PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card trxns on Internet - new U.S. legislation

Karatitis
04-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Question to all internet poker players:

I just started playing recently, a few weeks ago to be exact, and transferred $$ from my credit card to NeTeller, and then to my poker account....

...I was speaking to someone recently who told me that U.S. gov't is enacting some sort of legislation that will prohibit credit card trxns on the internet. Is this true? I'm in Canada, so I'm not familiar with U.S. laws, but aren't most of these poker sites based in Antigua and the like?

If so, it would seem that this law would effectively kill not only poker action, but purchasing any vendor products via the internet. Anyhow know about this, or shed some light would be greatly appreciated.

Thxs,

Chris X.
Toronto, Canada

tomas
04-29-2003, 07:09 PM
1 - not only Credit cards will be blocked
2 - not all over the net but just to gambling sites
3 - only transactions from the USA will be blocked
4 - this is just a proposal right now - it still has a long way to go before becoming a law.

TimTimSalabim
04-29-2003, 08:05 PM
The U.S. Government is making feeble attempts to control things, but, thankfully, they have found their match in the Internet -- finally, something which they can't screw up with their regulations. God Bless the Internet!

SoBeDude
04-30-2003, 01:49 PM
actually the restrictions are already in place.

I know of no US bank that allows Internet gaming transactions against their cards. Although there may be a few.

I think most US people are already using firepay or netteller or something to get money in.

-Scott

Ted Geisel
04-30-2003, 02:02 PM
The legislative hearings reported this week were interesting. MGM testified in favor of the Conyors bill to permit internet gaming, afer a year of study and proposed regulations.
More interesting was the testimony by Rep Leach, the sponsor of the bill to ban use of the US Banking system for Internet Gaming. His testimony included an argument that Internet Gaming offshore was bad because it did not create jobs in the US. That is quite a break from the "pernicious evil" line advanced before .... has the prohibiotion become a jobs bill now .... looks like a move toward compromise and regulation to me.

MS Sunshine
04-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Is there a link for these stories?

ty in advance

MS Sunshine

Karatitis
04-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Tom,
Ok, thanks for the heads-up!

...much obliged...may the river be good to you.

Chris X.

Karatitis
04-30-2003, 07:45 PM
SobeDude,

Ok, thanks for update.

Isn't NeTeller though still permitting deposits via credit cards? with the new U.S. law stop that?

Chris X.

Karatitis
04-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks Ted for the update.

So, then, I guess nothing is law yet...for now, the poker sites which are based in Antigua or wherever are exempt?

Chris X.

Ted Geisel
04-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Sorry, no link. The analysis is not published, it came from an attendee at the hearings.