PDA

View Full Version : Like or dislike this stop n go play at the 11s???

09-12-2005, 02:39 PM
I just had a bad beat that left me real low in chips with the blinds getting ready to increase in just a few hands. i figured i needed to make a stand really fast before i had no FE. i was pretty sure i was going to get called if i just pooshed preflop but i thought i couldnt really afford a fold here. a stop n go seemes like the only way to get a fold here. i saw the villian as a decent player at the 11s.

100/200 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 15656168) - Sun Sep 11 21:10:02 EDT 2005
Table Table 11060 (Real Money) -- Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 2: Wallis_ (1535)
Seat 3: ghuffer (585)
Seat 4: MastiffGuy03 (165)
Seat 5: GDK12 (850)
Seat 6: Kennat (1370)
Seat 7: hero (545)
Seat 8: yosoyveneno (1080)
Seat 9: oman99 (1870)
Kennat posts small blind (50)
hero posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ Td, 9s ]
yosoyveneno raises (200) to 200
oman99 folds.
Wallis_ folds.
ghuffer folds.
MastiffGuy03 folds.
GDK12 folds.
Kennat folds.
hero calls (100)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 2c, 6c, Js ]
hero bets (345)

barry111
09-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I dont like it. A min-raise here almost always means a big PP, I would rather wait for an unopened pot and push.

KramerTM
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
I think you're getting called here anyway, but between pushing PF and pulling a Stop-n-Go, I guess the latter is more effective.

Note to you: Phil Gordon says be "selectively aggressive." I think this is a spot where you are just being aggressive. You are facing a small raise from an UTG raiser in a pot where people might think you're steaming. Consider your table image before making a move like this.

09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
You should make the Stop'n'go when you have a small pair and read the villain for having two big face cards. You push the flop hoping it missed them. Or, you have two big face cards and read villian for a low pair, you push the flop when overcards to thier pair come down. Both situations are looking for a fold because you dont believe them to fold pf. (At least I think this is why you use a St'n'g. /images/graemlins/confused.gif )

Your situation is much different, T9 is bad and your stack size is worse. Villian is being offered a pot of 795 for a price of 345, thats better than 2:1 and the loss only slightly hurts him.

My diagnosis, fold and wait for a spot where you can open the pot in sb, but, or CO and push any two.

I welcome the veterans to flame my thought proccess.

09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
do u think a fold is the correct move with thought to my chip stack and the blind levels. if i fold here i am pretty limited with little or no FE and still have to go thru the small blind next hand. i was thinking a fold pretty much cripples me for the rest of the tourney??? n e thoughts on this???

09-12-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A min-raise here almost always means a big PP

[/ QUOTE ]

People need to stop saying this.

09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should make the Stop'n'go when you have a small pair and read the villain for having two big face cards. You push the flop hoping it missed them. Or, you have two big face cards and read villian for a low pair, you push the flop when overcards to thier pair come down. Both situations are looking for a fold because you dont believe them to fold pf. (At least I think this is why you use a St'n'g. /images/graemlins/confused.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too specific. Use the stop and go when you 1) feel committed for your entire stack 2) think your opponent won't fold preflop and 3) think you'd rather have your opponent fold a flop he whiffed than call on a whiffed flop (i.e. he's likely to have correct odds to call you regardless of the flop)

This happens in a pretty wide range of situations. It tends to be a function of your chip stack more than your hand (although I guess you should stop and go much less frequently with AA than with 77). Here, IMHO, 3 is satisfied sufficiently (if you hit two pair or better, you probably want to check). 2 isn't that questionable. He's getting 2-1, he probably thinks you're steaming, and he's shown interest. But are you committed? I'm really not sure and would like to hear some other opinions. I look for an excuse to fold here, but I'm not sure that that's right. (This is almost the same as asking if you'd be willing to call a push here.)

To clarify, if the blinds are twice as big, stop and go is a clear best play (you're very committed, there's no folding preflop, and it'd be really dumb for him to fold any flop).

durron597
09-12-2005, 03:22 PM
You have no FE with your stack on the flop either. You push is not even pot sized.

09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have no FE with your stack on the flop either. You push is not even pot sized.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Might as well try.