PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 pair question

magicmntn
09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Fairly early on at the table. No real reads on anyone.

Party .25/.50

Hero is MP1 with AQ of diamonds with $53 behind
Villain 1 is BB $60
Villain 2 is CO with $29

I call preflop, folded to CO who makes it $1.50
BB calls, I call.

Flop is A Q 3 with the 3 being a dime.
BB checks
I bet $2
CO raises to $6.
BB calls
I raise to $25
CO folds
BB calls.
Turn is a 6 of dimes.
BB checks

My question here is with 2 smooth calls from the BB on the flop, how often am I losing to 333 here. Should I just take the free card on the turn and hope I hit my flush? Or do I push with my 2 pair? The results of the hand are unimportant, but I will post them later if anyone cares.

I just want to know how everyone else would play it.

And yes I know my $2 flop bet was weak. It was intended to be weak to induce the raise from the CO.

theben
09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
if you take the free card, do you actually plan on folding the unhelped top-2 getting 1-3 to call the rvier with the rest when you hold top-2 in party 50? i think thats a bad move.

jkkkk
09-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Put it in on the turn, your not getting much money out of a set (if thats what he has) should the board bring another /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

mason55
09-11-2005, 04:34 PM
PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH

You're probably ahead, if you're not you have outs. I would be more worried about villain folding than I would be about being behind.

magicmntn
09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I guess maybe a better question is with the BB smooth calling CO's raise, should I even be putting in such a large reraise to begin with?

I don't have a problem with the way I played the hand, I just wondered what the optimal play is in this situation

jkkkk
09-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Bet-call flop, lead/raise turn.

theben
09-11-2005, 04:57 PM
i dont think a set would get too scared off by the backdoored diamonds, given all the flop action. all a set fears there would be AKd, AQd and thats slim

djoyce003
09-11-2005, 05:15 PM
the only thing I see cold calling that flop raise is A3 or 33. I'm thinking you are behind a lot of the time. I can't think of anything else he has unless he's spectacularly awful. Given you don't have that read, I probably check behind on the turn and hope to spike an A, Q, or diamond. If you check the turn you have to call his river bet as long as it isn't ridiculous. I don't think he'll give you credit for the backdoor flush so if you catch it i'm thinking he'll call a push with a set.