PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving

nbake
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
How many on here have done it? I just went yesterday and it was sweet. Would've liked to get more crazy, but you can't do a whole lot with a guy strapped to your back. That and I wouldn't have known what I was doing.

Your thoughts/experiences are welcome.

Nick

flatline
09-11-2005, 10:36 PM
I've done it, and it was awesome. Everyone thinks its going to be scary, but no one I went with thought it was. It was more like spiritual, seeing the earth like that. I would like to do it enough to go solo, but I am too lazy.

TheIrishThug
09-11-2005, 10:40 PM
i def want to go sometime, it seems like one of those things i just need to try.

flatline: great movie, but the pic doesn't look that good 80x80

flatline
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
great movie, but the pic doesn't look that good 80x80

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, I would fix it, but I am too lazy.

Seadood228
09-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I've been a few times..

I liken the experience to sex--The first time it's over so fast that the entire experience is almost surreal, and it keeps getting better every time. I also thought that it wasn't as scarey as I'd anticipated once I got out to the front of the plane. The anticipation of the event was much more terrifying IMO.

peachy
09-12-2005, 02:03 AM
did it once....absolutely loved it....wanna do it again

unreal_nh
09-12-2005, 02:09 AM
i wanna do it too!!!

about how much does it cost?

peachy
09-12-2005, 02:16 AM
usally around 150ish (depends on the state) u can get group rates though

unreal_nh
09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
usally around 150ish (depends on the state) u can get group rates though

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thats all? sweet.. thanks /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-12-2005, 02:21 AM
When I was a freshman in college, a bunch of the guys in my dorm started sky-diving at the local airport. They went a few times and then started getting discounts for packing their own chutes. Then, they started getting free jumps for packing other peoples' chutes too. Knowing the dipshits that these guys were, I was sure to never go skydiving at this place.

Also, a bit unrelated, but one of the guys crashed head-on into the broad side of a trailer when he was landing. Coupled with who it was that crashed, this was incredibly funny. Be careful where you're landing.

peachy
09-12-2005, 02:24 AM
yeah those r the prices with a person though (u have to do 3 of those before u can go alone) when u go alone its more expensive at most places

Voltron87
09-12-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah those r the prices with a person though (u have to do 3 of those before u can go alone) when u go alone its more expensive at most places

[/ QUOTE ]

its actually per parachute. peachy had to pay double.

09-12-2005, 03:47 AM
The fun part is that you get to whip it out and fap fap fap on the way down. And when that jizz hits, whatever it hits, it feels it - as if god himself was raining cum down from the heavens.

nbake
09-12-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The fun part is that you get to whip it out and fap fap fap on the way down. And when that jizz hits, whatever it hits, it feels it - as if god himself was raining cum down from the heavens.

[/ QUOTE ]

amazing...a post that actually made me laugh out loud. I will have to try this next time.

Brainwalter
09-12-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It should be cheaper.

renodoc
09-12-2005, 04:18 AM
awesome.

plan on at least two jumps though (on different days) the first one is so overwhelming that you don't really notice what is going on.

peachy
09-12-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure...thats the way it was at the place i went...was like 100 more to go alone...maybe liability or shut preperation...dunno

im sure its different at different places

flatline
09-12-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To go alone your first time you have to do a ton of training. When you go tandem, they basically tell you "don't do anything stupid and let me handle everything".

nbake
09-12-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
plan on at least two jumps though (on different days) the first one is so overwhelming that you don't really notice what is going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice. I landed and for the next few hours I just kept thinking, "what the [censored] just happened?" It was over way too fast. I can't wait to go again.

Sykes
09-12-2005, 04:55 AM
I hope you people go splat.

unreal_nh
09-12-2005, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you people go splat.

[/ QUOTE ]

well thats not very nice /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Evan
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went last weekend and paid $235 for a tandem, the price sheet said it was $22 to go by yourself.

WackityWhiz
09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
I've always wanted to, i'm jealous nick.

fwiw, I would go sky diving before I will bungee jump. I never plan on bungee jumping EVER.

turnipmonster
09-12-2005, 11:36 AM
did you go in ellenville? that seems to be the only place near nyc.

Bluffoon
09-12-2005, 11:37 AM
I did it years ago. I went solo attached to a static line. It was a gas and I liked that after summoning the discipline to throw yourself out of an airplane at 3k feet nothing else seems quite so hard or scary.

hoopsie44
09-12-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To go alone your first time you have to do a ton of training. When you go tandem, they basically tell you "don't do anything stupid and let me handle everything".

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't the case when I went. Before my solo jump I had 3 hours of training, which basically entailed jumping off a 4 ft high platform into a sand pit and rolling properly. I jumped solo attached to a static line from 1500 ft above Lakewood, New Jersey. It was pretty cool floating down looking out over the Atlantic Ocean. I think it cost $90, but that was back in 1979.

flatline
09-12-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went last weekend and paid $235 for a tandem, the price sheet said it was $22 to go by yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its $22 if you are already liscensed to jump, not for first-timers.

ChrisCo
09-12-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did it years ago. I went solo attached to a static line. It was a gas and I liked that after summoning the discipline to throw yourself out of an airplane at 3k feet nothing else seems quite so hard or scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

3,000 feet? Weak man. the first time I went sky diving I was up 18,000 feet. Had almost a full minute of free fall. Awsome experience.

steaknshake925
09-12-2005, 02:23 PM
what are some general myths/stereotypes about skydiving and skydivers? i'm writing a paper.

OtisTheMarsupial
09-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I've been skydiving.

09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
I've got my wings from my Army days. Never got any more jumps other than jump school, but I think we were more worried about pissing off the Sergeant Airbornes than hitting the ground hard. Hell, there was no such thing as hitting the ground soft with those chutes, now that I think about. Our entire training was essentially learning how to hit your seven points of contact properly and avoiding making your head the eighth.

FWIW, we did it at 1750 ft. Not a whole lot of wiggle room to pull your reserve if your main chute fails.

Love to go civilian jumping someday, but I think the wife would kill me.

"The earth is 3/4 water; the rest is drop zone!"