PDA

View Full Version : Question about Poker Essays 2 hold'em theory by Mason Malmuth

09-12-2005, 03:11 PM
In poker essays 2 Mason points out that if you held (AQ unsuited) in a unraise multi-way pot and is in late position you should just call. But if you held (J,10 suited) in early position then it is ok to raise with that hand. My question is that I have always thought that with AQ you want to try to narrow down the field by raising and with J,10 which is more like a drawing hand you should keep the pot multi-way to get the right implied odd. But this theory kind of go aganist this idea. So I want to see what you guys think about this and why is Mason suggesting this

tek
09-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Maybe the logic is to limp in with AQ and make top two or tptk, while with J10 you want to get pairs to fold...

09-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Case one, with AQ, is covered in HEFAP. Basically, you want the pot small so you can force unfavorable odds on drawing hands. This assumes competent players though. Against incompetents, the SSH line is preferred (raising preflop).

I don't get the JTs statement though. Raising early just puts you up against premimum hands. I can see raising in late position. Again, the HEFAP line is the PFR in late position ties people to the pot when you hit your hand. Again though, assume competent players. Incompetents will call down anyway, so you don't need to tie them to the pot.