PDA

View Full Version : How is Netflix?

Al P
09-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Are there any competitors worth considering?

kerssens
09-11-2005, 07:58 PM
maybe

gorie
09-11-2005, 07:59 PM
netflix

InchoateHand
09-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure how the situation has changed since the last three thousand, two hundred and forty-three threads about netflix. Perhaps you could start another thread asking this all-too-pressing question.

TheMetetron
09-11-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any competitors worth considering?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blockbuster.

But I just cancelled with them and went back to Netflix even though it's the same price and they give you two free in-store rentals per months.

The selection is quite as good and the movies don't come quite as fast for me. Also, I never returned the in-store rentals and got charged like $40/mo for keeping them, so that was my main reason for stopping.

In general, movie rental places through the mail kick ass.

Al P
09-11-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how the situation has changed since the last three thousand, two hundred and forty-three threads about netflix. Perhaps you could start another thread asking this all-too-pressing question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You saw the title "How is Netflix" which is a descriptive title of the content inside yet you still clicked on it, read it, and still took the time to reply in a useless fashion.

Go get laid or something loser.

InchoateHand
09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Why would I go and get laid? I should take a shower first, as my cock is still a little crusty from the before dinner action.

Besides, I type quickly, so replying to your pathetic ass is a remarkable small component of my daily energy expenditure, unlike either your redundant thread or your febrile rejoinder.

PokerGoblin
09-11-2005, 08:20 PM
netflix is cool, but once I got to the point where I'd seen all the movies I'd been meaning to see over the past 5 years, it didn't seem to have a lot of value.

Al P
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
How is the speed? Blarg complained in a few other threads about the turn-around time but no one else seemed to agree or disagree with him.

lucas9000
09-11-2005, 08:38 PM
i like it a lot. the speed depends on how far you are from one of the distribution centers. there's one here in denver so it's really fast for me.

09-11-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is the speed? Blarg complained in a few other threads about the turn-around time but no one else seemed to agree or disagree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I order a movie Monday morning I get it Tuesday morning.

WillMagic
09-11-2005, 08:42 PM
The speed is excellent (If I send one back on Monday I get the new one Wednesday), but I live near a distribution center. That said, they have a large number of distribution centers, so if you are in or near a major metropolitan area the speed will probably not be a problem.

Will

09-11-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would I go and get laid? I should take a shower first, as my cock is still a little crusty from the before dinner action.

Besides, I type quickly, so replying to your pathetic ass is a remarkable small component of my daily energy expenditure, unlike either your redundant thread or your febrile rejoinder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna agree with Al P here, why bother? It's easier for you not to read threads you don't want to read

Blarg
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The speed is excellent (If I send one back on Monday I get the new one Wednesday), but I live near a distribution center. That said, they have a large number of distribution centers, so if you are in or near a major metropolitan area the speed will probably not be a problem.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

The speed has changed, for me. It used to be very fast, and now it's quite slow.

Their service got a lot worse a little while before they lowered their prices, and then got worse still.

I still use them, but at every stage of the turn-around process, they've gotten notably slower. I virtually NEVER get the speed of service that used to be their norm.

I'm in Los Angeles, btw. Just like I was when the service was much better.

Yesterday and the day before, by the way, were typical -- two more days when the DVD's weren't delivered by the time the e-mails said they would be. Long turn-around time, these days.

flatline
09-11-2005, 10:48 PM
For those of you wondering why you used to get all those new releases, but now they are never available for you on netflix:

Analysis of Netflix DVD Allocation System (http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/)

Blarg
09-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Very interesting!

I will note that my account has been very active from the start, however, and it took quite some months before the service level plunged off a cliff. I realize that turn-around time isn't what is being measured here, but perhaps it is being handled in much the same way -- active customers pushed to the back of the service queue.

It certainly feels that way, as every part of the service is consistently bad now to the same extent it used to be consistently good. Yet this bad service took a while to settle in. Perhaps there is a grace period of a moving average, or both, on the customer's activity level. Both would seem to make sense.

Another note: I've had Ninja Scroll on "very long wait" for at least four months now. This one looks impossible to get, at least for my account. Which sucks, considering how long I've had it in my queue.

smokingrobot
09-12-2005, 01:23 AM
i vote netflix solely based upon their selection.

Brad22
09-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Got a friend who uses it to repalce cable - he enjoys it alot. I guess if you know of a lot of movies and tv shows that you want to watch, the service is real good.

Hedge Henderson
09-12-2005, 02:08 AM
Nice link, flatline.

I've always suspected such was the case and I honestly can't blame Netflix for such practices. I doubt they make much (if any) money off of me. I've been a member for over two years now and I'll receive, on average, around 14-16 titles a month. Some months I've received as many as 20.

I can't really complain about the service. Turn-around time is two days far more often than not. Of course, the fact that I rarely rent new releases may have something to do with that. I can walk down the street and rent the big movie that came out this week. I joined Netflix primarily in order to watch old/classic/obscure/foreign stuff I could never hope to find locally.

TimM
09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
I've had netflix for about a month and a half now. I should probably cancel some of my cable channels.

Speed is about one day short of perfect; it seems to never take more than one day for movies to get to me, but always takes two days for movies to get from me to them. I don't know if it is the post offices fault or their fault, but you would think that sometimes they should get there in one day.

I guess I should not complain. Their website and selection are very good. I can still average 4 movies a week if I turn them around in one day. And it's much better than being limited to the crap selections they choose to show on cable.