PDA

View Full Version : new to sports betting

GutPunch
09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can sports be beaten consistently for a profit?

Yes. You simply have to find lines that are far enough away from the “true” line for the bet to be profitable. This requires good line shopping and/or good handicapping. Personally I know far more winning line shoppers than winning handicappers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone reccomend a good place to start to gather information on sports betting? I have no idea what a line is, what a true line is, what -105 is, what a teaser or parlay is.. ect. I have basically 0 knowledge about how sports betting works. I would like to start to get serious about it however, and am looking for basic general information.

can anyone reccomend a good place/book to start?

Thanks

craig r
09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes. You simply have to find lines that are far enough away from the “true” line for the bet to be profitable. This requires good line shopping and/or good handicapping. Personally I know far more winning line shoppers than winning handicappers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone reccomend a good place to start to gather information on sports betting? I have no idea what a line is, what a true line is, what -105 is, what a teaser or parlay is.. ect. I have basically 0 knowledge about how sports betting works. I would like to start to get serious about it however, and am looking for basic general information.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

here is a good start (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Sports&Number=3376564&page =0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

craig

craig r
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Start with the FAQ on here and also www.howtogamble.net (http://www.howtogamble.net) (I am not affiliated with them as Tech knows). These two things should help you.

craig

GutPunch
09-11-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

here is a good start (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Sports&Number=3376564&page =0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

What do the colts have to do with anything? wrong thread maybe?

ThomasJoe
09-13-2005, 12:20 PM
IMO the only way to learn is to play. You can open an account at Pinnaclesports and bet as little as $1 per play. and the juice or vigorish is the lowest you will find.

The best advice however is for you to go very slow and don't be an idiot and get involved with touts who are losers that try and get idiots to pay them money so they can tell them who to bet on. Make your own picks and you will soon learn that you can pick losers as well as anyone.

Id also stay away from local bookies until you know a lot more. They cost more and it is hard to know who is honest and will pay up.

Also don't bet more on one game than another cause you like it. Make a mental note of games you really like and I promise you that you will lose more of these than you win.

If you read something that appears to be bs then it is.

Ive been betting sports for 30 years and I promise you that you cannot win in the long run so don't get any expectations that you can win at this. Why would the sports betting industry be around if there was any way it was easy to beat. I do it for fun, a cost of entertainment and you should too. Also it's is just as much fun to enter pools and such with friends as betting with a bookie. Be careful and have fun.

Runner Runner
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive been betting sports for 30 years and I promise you that you cannot win in the long run so don't get any expectations that you can win at this. Why would the sports betting industry be around if there was any way it was easy to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, there are guys who consistently hit on 55% of their selections and the sports betting industry still survives because of the high amount of recreational bettors like yourself who are too often on the wrong side. Sportsbetting is like poker, you have to find the value bets that can overcome the vig. It is definitely worth it to use a few books as well and take advantage of bonuses, kind of like bonus whoring in online poker.

NajdorfDefense
09-13-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also don't bet more on one game than another cause you like it. Make a mental note of games you really like and I promise you that you will lose more of these than you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is wrong, and dangerous. But do take his advice and keep a mental note of all the games you 'really like' to see how you do at first.

To me, 'Really Like' are games that come around 1-3 times per season per year. In the last 3 years, I've bet 4 college hoops games very, very hard and I've won all 4 - last one was Nova over UNM first round this year - but that's out of several thousand games.

best

Naj /images/graemlins/smirk.gif