PDA

View Full Version : Apparent mass?

Trump
09-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a chem lab report and I was wondering what the difference between mass and apparent mass is? Google wasn't of much help.

Thanks.

Dynasty
09-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Don't you have a text book for this class?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-11-2005, 05:34 PM
I suspect you have a text book that may be of some use in these situations.

Trump
09-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I do, but it's not in the index.

Bradyams
09-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I took two semesters of chemistry last year, and I don't remember ever hearing of "apparent mass". /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MrTrik
09-11-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a chem lab report and I was wondering what the difference between mass and apparent mass is? Google wasn't of much help.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I typed "define: apparent mass" into google and got this:
The term mass in special relativity is used in a couple of different ways, occasionally leading to a great deal of confusion. Specifically, mass can refer to either the rest mass or the relativistic mass. The rest mass, or invariant mass, is an observer independent quantity, while the relativistic mass, or apparent mass depends on one's frame of reference. In particular, the relativistic mass increases with velocity while the rest mass stays the same.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_mass

Cancer Merchant
09-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Wikipedia for apparent mass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_mass)

It's been years since I had college-level science, and certainly didn't handle relativity in chemistry (only physics), so I couldn't tell you if this is correct or not.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm tempted to abuse my Rocket Scientist status to give a reasonable sounding, yet completely wrong answer. I can't do it - I think it's against that stupid oath I took when I got my degree and my engineer's ring.

Cancer Merchant
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted to abuse my Rocket Scientist status to give a reasonable sounding, yet completely wrong answer. I can't do it - I think it's against that stupid oath I took when I got my degree and my engineer's ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineer's ring? What's that?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-11-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineer's ring? What's that?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a copper ring that you get if you're Canadian or near-Canadian (read: Minnesota or UP of Michigan). It started with some Canadian school giving out copper rings made from the rubble of some bridge that collapsed because it was poorly designed, I guess as some sort of memorial and reminder to do better next time. I lost mine on a Southwest flight from Albuquerque to San Diego.

2+2 wannabe
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It started with some Canadian school giving out copper rings made from the rubble of some bridge that collapsed because it was poorly designed, I guess as some sort of memorial and reminder to do better next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know what school this was?

Cancer Merchant
09-11-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's a copper ring that you get if you're Canadian or near-Canadian (read: Minnesota or UP of Michigan). It started with some Canadian school giving out copper rings made from the rubble of some bridge that collapsed because it was poorly designed, I guess as some sort of memorial and reminder to do better next time. I lost mine on a Southwest flight from Albuquerque to San Diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. I was wondering if I got gypped, but not being near Canada it makes sense.

I doubt there was enough metal in the Tacoma Narrows to do the same for US grads; just have to wait for the big one to hit.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-11-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt there was enough metal in the Tacoma Narrows to do the same for US grads

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but Tacoma Narrows has a much better legacy. That video is awesome.