PDA

View Full Version : Just quit my job. Advice needed.

Marlow
09-12-2005, 12:07 PM
No, I'm not going pro. Yes, I have a nice shiny new job to go to. Yes, I'm excited!

But here's my question: I do good work at my current job, but I slack off WAY too much. It's become a vicious circle where I'm bored at work, so I read 2+2 all day, which makes me even more dissastified. My slacking has now changed from a way to ease the problem to part of the problem. In my new job, I want to start on the right foot, but I'm afraid that I'll carry bad habits with me. Has anyone else had expereince with these things? Obviously, I shouldn't be reading 2+2 in the new job, but this could take some psychological adjustment. Can anyone give some advice for how I can make this change?

Thanks for your help!

Marlow

Bralynn
09-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd love to give you advice, but I'm reading your post from work.

KramerTM
09-12-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Krazy Dan
09-12-2005, 12:42 PM
I make it a point not to read any forums while at work. I'd suggest waking up early and getting your 2+2 fix for 30-45 minutes. Especially read threads with a lot of discussion in it, and it will give you something to think about at the back of your mind. If you're too busy, you won't think about 2+2 at all, and if you're bored you'll have something to ponder without actually looking at 2+2.

Just a thought, of course.

Marlow
09-12-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I (seriously) almost laughed out loud at this, but I couldn't because I'm at work. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyone see a pattern here?

jb9
09-12-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

P.S. If you figure out a solution to being productive, please post it here so I can clear off my 'to do' list some day.

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't think that's very good advice at all because reading threads in the morning will only make you want to check them later for replies.

We'd all be happier if we only used 2+2 for advice on specific hands and stopped lurking out of boredom.

Marlow
09-12-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that's very good advice at all because reading threads in the morning will only make you want to check them later for replies.

We'd all be happier if we only used 2+2 for advice on specific hands and stopped lurking out of boredom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. Well how about this, then...

Does anyone feel that 2+2ing during the day has become part of the problem (bored at work)?

If no, why not? If so, why, and do you want to change your behavior?

Marlow

onegymrat
09-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi Marlow,

This may be a problem that deals with discipline in your life, with which you need to control. Although I am responding during work hours also, I make it a point to do so only in between projects/tasks that I need to complete first. My job is my bread and butter, while poker, however much of a nice side income as it may be, is a just a hobby. I'm sure your new job is terrific, hopefully providing a nice income and benefits, as well as a challenge for your mind. Make sure it's a priority. Taking an analogy from poker, you only get to play this hand well once. Do it right. There's always another poker hand being dealt, but a good job/career doesn't come around that often.

Perhaps you can use this forum as a reward? Read it only at certain times of the day as an unofficial "break" or after a certain task is finished. And only read/post for a short period of time, perhaps just one forum out of the many?

Good luck to you and your new job.

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, it was a problem for me at my last job. My boss was a nut-job and so I could not, psychologically, put in 110% or the kind of effort that would really make me feel good about myself. Once I got my necessary work done I would sometimes lurk here or engage in other non-productive activity, but what I really wanted was to be motivated and like my work environment enough to put in that 110%.

The cold, cruel advice I can give you is to simply block the webpages at work that will allow you to goof off: personal emails accounts, 2+2, and whatever else...

PokerCad
09-12-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] right on the money gymrat, though we all aspire to be megarich poker stars therefore always improving our game with 2+2 (though I am not a huge poster my daily read gives me a wealth of knowledge, thanks guys) the reality is we need to be successful in our "real jobs"

PS I cant figure out this quote thingjavascript:void(0)
/images/graemlins/mad.gif

DarrenX
09-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I, too, am lurking during work hours. My boss is somewhat old-school in the fact that he needs 'face time' at the office to show you're dedicated to your job, even though the results may speak for themselves.

So I try to limit my lurking/posting to after hours (at work), and/or as a reward when a project is finished/reaches a landmark. He'll see me here late deep in thought on a post, but he'll think I'm burning the midnight oil- everybody wins. Just make sure you're smooth with your alt-tab fingers... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

chiachu
09-12-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same... man we suck /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Krazy Dan
09-12-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With that morning read, it takes some self-control to not read during the day, and you must consider it an exchange for 2+2 time at work. If you don't have the control to not read at work (even after giving yourself the time in the morning), then you might have some self-control problems that will hurt you in your job, poker, and other aspects of your life.

We're all going to be bored at work, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't assert self-control.

Warren Whitmore
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
When it comes to self control Sklanskys advice in poker, gaming & life: the article willpower is quite good.

TheClown
09-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Tell the administrator at your work to block you from www.twoplustwo.com (http://www.twoplustwo.com)

KaneKungFu123
09-14-2005, 08:56 AM
i thought you started a fight club...

pokerjoker
09-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Just gotta quit cold turkey...at least for a bit. You will adjust to not reading 2+2 and slacking off on the job in a few weeks (hopefully). After that I start slacking off again in incrementts.