PDA

View Full Version : What's the differnece between "virgin" and "extra virgin"?

MelK
09-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I know it must be more than just the price.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Nobody SIIHP either?

Eurotrash
09-11-2005, 04:30 PM
this is going from memory, but I believe extra virgin olive oil is made from the very first pressing of the olives. virgin is from the 2nd or some subsequent press.

you can probably just google it.

gorie
09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
virgin is when you've only taken it up the butt.
extra virgin is when you've only given a bj.

lighterjobs
09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i'm an extra virgin. too bad i'm a guy or this wouldn't be so sad.

jason_t
09-11-2005, 04:36 PM
The production of olive oil is a complicated process and there are several ways to do it and the resulting product is different. In short, virgin olive oil is olive oil produced without any chemical treatment; the extraction of the oil is done using only physical processes.

The finest olive oils are extra-virgin olive oils. They come from the first pressing of the olives, have very low acidity and have incredible taste.

Virgin olive oils can contain oil resulting from multiple pressings (the processed material is called pomace, and it can be processed). Their acidity is higher than that of extra-virgin olive oils and they are considered to have good taste.

The best Italian sauces (e.g. vodka sauces) are made with extra-virgin olive oil and it's possible to notice the difference if only regular olive oil was used.

gorie
09-11-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i'm an extra virgin. too bad i'm a guy or this wouldn't be so sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah i forgot guys posted here too.

CardSharpCook
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Nice post, Jason. I'll add a couple of things...

EVO has an acidity of <1%
VO has an acidity of 1%<VO<2%
OO has an acidity of 2%<OO<4%

Additionally, EVO is less filtered - there are more impurites. This makes it less useful for cooking. That is, If you want to make a killer salad dressing, use EVO. However, if you're gonna saute fish, OO is the way to go. OO has a higher "smoke point" than EVO meaning you can get the pan hotter before the oil starts to burn. VO becomes a nice compromise btwn EVO and OO in that the price, smoke point, and flavor are all btwn that of EVO and OO.

CSC

09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I keep hearing how healthful olive oil is only I don't like the flavor so I've been buying the 'light' olive oil at Krogers. Am I still getting any of the benefits or is it so watered down now that it's just garbage?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Is there a "slut" olive oil? Is that OO?

mslif
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a "slut" olive oil? Is that OO?

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed out loud at this... /images/graemlins/grin.gif
nh

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
lol.

MrTrik
09-11-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This makes it less useful for cooking. That is, If you want to make a killer salad dressing, use EVO. However, if you're gonna saute fish, OO is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice. I learned this a while ago after trying to do some things with EVO because I thought it was better when VO was clearly a better choice. EVO is excellent for some things and VO is better for others.

Toro
09-11-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bug anyone else but me when Rachel Raye calls the extra virgin olive oil EVOO all the time?

lighterjobs
09-11-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bug anyone else but me when Rachel Raye calls the extra virgin olive oil EVOO all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate rachel ray /images/graemlins/mad.gif

siccjay
09-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Ashey Larry ownz

CardSharpCook
09-11-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep hearing how healthful olive oil is only I don't like the flavor so I've been buying the 'light' olive oil at Krogers. Am I still getting any of the benefits or is it so watered down now that it's just garbage?

[/ QUOTE ]

OO is good for you because it is high in unsaturated fats. Fat is, believe it or not, a healthy part of your diet. But some fats are better than others. Oils differ in their Percentage of different fats; Saturated, poly-unsaturated, and mono-unsaturated. While all three types of fat are part of a healthy diet, as they occur in nature and in America, it is much easier to have too much saturated fat in your diet. Mono-unsaturated is the "best" kind of fat. Off the top of my head, OO is 83% mono-unsaturated fat, vegetable oils and canola oil are both close behind (78-82%). How can you tell how saturated a fat is? How viscous is it at room temp? Those fats that are solid at room temp like butter or coconut oil are very high in sat fat. Note also margerine. Margerine is made from vegetable oil, but it is hydrogenated - changed at a molecular level that makes it little different than saturated fat. Butter may not be good for you, but it is actually better for you than margerine.

As for "light" olive oil, it is still olive oil, but just mixed in such a way that decreases the intensity of the flavor and has a lighter color. You get all the benefits of OO.

Rachel Raye is extraordinarily cute.

InchoateHand
09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
EVOO makes me happy.

VOO doesn't really fit my uses in any way.

Deep-frying in OO is a noticable improvement for all your frying pleasures.

Oh, and be careful CSC---once I posted about "EVOO," and astroglide (luckily he's missing) accused me of being "pretentious." Clearly food-service people are pretentious.

SuitedSixes
09-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Chastity belt.

09-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Oh. I thought it was her twin sister.

Blarg
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
1) Who's Rachel Raye?
2) EVOO?
3) Butter is not solid at room temperature
4) Olive oil has been shown to help scour the blood vessels of so-called "bad cholesterol," which is I believe LDL or low-density lipoproteins. It does this by pushing it out like a scrub-brush with its HDL, or high-density lipoproteins. I think that's it. Anyway, it's supposedly very healthy for you for that reason.

jason_t
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Who's Rachel Raye?
2) EVOO?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Rachel Ray is a cook on the Food Network.
2) Extra-virgin olive oil.

CardSharpCook
09-11-2005, 11:04 PM
3) Butter is not hard, but it is solid at room temp.....provided you don't live in LV with no AC.

StevieG
09-11-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OO is good for you because it is high in unsaturated fats.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, recent research shows extra virgin olive oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4204076.stm). From the article, "inflammation has been linked to a wide range of conditions such as heart disease and cancer." So olive oil has that going for it, too, which is nice.

And yes, Rachel Ray is cute.