PDA

View Full Version : Foreign aid ineffective ?

vulturesrow
09-12-2005, 12:21 PM
From Cato:

Link (http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=4653)

Summary:

The foreign aid industry has for decades tried one approach after another in an effort to make aid work. A career of field experience in the aid industry, however, confirms the empirical record that aid is unimportant to growth or poverty reduction and suggests that aid is not likely to work in the future. The belief that foreign assistance has been generally ineffective, moreover, appears to be widespread among aid practitioners with long field experience.

The current effort by the United Nations to double worldwide aid flows is part of a pattern to reinvent foreign aid. Since the 1950s, the industry has alternately focused on promoting industrialization, agriculture, poverty reduction, health, institutions, and so on. The UN has sponsored numerous grandiose resolutions that have also failed to spur development.

We have come to the point where new ideas on making aid work are recycled old ideas. In practice, the aid industry has not changed much. The ineffectiveness of aid has little to do with a lack of resources. Its roots lie instead in the complex nature of poverty and the flawed nature of institutions and governments in poor countries. The aid industry's bureaucratic continuing growth also undermines effectiveness and accountability. Rich nations should reject calls for increasing aid and should probably reduce such funding.

sam h
09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
It depends what your goal happens to be, IMO. If the goal is stimulating economic development, the empirical returns are basically in: foreign aid doesn't work. But if you think that smaller goals are important in and of themselves - raising literacy rates, controlling AIDs, etc - then aid can work if the programs are good and the government is not totally corrupt (not a given, obviously).

There is a great book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262550423/qid=1126543570/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2660055-6855004?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) on the failure of various "magic bullets" for third world development since WWII called The Elusive Quest for Growth, by William Easterley. Highly readable and highly recommended.

lehighguy
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
That does look like a really interesting book. I think I'm going to make it the next on my list.

kevyk
09-12-2005, 05:21 PM
At least one economist disagrees. (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=000E4C4C-F093-1304-ABA283414B7F0000&pageNumber=1&catID=2)

BCPVP
09-12-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least one economist disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]
An economist who works for the very agency charged with inefficiency with handling and distributing money. Not very comforting...

vulturesrow
09-12-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That does look like a really interesting book. I think I'm going to make it the next on my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Concur. Thanks for the recommendation Sam.

theBruiser500
09-12-2005, 09:00 PM
How about countries in Europe? Someone told me that the EU accepts new country, poorer countries and then gives them money to develop infrastructure. Those poor countries do this and get richer and then trade with the richer countries and everyone is happy. He said that this has worked so far with I believe, Portugal, Spain, and the country with Prague in it. Since joining the EU those countries economies have done a lot better.

sam h
09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about countries in Europe? Someone told me that the EU accepts new country, poorer countries and then gives them money to develop infrastructure. Those poor countries do this and get richer and then trade with the richer countries and everyone is happy. He said that this has worked so far with I believe, Portugal, Spain, and the country with Prague in it. Since joining the EU those countries economies have done a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that some of the European countries have been quite successful over the last quarter-century. But this has much more to do with (a) actual inclusion in the EU, which is almost akin to being made an American state (b) geographical proximity to rich countries, which helps in a variety of ways and (c) a better institutional base upon which to build (functioning state, legal system, political parties, etc) than many developing countries had to begin with.

So I don't think those success stories are really about foreign aid per se, but a host of other factors.