PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hanging up the Mouse

mlagoo
09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to drop a note to all of you who have given me a bunch of advice over the past several months on how to beat sit-n-gos. Thanks a lot. I've made a little bit of change playing poker, and it's been a very fun hobby for me.

My problem is that recently it's become more than a hobby. I just started my first semester of law school, and to be honest, all I want to do is play poker. When I'm in class I'm thinking about hands, when I'm hanging out with my friends sometimes I leave early to fire up a set of SNGs... it's just generally become more of an obsession than a hobby. I'm concerned that it may be hurting my interpersonal relationships, and, perhaps more than that, I'm concerned that it's going to affect my success in law school.

So anyway, I'm gonna stop playing online poker (I'll still play with my friends for fun every now and again) at least for the semester, perhaps for the year. I know I am not really in the "SNG clique," and I don't offer the most insightful advice, but I've enjoyed being a part of this community, and I wish you all the best.

bones
09-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Best of luck on the more important matters, like enjoying life.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/elin_grindemyr.1.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

And if you choose to come back, she'll be waiting for you.

gumpzilla
09-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Good luck. Sounds like a healthy decision. I've cut back on both 2+2 and poker quite a bit recently - doing a lot of work in my new lab has changed up the priorities - so I can sympathize.

unreal_nh
09-11-2005, 11:40 PM
yes, all the best /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MegaBet
09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, establishing a good balance between poker and life can be tricky for some people. I've tried my best not to let poker take over, and at the same time staying sharp.

GL at law school.

09-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I treat it like a job. I work Sunday and Thursday nights. Sometimes the boss calls me in for a Wednesday shift. When you play to gamble, you usually perform poorly anyway.

Isura
09-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Cool.

I'm actually in the opposite situation. I just started grad school, and now I don't feel like playing much poker. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Perhaps the new stress is inhibiting my ability to enjoy the game. But then again, I was still able to enjoy bone's post. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GL in law school.

bluefeet
09-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Best of luck to you Mr.Mlagoo /images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't forget to send a pic of your hot new secretary at Mlagoo & Mlagoo!

psyduck
09-12-2005, 12:10 AM
GLHF

mlagoo
09-12-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best of luck to you Mr.Mlagoo /images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't forget to send a pic of your hot new secretary at Mlagoo & Mlagoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have Yugo post a pic of her when the time comes =)

Oh and I should have signed my original post. My name is Matt. When I become a bigshot lawyer and have a big bankroll, I'll come donate to the $215s for you guys. I hear they are drying up =)

holla.

pokerlaw
09-12-2005, 12:52 AM
gl in law school. 1st year is a bitch. don't freak out (too much) and try to get good outlines and old tests from people who have had your prof before (though the profs usually make the old tests available). treat it like a job.