PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 pair- back to my old passive ways

Inthacup
04-30-2003, 12:52 AM
Average 2 4 game. Straightforward preflop, things get aggressive as players make hands

UTG+2 and UTG+3 limp, I limp with J /forums/images/icons/club.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif (I can't remember the last time I limped w/ J10un like this). LP calls, Button calls, SB completes. 7 players to the flop for 1 SB each.

Flop: 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I'm hoping someone bets out so I can raise. Checked to me, I bet, LP, Button, and SB fold. BB calls as do both EP.

Turn: 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Checked to UTG+2, who bets. I'm next and call, as do both other players.

River: 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

BB checks, UTG+1 now comes alive and bets, UTG+2 folds(that really surprised me), I call, BB calls.

All I can say was this hand was really weird.

Bob T.
04-30-2003, 04:47 AM
Its a little scary, but what do you think about raising the turn. If noone is on the straight yet, you are going to charge the 1 card draws a lot to try and get there. If you get three bet, you still have four likely outs to win.

On the river, with both a three straight, and a three flush out there, especially with someone waking up on the river, I think that you can only call.

Jeffage
04-30-2003, 06:35 AM
You've got an easy turn raise in my opinion. A turned straight would probably go for a checkraise...this strikes me as someone picking up a draw with their pair (such as someone with QJ or Q10). He could also have something like 10-9. I would raise and make them pay to suckout if their behind as well as to try to get it heads up with the turn bettor.

Jeff

rigoletto
04-30-2003, 06:49 AM
I'm hoping someone bets out so I can raise

Are you becoming a weak player - you seem overly concerned about the draws and you didn't raise the turn because of a scarecard?

Joe Tall
04-30-2003, 07:17 AM
I would raise the turn...if you are reraised you know that KQ limped, but I don't find that in these games,...as for the EP coming alive and the turn better folding, we may have a Kxs limp of diamonds taking this down.

lil'
04-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Your pre-flop limp is a tad loose, no?

Yeah, I think this turn is screaming for a raise, as there may be several players who are drawing now. Make them pay. The river looks good.

Homer
04-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Preflop - The limp is questionable, but not necessarily wrong. It depends on the texture of the game. Sometimes I'll limp from a similar position with JTo or QTo, but not always. PokerTracker tells me that I'm making money with these hands in MP, so I must not be making too big of a mistake, if one at all.

Turn - Seems like you have an easy raise here. There's a good chance that no one has a straight, and by raising you make the draws pay. If re-raised call and fold on the river unless you fill. This costs at most one more bet than going call, call (if someone does have the straight).

River - I'd be tempted to fold with all the possible flushes and straights out there, especially since it was a new bettor who came to life when the flush card came. Then I'd smack myself and call with my top two because it will be good enough of the time to justify calling in this game.

-- Homer

eMarkM
04-30-2003, 09:56 AM
I muck JTo in this position preflop. You flop top pair, there's just too many ways to get dominated. JTs or JTo in later position, limp is fine.

Raise the turn!

Inthacup
04-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Uggghhhhh. This was not a very fun hand for me. I liked playing J10un, because I haven't played it in so long, but it proved to be trouble on this hand.

Preflop: I felt there was a very low chance of a raise coming in behind me.

Flop: I wanted a bettor before me so I could raise. Someone asked if I was being weak tight...but I don't see that. J10 w/ 2 diamonds has so many draws, I'd love to charge people heavily on the flop. There's KQ, Q8, 98 and any 2 diamonds to worry about here(I'm excluding AQ and AK because no preflop raise). I want others to be making tough decisions here, because my hand is very vulnerable here.

Turn: 9 is a scare card. I didn't like it at all. When UTG+2 bet out, I felt pretty good that he had KQ or Q8. I was hoping he had a hand like 10 9 or J9. I should have raised but I got scared, and wimped out.

River: Diamond, another scare card. Alot of people in this pot, and I'm not sure what they have(thanks to my poor turn play). So when the UTG+1 comes out of hibernation, I'm thinking I'm done. I almost folded. The pot was pretty big at this point and I just couldn't bring myself to fold. I was soo thankful with BB just called.

Showdown: I was bracing myself for the flush(kind of wincing, not looking directly at the screen) when BB shows Q10 and UTG+1 shows KJ. I get pushed the pot in disbelief and went back to talking about golf and good golf courses with the rest of the table. Thanks for the input on the turn. I agree, a raise is right here.