PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Table images

09-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Sort of two questions here. Number one, I have always been conflicted between intentionally advertising a few crazy, stupid plays early in a session to make people call me for more money on my big hands later on, and the whole idea of only showing up big hands so you can pull off more bluffs. It seems to me that pulling off more bluffs _should_ be better since naturally every session you will have booku hands to bluff with and only a very few hands to get paid on, but goddamn I hate not getting paid on those big hands because everyone gives me respect!

2. Actual physical appearance. I also fluctuate between dressing in $800 worth of clothes, and wearing jeans a wifebeater and flip flops. I have had newer players actually foolish enough to let me know they find my appearance intimidating in the former, while mostly nobody even talks to me while presenting the latter:) The general idea with each is that if I look like I have a lot of money and have a professional appearance in general, players may be less willing to contest pots or bluff at me. On the other hand, they may underestimate me and try to run me over when I look like some trailer kid. I also tend to mix them up, playing semi loose aggressive when dressed up, and the tighter, more careful player when underdressed. I figure if my appearance implies one thing, I should play the other way. Am I putting way too much stock in all this or what is everyone's opinions? Been doing it forever but have no real idea if any of it makes any difference, or if i'm more profitable one way or the other. I try to mostly match it up with the game i'm going to play, but how can I know? Should I stick to it for placebo effect no matter what or what?:)

BusterFlush
09-12-2005, 04:36 PM
The answer to this question may depend on your limits. Dressing like a professional type may be +ev in a higher stakes game where the players assume it is some rich guy trying to take a shot. Make a donkey move here to confirm their thoughts may work.
From what I have seen and in talking to others it seems that most players do not even consider appearance much. Style of play, results, and a players actions form stronger charactorizations.
With so many newbies out there table image from an appearance stand point does not matter.

smartalecc5
09-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Worry about playing cards first.