PDA

View Full Version : My Situation with Halo

brassnuts
09-12-2005, 03:54 AM
A brief history. I am now living with a Halo addict. I've not been much into video games before. That is except for CS , and I was obsessed, and still only halfway decent compared to the best. Anyways, in Halo, somehow along the way I learned to play Southpaw. This configuration is seriously flawed when it comes to maneuverability. My options are as follows:

a) give up all together (my choice)
b) learn to play default
c) keep playing southpaw (I could never be good playing this style)

This post only really applies to people are hardcore into Halo. Otherwise, you wouldn't realize the difficulties faced with a "southpaw" controller setup.

NLSoldier
09-12-2005, 03:57 AM
learn to play default it is clearly superior.. its not that hard to switch. my brother switched from lagacy to default after hundreds of horus of playing legacy. it doenst take all that long to adjust.

or better yet quit all together cuz halo 2 sucks balls.

09-12-2005, 03:59 AM
We aren't really talking about halo in this conversation, are we boys?

NLSoldier
09-12-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stfu n00b

brassnuts
09-12-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about serious life choices here dickweed.

09-12-2005, 04:05 AM
Have you guys ever watched someone else practice default for the first time after being trained on south paw?

LotsOfOuts69
09-12-2005, 04:08 AM
What? No Love for inverted? How can you shoot on default? Inverted is the way to go.

brassnuts
09-12-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you guys ever watched someone else practice default for the first time after being trained on south paw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just myself. After about 30 minutes I can almost fluently control myself. Actually hitting a target is a compeltely different story. My estimation is that, to be competent, I would need at least 10 hours, which, believe it or not, is more than I've spent playing Halo 2. For the record, I've probably only spent 20 hours TOPS playing the first Halo. As I said, I don't play video games very much at all.

brassnuts
09-12-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
learn to play default it is clearly superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

See... the problem doesn't lie within the actual game-type setup. The problem is actually in the controller desigm.

TStoneMBD
09-12-2005, 04:33 AM
how good could you possibly be good if youve only spent 30 hours playing both games combined? even if you cant hit a target now that youre on default you probably couldnt hit one well before. im also not sure why you made this thread if you hardly play the game.

sorry to be harsh. however, if you were a serious halo player i would entirely understand your problem. southpaw players cant do anything, unless perhaps you were good with your pinkie finger. if you made this thread because youll be playing alot of halo in the future with your addict roomate, it shouldnt take you long to adapt to the new playing style since youve only trained yourself for a limited period of time anyway.

alot of the timing in halo is muscle reflex after youve played the game long enough. if you had been playing relentlessly on south paw, by switching you would probably be losing almost all of your skills. i doubt thats the case here.

TStoneMBD
09-12-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
learn to play default it is clearly superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

See... the problem doesn't lie within the actual game-type setup. The problem is actually in the controller desigm.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, if they made a controller with the buttons onthe left side your problem would be solved... but then youd have to adapt to the new controller style. i wonder why xbox hasnt done this (unless they have and i dont know about it).

brassnuts
09-12-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how good could you possibly be good if youve only spent 30 hours playing both games combined? even if you cant hit a target now that youre on default you probably couldnt hit one well before. im also not sure why you made this thread if you hardly play the game.

sorry to be harsh. however, if you were a serious halo player i would entirely understand your problem. southpaw players cant do anything, unless perhaps you were good with your pinkie finger. if you made this thread because youll be playing alot of halo in the future with your addict roomate, it shouldnt take you long to adapt to the new playing style since youve only trained yourself for a limited period of time anyway.

alot of the timing in halo is muscle reflex after youve played the game long enough. if you had been playing relentlessly on south paw, by switching you would probably be losing almost all of your skills. i doubt thats the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand the problem very well. Maybe I'm quick to become and old dog, but 30 hours to me is a lot in terms of the subconscious and muscle memory. Good reply, though I was actually prety competent before. But, this is only because I am tactfully aware and fairly good naturally at the game.

[censored] it. So far, from the replies here (and my friend's suggestion) it looks like I'm going to learn to game over again as default. I'm sure it can be done. Just a lot of hard work to be good at a stupid video game.

aK13
09-12-2005, 06:25 AM
Halo sucks.

Yeah, thats right, I said it.

Bulldog
09-12-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You understand the problem very well. Maybe I'm quick to become and old dog, but 30 hours to me is a lot in terms of the subconscious and muscle memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know too much about muscle memory, except that it takes 10,000 reps to groove a basketball shooting motion. I doubt 30 hours is going to groove anything.

pokerdirty
09-12-2005, 09:33 AM
i've played this game for at LEAST 15 hrs a week from last November until mid-August, and i will be the 40th person to tell you....sample size too small.

my recommendation would be to play team training and get used to default

you may still be the best person in the room, despite your handicap

(yes, i do have a life, i just don't sleep a lot)