PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Monsters

09-12-2005, 11:36 AM
As a new player, is it natural to be too cautious?

If I have big slick in my hand, and the flop comes A44, I just *know* somebody has a 4 in their hand, I just know it! I'll put a bet out there with my big pair, but if someone calls, well, he's probably floped fours full of aces! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Do these mostly unfounded fears fade with experience?

Neil Stevens
09-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Experience with the usual players at that limit should help.

Making sure you're playing with sufficient bankroll is important, too. Don't bet amounts of money you're afraid to lose.

09-12-2005, 11:58 AM
What limit are you playing? Many mid stakes or small stakes players make illogical calls all the time. Often calling to the river when they are likely drawing dead. Someone could be calling your bet on a straight draw, a flush draw, overcards to the four (thinking your bluffing), a weaker ace, a mid-range pocket pair, or nothing at all.

Don't let irrational calls scare you away. If you are afraid of them, they beat you without even coming into play. Weak-tight is not a winning strategy in hold em.

That being said, you should be completely aggro either. You should find a balance where your plays mathematically have a positive expectation.

Mr. Curious
09-12-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I have big slick in my hand, and the flop comes A44, I just *know* somebody has a 4 in their hand, I just know it! I'll put a bet out there with my big pair, but if someone calls, well, he's probably floped fours full of aces! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Do these mostly unfounded fears fade with experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way the fear will go away is if you figure out where it is coming from, acknowledge the root cause, and then let it go. Next time you play and feel this fear, stop playing and figure out why you feel that way.

Awareness is the first step.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're up on 2+2, you are no longer a "new" player. Stop thinking like the fish. You are now a predator waiting for the opportune moment to unleash your fury and claim what is yours.

onegymrat
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi hecubus,

Welcome to the forum. It is extremely odd for you to say that you know someone would have flopped trips on you. How are you getting this instinct? It is not logical for you to state this.

Think of all the hands that an opponent could call your flop bet. Any ace? Any pocket pair? A flush draw? A straight draw? Most low-limit players will take one off the flop (perhaps even the turn) with the above mention, as well as king-high in some cases. Combine all the hands possible versus the ones that have you beat (AA and any 4), I think your chances of being ahead is overwhelmingly good.

Unless I have five or more players to the flop, I would not be so concerned with being behind with your particular example. Make the pair a 10, J, or Q, then it's much more believable. And even then, I may still be value betting/raising, and that would completely depend on the type of player that I am opposing.

What you need is experience and more experience. Keep enjoying the learning and playing process, and good luck.

ackid
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I have big slick in my hand, and the flop comes A44, I just *know* somebody has a 4 in their hand, I just know it! I'll put a bet out there with my big pair, but if someone calls, well, he's probably floped fours full of aces!

This is where recall and common sense come into play.

Plus what are the variables?

1.How many players r in the hand? 1 or 2, I wouldnt worry too much about a 4 out especially if you raised prefolp.
They most likely are calling w/ a weaker ace or possible flush draw if 2 suits r on board.

2.If your facing a large field say (4-5) callers you will probably know if your beat by the turn. This where most players would raise a 4.

3. Also where is the raise coming from if you limped and both blinds called they may have a 4.

4. You may also get raised on the turn by a tricky player who is bluffing.

It alot to consider but you have a good hand more times than often in this spot.