutorials / information on their site are pretty useless.

I live in Canada, and RBC is offering I think 1.4% on a 1-year GIC, cashable without penalty in 30 days.

ING Direct is offering 3%, temporarily, on their savings accounts, until the end of the year (if they don't cancel it at any time without notice, which they're allowed to do).

Their standard interest rate is 2.6%, and the caveat here is that they only pay 3% on the balance that's over-and-above what you have already had in the account on Aug 31st.

I called them up, and in order to set up an account, you give them a cheque, payable to yourself, and mail it to them. Then when that check clears you call them up and they get some more info. I'll post more as the situation develops (i.e. making standard deposits / withdrawls, any difficulties, etc).

Anyone else have ING direct accounts? I'm curious as to what your experience has been like.

Also, I think it's a little like Neteller, in that it takes a while for the funds to hit your account when you w/d from this bank, as they're wiring the money. Therefore you wouldn't want to do this with part of your poker roll, etc.

ING Direct Canadian savings accounts are protected by the CDIC for up to $100k.

--Dave.

FishHooks
09-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread here I have a small question of my own, I know their intrest is is around 3.15% is that compounded each year, day month.

hoopsie44
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
I have an ING Direct account here in the States and have had no problems. I transfer money back and forth between my regular bank account and ING.They're paying 3%, which is considerably more than Chase pays. I opened my account the same way you mentioned, by mailing them a personal check made out to myself. Within a week the check cleared and my account was ready to go. Transfers between Chase and ING take 2 business days.

4_2_it
09-12-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have an ING Direct account here in the States and have had no problems. I transfer money back and forth between my regular bank account and ING.They're paying 3%, which is considerably more than Chase pays. I opened my account the same way you mentioned, by mailing them a personal check made out to myself. Within a week the check cleared and my account was ready to go. Transfers between Chase and ING take 2 business days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Don't know if Canadian banking regs are different, but the current ING rate is 3.3% in the US.

SossMan
09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack your thread here I have a small question of my own, I know their intrest is is around 3.15% is that compounded each year, day month.

[/ QUOTE ]

the difference is marginal either way.

DavidC
09-12-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure. However, their bonus interest (the 0.6% that's on top of the 2.4%) is calculated daily.

DavidC
09-12-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the difference is marginal either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to the Sossman, for he is wise of many things.

FishHooks
09-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Yes I know, but I was just wondering what the answer is, you always get these kind of posts in this forum.

chisness
09-13-2005, 03:53 AM
hsbc offers 3.75% apr