PDA

View Full Version : Question about Variance

09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
This is probably a terrible question but I am new to the idea of variance and had a question about it. If your experiencing a bad line of sit n' go's and in a huge slump, would it make sense to just go to the lowest buy-in tournaments possible and play them until you get out of your slump, then head back to your regular buyins .Or does it not work that way?

"Your born broke, you die broke, the rest is just fluctuation."

raptor517
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a terrible question but I am new to the idea of variance and had a question about it. If your experiencing a bad line of sit n' go's and in a huge slump, would it make sense to just go to the lowest buy-in tournaments possible and play them until you get out of your slump, then head back to your regular buyins .Or does it not work that way?

"Your born broke, you die broke, the rest is just fluctuation."

[/ QUOTE ]

i keep moving up in limits so i get even quicker. much better to do that way. holla

lorinda
09-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Sadly variance has no memory.

The only time your suggestion is correct is if you feel that the downswing is making you play worse.

Lori

sahala
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I agree with what Lorinda said, but you should ensure that your bankroll is sufficient enough for your current buy-in level to get you through downswings. There are a bunch of discussions on here that recommend bankroll sizes. Since you seem concerned enough about your slump to post, maybe moving down is the correct move. I generally prefer not to move down a level and instead focus on playing better, maybe by reviewing the hand histories of the past N games that were giving me trouble.

citanul
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
your line of thinking would only really work if the games were in some way rigged.

however, if you actually believe your play is being influenced by the way you are running, for instance, if your confidence moves with results, moving down to a stakes where you believe you can kill the game without thought is a totally reasonable thing to do.

citanul

Nicholasp27
09-12-2005, 02:05 PM
no, just like if u flip a coin and it lands on heads 50 times in a row, it's still a 50/50 on what it lands next...same applies to roulette...

unless the downswing makes you play worse or lowers your bankroll enough to make u lower levels, then just play it out at the current level and you will eventually converge towards your actual true roi