PDA

View Full Version : Terrorists....what next?

01-17-2002, 06:41 PM
So if and when the US administration clears the world of Al-qaida terrorists... what happens next?

Are they going to Spain to sort out ETA? Or Ireland perhaps to eradicate the IRA and the UDA?

Thank God the apartheid regime is gone in South Africa... or maybe Bush would have gone looking for Nelson Mandela and his ANC "terrorist" friends.

By whose judgement do we say who is a terrorist and who is freedom fighter?

01-18-2002, 03:42 AM
Terrorists regard civilans as equally legitimate and desirable targets. Freedom fighters do not, although sometimes civilians may also get hurt due to their actions. Freedom fighters don't blow up discotheques where nobody but average partygoers are attending. Freedom fighters don't murder athletes at the Olympics. Terrorists do those things.

As for which terrorists we should go after next, I say go after those who are targeting US.

This really isn't all that complicated. Let the clear wind hit you in the face and think about it.

01-18-2002, 04:04 AM
"By whose judgement do we say who is a terrorist and who is freedom fighter?"

If people who blow up buildings 35 miles from where I live are freedom fighters, that does not change the fact that they are my enemies. Kill them. What freedom were they trying to obtain by killing civilians? Where were the demands? I don't understand your arguement. It seems like you are mad at America for defending America. When did Nelson Mandela ever kill Americans on American soil? If you can think of a better way to prevent this from happening again by all means write it up.

I understand that we've been getting a pretty bad rap in the British press. Just understand that it feels a little different when the guy who lives across the street from you worked on the 56th floor. Objectivity is tough when it is personal.

01-18-2002, 11:22 AM
British civilians have been murdered by Irish terrorists (backed by American money) for 30 years or more. We didn't go into Ireland shooting and killing innocents.

September 11th was horrendous.

But, by bombing innocents in Afghanistan (and God knows where next) you are falling to the level of those who committed these crimes.

01-18-2002, 12:08 PM
The IRA didn't attack the USA.

We are not bombing innocents in Afghanistan, other than a minimal amount of collateral damage. We're not falling to the level of the terrorists, we're simply doing what has to be done, and even the Afghani, as a whole, are glad we're doing it.

01-18-2002, 02:34 PM
How can you talk about the death of one innocent as "collateral damage"?

That sickens me.

Why are their lives any less precious than those who died on September 11th?

01-18-2002, 08:12 PM
Collateral damage and even the term itself sickens me too but that's unfortunately the way it has to be.

If the Taliban and al-Qaida didn't hide amongst the civilians, hide weapons in mosques and hospitals and things like that (a favorite tactic of Saddam Hussein, by the way), there would have been even less loss of innocent life.

The problem here is that these guys HAVE to be stopped. Sadly, the process of stopping them is going to cost some innocent lives. I believe that is better, however, than letting these terrorists continue to take innocent lives at will.

It would be nice if we could stop them 100% surgically, cleanly and painlessly. Unfortunately that's just not the way the world works.

01-19-2002, 01:05 AM