PDA

View Full Version : $22 Holy overbet Batman.

Freudian
09-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Level 3. Blinds 25/50. Two limpers who both cover me (reads on both: decent, a bit too lose but no donks). I am in BB with 660 chips and call with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Flop: (pot 175). T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check. Guy1 bets 50, Guy2 calls 50. I push 610 chips. Both fold to my mighty overbet.

Should I just call? I will hit my hand by the river more than half of the time and if I do I should be able to gain a few more chips. Should I raise to 150-200 trying to get callers?

mlagoo
09-11-2005, 06:17 PM
This post reminds me of Strassa's recent C/R post. He was talking about bet/3betting with strong hands rather than C/R, where you only get one bet out of the bettor. If you make a weak lead at the pot, maybe you get called and improve, or maybe you get raised and can push then.

So, that is the line I would take.

With the C/R, I think your only raise is a push though, even though it's a bit of an overbet. Anything else is strange and makes it very awkward when called and the turn blanks.

Freudian
09-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Problem with a weak bet is that it doesn't shut out stronger draws. And of course if one of them happens to hit some kind of hand on the turn I doubt I want to call even a pot sized bet there.

If someone calls me on the flop I'm fine with it. But if I miss the turn my hand is starting to look much more doubtful.

psyduck
09-11-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Level 3. Blinds 25/50. Two limpers who both cover me (reads on both: decent, a bit too lose but no donks). I am in BB with 660 chips and call with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Flop: (pot 175). T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check. Guy1 bets 50, Guy2 calls 50. I push 610 chips. Both fold to my mighty overbet.

Should I just call? I will hit my hand by the river more than half of the time and if I do I should be able to gain a few more chips. Should I raise to 150-200 trying to get callers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is that you're such a big favorite to win the hand. I might c/r to T150 here to try to milk them even more. If they call, good, you've fattened a pot that you're a big favorite in. If they fold, that's okay, since it means that you [probably] wouldn't have gotten much out of them anyway if you hit your draw.

If you use this line and don't hit on the turn, that might be a good spot to semi-bluff all-in. Flop, you're too much of a favorite to push I think.

1C5
09-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Push is ok but I like raisng to 150 or 200 more here as your hand is pretty strong as as said above you can get more money and can push after the turn even if you don't improve as you still have a)fold equity and b)1000 outs.

lastchance
09-11-2005, 08:00 PM
T275 is worth picking up with your puny stack. Go for it.

ajmargarine
09-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Lead the flop for T110, push if raised. If called, push the turn no matter what card comes.

Freudian
09-11-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lead the flop for T110, push if raised. If called, push the turn no matter what card comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with that line is that I am giving A/K/images/graemlins/spade.gif rag/images/graemlins/spade.gif a good price to call and having such a hand call weakens my hand significantly.

Hendricks433
09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
say you bet flop and someone pushes. Now do you have to fold your hand? or call off all your chips on a draw?

Freudian
09-11-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
say you bet flop and someone pushes. Now do you have to fold your hand? or call off all your chips on a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I will ever fold to a flop push with this strong a draw. Even if the guy who pushes have a set of tens I am 40% to win the hand.

ilya
09-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Your draw is strong but you don't really want callers. You also don't have enough chips to have FE with a bet-raise-3-bet sequence. Also if someone just calls your flop bet you'll be in a very awkward spot if the turn is a brick. So I like the way you played it.

cha59
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I like your line.

mlagoo
09-11-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
make a weak lead at the pot, maybe you get called and improve, or maybe you get raised and can push then.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like my line anymore.

youd like to be the one doing the pushing, with some FE. also, if you get called, the turn really sucks because you've invested a bunch of chips into the pot, and if you blank, you are really in a pickle.

i like your line better.

adanthar
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
This line is perfect because you are already short and the push is only 2x pot or so. It's not a great time to lead out with this exact hand, because you *must* play for all your chips even if called and you may as well maximize FE.

If you had 1K chips a bet/3 bet would be far better since you can now get off the hand/make a pot odds check/call on the turn after you are just called.

jeffraider
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm honestly surprised at how strong your hand is ont his flop. Against TPTK you're winnning 69% of the time, and if you brick the turn you're still going to catch something to beat top pair 47.7% of the time.

I was going to post that I liked this line in general because raising small and bricking the turn normally makes you into a bigger dog but honestly, I think you could lead at this flop and try to get raised. Fire out half-pot or 2/3rds of the pot and obviously call a reraise/push etc. I was thinking that winning the pot was important before, but now getting lots of their chips in on the flop is the main goal considering just how big a favourite you are.

Freudian
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This line is perfect because you are already short and the push is only 2x pot or so. It's not a great time to lead out with this exact hand, because you *must* play for all your chips even if called and you may as well maximize FE.

If you had 1K chips a bet/3 bet would be far better since you can now get off the hand/make a pot odds check/call on the turn after you are just called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to add in my original post that I sometimes like to use overbets to induce calls (which of course is a hit-and-miss affair). Here I like it because I don't particularly mind a call and I don't particularly mind folds.

And I actually thought about how I could manipulate pot size to play this the best way but either my flop actions would be too weak or me not having enough chips on the turn to protect myself from A/images/graemlins/spade.gif drawing if I make my flush.