PDA

View Full Version : OK, which new balla gaming system should I end up getting?

Daliman
09-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, I'm finally going to break down and just buy a nice game system instead of a new computer, since all I'd really need a computer for is for newer, better games. I know that the style of games is mostly different from console to computer, but there is enough crossover and other console game I am interested in that I think I'd like a console fine. Seems my main options are the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3,(I don't want an old system.) I've done some of my own reasearch, but am looking for pros, cons, and insight from people who have hands-on experience with their predecessors, or any other sytems maybe i should consider. First off, Let's go over some of my PC gaming choices.

-I like role-playing type games.
-I like GTA
-I like Half-Life, but not Halo when I played it.
-Shooters in general are hit or miss with me.
-Big surprise, but I'd like to see what one of those karaoke games are all about. DDR too,( my fat ass could use the excercise) and I think my wife may enjoy those too.
-Playing online not necessarily a premium for me. All I do when I play shooters online is pump up my opponents kill rates.
- I like D&D types games, if done well.

Any/all insight appreciated.

Tron
09-11-2005, 08:46 PM
I doubt that either one will be especially strong with respect to RPGs and D&D-like games (Given their prior track records), but based upon your other criteria I think the PS3 is the system for you.

09-11-2005, 08:48 PM
ps3 for rpgs and gta's (early)

Alobar
09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
a baller would just buy them both

ononimo
09-11-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eurotrash
09-11-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a true balla would have both installed into his Escalade to be played on the LCD screens in the back of the headrests.

flatline
09-11-2005, 09:12 PM
PS3 may not be released for a year, or even longer. X360 is going to be your best bet, unless you want to wait a long time.

09-11-2005, 09:52 PM
You should try to find out info about the mods for the new systems. I have a modded XBox and I love playing free games and movies before they are released in theatres.

dibbs
09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Browse through:

http://xbox360.ign.com/

http://ps3.ign.com/

You a fan of the Morrowwind series?

One of the slated early Xbox360 titles is the newest game by that outfit and from what I've read it looks to be really good, and I'm not really into that kind of thing.

Xbox will have Halo 3 obviously and probably some other good shooters, as will PS3.

Look around online as GTA's may be dropping on the Microsoft systems as soon or sooner than PS3, unlike before, and there are a few big clones that may actually be good too.

Xbox is generally lacking in RPGS however, but you'll have to wait a long while for PS3. for DDRMax Im pretty sure you'd have to go with PS3.

Daliman
09-11-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, i gotta work SOMETIME.

I;m one of those tpes that would try to put time in on them just so it's not a waste, lol.

For the record, I never claimed baller status, Just want of a balla system.

That said, I may take a vote!

pokerdirty
09-11-2005, 10:31 PM
don't buy the 360 right away. MS is waiting for the next gen format war (blu-ray vs hd-dvd) before they put it in their system, even though MS is leaning toward hd-dvd...not to mention all first gen hardware almost always sucks. lets face it, if you buy the 360 in november, you are going to wait 6-9 months before the first GOOD games come out anyways. as for RPGs, playstation 2 > the current xbox, but the biggies such as square enix says franchises like final fantasy (11, for sure, & 12, i believe) will be coming to the 360. as for gta type games, clones are all over the place, but ps3 will probably get the exclusive release at first, and then it will be ported to the 360 6-9 months later.

stay tuned later this week when the revolution controller and hardware specs get released at the Tokyo Game Show.

Dr. StrangeloveX
09-12-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lets face it, if you buy the 360 in november, you are going to wait 6-9 months before the first GOOD games come out anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. Perfect Dark Zero and Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion should be launch titles. I hate to feed the evil empire, but I will probably not have the willpower to resist buying an Xbox360 when it launches, because of these two games alone.

smokingrobot
09-12-2005, 01:21 AM
i dont know if these fit your requirements as im not much of a video gamer, but the two games that looked like they could hold my attention for any amount of time were the gran turismo game and jade empire.

and since these are both old... this probably isnt what you're asking for.

Daliman
09-12-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know if these fit your requirements as im not much of a video gamer, but the two games that looked like they could hold my attention for any amount of time were the gran turismo game and jade empire.

and since these are both old... this probably isnt what you're asking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think jade empire is the one that had a real cool scene on the xbox website where a blast of light hits the center of a massive group of orcs or something and does kind of a blast-wave effect. Looks cool as hell. Madden looks great on it too.

And I remember the days when it's didn't seem like graphics could get much better than Sega Genesis...

BoogerFace
09-12-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Xbox is generally lacking in RPGS however

[/ QUOTE ]

Morrowind on the Xbox blows donkeys. That is all.

pokerdirty
09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lets face it, if you buy the 360 in november, you are going to wait 6-9 months before the first GOOD games come out anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. Perfect Dark Zero and Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion should be launch titles. I hate to feed the evil empire, but I will probably not have the willpower to resist buying an Xbox360 when it launches, because of these two games alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zzzzzzzz.

codewarrior
09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Word of advice: You should not use such words as "balla".

09-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Just get a good PC.