PDA

View Full Version : Isolate loose EP with second pair?

Homer
04-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Loose player from the big pot hand is my main opponent in this hand (in the SB this time).

I open-limp UTG with J9s (this game has been quite passive preflop), four more players call including the SB. Six to the flop.

Flop - Td 9h 2d

SB bets, I raise, all fold to SB who calls.

Turn - 5h

SB checks, I bet, SB calls.

River - 9c

SB bets, I call.

Comments? In retrospect a river raise seems like a no-brainer. I knew SB had a 9, but I beat most of his kickers.

Results below
SB shows 93o and I take it down with the J kicker.

-- Homer

J.R.
04-29-2003, 03:33 PM
It is harder to isolate with three limpers yet to act (plus the BB) and a draw laden board. I might fold on the flop here, as this is close and somebody behind may have a monster (set, two pair) or there may be some big draws behind. The first limper behind you is getting 4.5-1 on the cheap street to call.

Is the loose player a loose aggressive? If so, the isolation looks better. I would also be more inclined to raise here if the loose player bet his draws (duh), but I think this is a thin isolation raise.

I agree with the river raise.

Homer
04-30-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm guessing that this thread is buried for most of you (my own fault for posting 87 hands at once). Well, I'm pulling it back up because I'd like more comments! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-- Homer

p.s. - Try flat mode with 20 threads per page....it's a wonderful thing!

HUSKER'66
04-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Homer, to answer my own curiosity, did you have J9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif or J9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ? I like the play because you seem to have had a read on the table.

Homer
04-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Sorry, I had spades, not diamonds (I think with diamonds a flop raise would have been fairly routine). I tend to write J9s / J9d / J9h / J9c. Rarely when I write J9s do I mean the "s" as suited. I guess I should be more clear about that in the future.

-- Homer

HUSKER'66
04-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks Homer, I'll remember your s,d,h,c distinction on all your future post /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Inthacup
04-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, I doubt you'd get a 10 to fold on the flop, but you will almost certainly get another 9 to fold. You may get some gutshots to fold that would have called 1 bet. I don't mind throwing a raise out there every now and then to see what kind of reaction I get. I wouldn't make this my default play, but I don't think that's what you're going to do.

Yeah, he probably does have a 9, but it's probably not as good as yours. Raise the river.

Ulysses
04-30-2003, 01:40 PM
I think the UTG limp is questionable, but I still do it in this texture game. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Nonetheless, I don't think it's very good. Do as I say, not as I do, I guess.

Flop raise is automatic. Turn is fine. River - you have to raise! If you're not going to raise in this spot, you shouldn't be playing this hand or trying to isolate this opponent.