PDA

View Full Version : I finally puked in my mouth playing poker!

jeffraider
09-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 6: docholiday23 ( $1140 )
Seat 9: wona2k ( $1480 )
Seat 8: HERO ( $580 )
Seat 5: trader4987 ( $1895 )
Seat 1: shark0984 ( $1500 )
Seat 2: DWhizzle420 ( $1405 )
Trny:15652503 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Qd As ]
wona2k folds.
shark0984 raises [300].
DWhizzle420 folds.
trader4987 raises [900].
docholiday23 folds.
HERO pukes

What's your move?

Iamafish
09-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Just call...

Ogre
09-11-2005, 07:33 PM
call

pooh74
09-11-2005, 07:49 PM
This wouldnt make me sick at all. I don't think it makes much difference what you do here.

I'd call, but I am not sure it matters how "right' it is.

psyduck
09-11-2005, 07:49 PM
um call and start up a new one? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

No other options left at this point.

ajmargarine
09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Call, triple up, go on to win, win the next 14 in a row, move up, play 1,000,000 SNG's with a 68% ROI, retire and open up a beauty salon.

pokerlaw
09-11-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call, triple up, go on to win, win the next 14 in a row, move up, play 1,000,000 SNG's with a 68% ROI, retire and open up a beauty salon.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is how I play it also, minus the beauty salon.

AtticusFinch
09-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Am I the only one who folds here? A minraise from a 10bb stack smells suspicious to me. I fold and push any two next hand.

Edit: Oops, he's the button. Did he often try to steal with minraises?

jeffraider
09-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Jesus guys just because I'm short doesn't mean I need to just give it up here. Let's say no reads at all, what does your average reraiser have here?

Let's see, minraise UTG, and he pops it a very scary 600 more, which is precisely half of his stack. Does this smell like JJ/AJ or worse to anyone? I don't think so. I think if I call and he has JJ is my very best case spot (and of course I'd call if he showed me JJ) but really, people's initial raising standards can be light but reraising like this? This isn't a move someone makes with anything I've got a chance at being ahead of, and AQ is in bad shape against what I think is his likely range of JJ-AA, AK. I think JJ is unlikely, and AQ isn't likely either.

I folded and went on to win the tournament which means exactly nothing obviously except that folding here doesn't guarantee I lose this tourney. Unfortunately the minraiser also folded so I'm left to wonder, but I think with this action in front you'd have to be crazy to think AQ is in any kind of decent shape.

gisb0rne
09-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I would have folded because of the small reraise. At least thats my way of rationalizing it.

se2schul
09-11-2005, 10:44 PM
What buy-in is this at?
I'd probably fold this unless villains have been raising like this with a wide range of hands.

jeffraider
09-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Party $22s.

jadducci
09-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I believe this is an auto call, it appears like your the SB so your down to ~500 chips and next hand your BB and down to 350 chips.

I don't see you getting any better cards in the next 7 hands (when your BB again) and it is def. a risk that your totally dominated, I would still call this 100% of the time.

ezmogee
09-12-2005, 12:51 AM
This is an easy call and you dont even have to think. But it seems you want to. So rather thank think about what the other guys have, think about if you'll see a hand as good as AQ in the next 15 hands or so, because that's all youve got.

How do you know reraiser doesnt have JJ or TT. You're 45% vs these hands. Even if he has AK you still win 25-30% of the time. I know you'd rather be in as the fav, but with under 600 chips you just flat out don't have a choice.

jeffraider
09-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Guys, I don't need a better hand soon, I just need a better spot. I'll find a better spot the very next hand because likely the action won't be as suspicious next hand. Think of it like this, would you rather have AQ here or 84o the next hand first in or 92o after a limper? I'll take either of those spots because my stack, though tiny after I fold still has some folding equity if I'm first in and if I do get called I won't be up against a monster hand for sure and will have a good chance to be a 2:1 underdog IF I get called. I think the folding equity + hand equity against a wide range is better than calling all-in here with a hand that sucks against his likely range, which no one has refuted yet.

axeshigh
09-12-2005, 01:18 AM
You didn't play enough hands if that one made you puke... Easy call. Your spot isn't better next hand because you have 430 chips and posting 75, so virtually no equity.

ChuckNorris
09-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't think you can be so 100% certain that you're up against a monster here. Donks make donkish raises that look suspicious and make you think they must have QQ or better, even though they don't necessarily do. Of course button probably has a very strong hand, but he will have 88, A9, etc. from time to time, and rarely something completely wacky.

But since button is strongly representing at least AJ or better, and the miniraiser sometimes has a monster too, I don't think folding can be horrible, like many people seem to think. It's just brainless advice to say that you must push with AQ since you won't probably see a better hand. Come on you people! Hand strength is always relative to the situation, and this is a crappy situation.

I'm not helping you at all, am I /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pergesu
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
You're getting 2.5-1 on the call, and have less than 3 BB if you fold. You can't possibly afford to fold here.

jeffraider
09-12-2005, 02:12 AM
Perg - What good is getting 2.5:1 if I'm worse than 2.5:1 underdog to his range?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can be so 100% certain that you're up against a monster here. Donks make donkish raises that look suspicious and make you think they must have QQ or better, even though they don't necessarily do. Of course button probably has a very strong hand, but he will have 88, A9, etc. from time to time, and rarely something completely wacky.

But since button is strongly representing at least AJ or better, and the miniraiser sometimes has a monster too, I don't think folding can be horrible, like many people seem to think. It's just brainless advice to say that you must push with AQ since you won't probably see a better hand. Come on you people! Hand strength is always relative to the situation, and this is a crappy situation.

I'm not helping you at all, am I /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you've helped a bit. Maybe I'm giving button a bit too much credit but I've very rarely seen donkery in this kind of move. I completely agree that hand strength is relative, and I think situation is illustrative of it.

jeffraider
09-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Oh and btw I did fold and I got the BB to fold to my SB push the next hand, so it's not like I have zero fold equity if I push after folding.

axeshigh
09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and btw I did fold and I got the BB to fold to my SB push the next hand, so it's not like I have zero fold equity if I push after folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the BB to fold to your SB push the very next hand you need a) everyone to fold to you, b) the BB to be a bad player, and c) the BB to be dealt a below average hand. This will happen less often than you winning if you call with AQ, and you'll be in much better shape (1500 chips compared to 600).

pergesu
09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
First of all, if the other guy calls (which is very likely), then you're getting better than 3-1 to call.

Thus the only time you don't have odds to call is when he holds AA. You have the odds if he has KK, QQ, or (worst for you) AK. Given that you hold one of the aces, it reduces his chances of holding AA dramatically.

Even with a very narrow range, you're still getting odds to call. If you fold, you don't have enough chips to do any damage without doubling up first, and even then you're still in pretty tough shape.