PDA

View Full Version : Huge pot - Top two pair

speirs
09-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Great table $2-$4 on an unknown site (converter doesn't accept HH) with some nice talking /images/graemlins/grin.gif people. It seems like everybody plays for fun and relaxation. I've been winning a lot and maybe have a laggish image, although I doubt they know what that is. All I can say is that people are very passive, calling down when raised with about anything (TPTK, Overpair, etc)

Preflop - Hero is in sb with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Two limpers, button raises (wow), hero 3bets, limpers cold call, button caps (wtf) and all call

Flop - A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks, limpers check, button bets, hero check-raises, limpers call, button 3bets, hero caps, all call

Turn - 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero check, limpers check, button bets, hero check-raises, one limper out (finally), other limper cold calls, button 3bets, I cap, all call

River - 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Wassup?

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 02:30 AM
If you can't get a converter to list the pot size, then you should provide it yourself.

Anyway, the button has shown a lot of strength on every street. What does he play this way that you beat? Even with AK he would slow down on the turn (as you say, table is loose and passive). I would call the turn 3bet and go to showdown.
As it is, you need to check-call this river.

[ QUOTE ]
Great table $2-$4 on an unknown site

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf?

ep510
09-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Bet-call. You don't want to check-raise here and get 3-bet. Besides, betting will keep the limper in more likely than a check-raise will. Let that dead money stay in.

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 02:45 AM
If the limper has even a single brain cell then I'm afraid of the flush. Yeah, I'm a nit. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ep510
09-12-2005, 02:54 AM
If the limper suddenly raises here, you can fold without much worry, since he's raising the two agressors that capped both the flop and turn. You'll be pretty sure he does have the flush.

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 02:58 AM
Not taking this to showdown would be a real shame. I've also seen donks raise this river because they think it's fun to take shots at you.

speirs
09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great table $2-$4 on an unknown site

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]
What I meant was that it was unknown to the handconverter and also that I played there for the first time.

speirs
09-12-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would call the turn 3bet and go to showdown.
As it is, you need to check-call this river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I thought de turn cap on my part was a little over the top. I check called the river though.

Anything about the flop and turn check-raises? Good? No?

bakku
09-12-2005, 09:35 AM
if you're that surprised button raised/capped PF then you shouldn't have 3-bet PF (i dont think you should be 3-betting here all that often actually) and probably overplayed your hand a bit postflop.

ebranig
09-12-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't like the preflop 3-bet oop with an offsuit ace at all.

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Flop check-raise was good, though I would lead the turn myself because the button may get not bet again after I capped.

Bodhi
09-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Funny, because the preflop 3bet is what bothers me the least in this hand.

Now, if I thought the button was a very tight raiser I might fold then and there. Otherwise, 3-betting is the only chance of thinning the field. I tend to play AQo this way with position as well: I tend to fold if the raiser is solid, I 3-bet the LAG's, and rarely cold-call.

SeaEagle
09-12-2005, 12:35 PM
PF. 3-bet is the only way to play this. You'd really like to fold out at least one of the PF limpers.

Flop. I like, although button capping it probably means you're against a set.

Turn. Bet out, with c/ring a close 2nd. You'd just really hate for this to get checked through for some reason, and the c/r doesn't really protect your hand. Given the way you describe the table, I have to think you're overplaying your hand with the cap.

River. c/call 1. I doubt you're good much more than 1 in 23 though.

Munga30
09-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Flop check-raise is good, turn check raise, by itself is a nice result, but checking the turn after capping the flop risks too much.

Once the button three bets the flop, there's 26 small bets in the pot. Your cap is driving out exactly nobody and, while your equity is significant, it is somewhat vulnerable. Waiting for a good turn card and going for a CR then is better than collecting one more round of fractions on the turn. Had there been a five bet cap, four-betting would look better.

I think I just call the turn three bet.

I'm checking to put in one bet on the river, unless I *know* the button can raise another AQ here after one limper bets, in which case I prolly just lead out.

W. Deranged
09-12-2005, 12:45 PM
1. Edit: Pre-flop three-bet is fine here, and better than calling if you think the limpers will fold. If you know they'll tag along anyway, since there's a very good chance you're behind to a passive raiser, you might get capped, and you are out of position, I might tend to call the 1.5 here and not raise. It might increase my number of options on the flop as well. In certain situations I might consider folding, though the presence of the limpers with poor hands might entice me to play along.

2. Flop check-raise is good. Cap is good to.

3. I think you're getting in too deep on the turn. Two things:

-Since you were the one who capped the flop you can't be sure it's even going to be bet. Checking is very bad if you allow free cards.

-I don't really like putting in more than two bets on this turn, to be honest. If you check-raise cap the flop and then your opponent raises the turn after you lead out (or, alternately, three-bets your turn check-raise), I'm guessing that you are behind a good portion of the time. It is true that you have both an A and a Q in your hand, but set As and set Qs are both very real possibilities here. I think that getting some extra money in from the limpers who are likely drawing is good, but realize that if you are behind to one of the sets you are either drawing dead or drawing to 2 outs, and are in fact probably the least likely winner of the hand at that point. I think leading the turn and calling a raise is probably how I would play this.

3. River is annoying, but I think you should intend to go to showdown here if you can do so for one bet. The button is going to be as afraid of the flush as you are, and if one of the limpers leads out I'm not at all worried about button raising with an inferior hand and promoting his hand to a winner. I don't like betting here because I really want to see a showdown. Sometimes button might let the river check through with a hand that is beating us because he's afraid of being check-raised by the flush, and so that's another positive for us.

speirs
09-13-2005, 04:10 AM
Thank you all for commenting. I will read your comments thoroughly!

speirs
09-13-2005, 04:11 AM
I will 3bet this in such a situation more often then not. AQ for me is a typical raise or fold hand preflop.

benwood
09-13-2005, 04:32 AM
Three-betting flop seems good to try to get somebody out. Check raise on the flop is good for the same reason, but dont cap it if you want to try for another check-raise on the turn, because your5 flop cap may discourage him from betting the turn.Check & call the river.