PDA

View Full Version : How to play this hand against 80 VP$IP LAP

09-11-2005, 02:53 PM
SB has 80% VP$IP and is LAP. I felt pretty confident in the way I played up to the river, but I'm not sure if 3-betting the river was the right play.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

peterchi
09-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Since the turn already went capped, and you don't think he's too aggressive, I'd just call the river c/r.

donger
09-11-2005, 03:36 PM
You've described him as passive postflop, so I think the river threebet is pretty spewtastic..

Bodhi
09-11-2005, 03:37 PM
First of all, never be the first one to limp-in with K9s--that's bad. Raise or fold next time preflop.

Raise the flop. You have equity and you might buy a free card on the turn.

The turn is ok, but just call the SB's river raise. Because he is passive, he likely has a monster hand: either a flush or a full house. 3betting such a passive player and having him cap it makes me think you're beat.

Octopus
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, never be the first one to limp-in with K9s--that's bad. Raise or fold next time preflop.

Raise the flop. You have equity and you might buy a free card on the turn.

The turn is ok, but just call the SB's river raise. Because he is passive, he likely has a monster hand: either a flush or a full house. 3betting such a passive player and having him cap it makes me think you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this tiny pot, I'm not sure raising for a free card is such a good play. If you were certain it would work, perhaps, but I'm fine with just calling the flop.

On the other hand, I agree completely pre-flop. If you never limp first in again, it isn't much of a mistake if it is one at all, especially in MP and later.

As for the rest, if I really felt that this player was passive, I would probabily just call down after getting 3-bet on the turn. 3-betting the river would take a hugely LAGgy opponent, and even then I probably wouldn't do it.

Harv72b
09-11-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd fold or raise preflop when it's folded to me in MP2, leaning heavily towards folding. But that's no big deal.

If this guy is aggressive bordering into maniacal postflop, I play this the same way you did postflop. If he's a bit more reasonable, I just call the river check/raise.

EDIT: I misread your description of the opponent as LAG, not LAP. If he's passive postflop, I just call the river check/raise...I think you're still justified in capping the turn, tho.

09-11-2005, 06:51 PM
thanks for the input so far. I know now that I didn't play the river correctly. I think the turn play was fine, so that leaves preflop and the flop:
- I heard this a lot of times, why should I either fold or raise this hand preflop? Does this only apply to hands like K9s?
- About the flop, there are 3 players (incl. myself) in the game, which means I have to win 33% of the time to make a raise profitable, right? Plus the BB might fold to a raise, so then I'd have to win over 50% of the time. That's why I thought that calling wasn't so bad.

newhizzle
09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
i raise or more likely fold preflop, this is not an open-limping hand, i also probly raise the flop, the rest looks fine to me against a maniac

edit: if hes not super crazy aggressive then slow down on the river tho

Octopus
09-11-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- I heard this a lot of times, why should I either fold or raise this hand preflop? Does this only apply to hands like K9s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any hand you decide to play in mid to late (and maybe even early) position should porbably be raised if you are first in unless you have a specific (read based) reason to act otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
- About the flop, there are 3 players (incl. myself) in the game, which means I have to win 33% of the time to make a raise profitable, right? Plus the BB might fold to a raise, so then I'd have to win over 50% of the time. That's why I thought that calling wasn't so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things are not that simple. Certainly if you believe you are 50%+ to win the hand then you might want to raise, but you also might do so to get a "free" card on the turn, or to "clean up your outs", that is, increase the chances you will win the hand by getting hands which would improve along with yours to fold. (KT (or even A/images/graemlins/heart.gifx) would be an such a hand in your example.) You also might do so as a semi-bluff, hoping to win the pot right now or (more likely) with another bet on the turn even if you do not hit. Your estimated pot equity here is so high that even a very small chance that they would fold would be enough to make a semi-bluff correct.

You haven't said what SB had, but if it was a hand like A7, then a raise either pre-flop or on the flop might have been enough to drive him out and save you the pot.

09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah, it was A7 /images/graemlins/frown.gif
so if I have a maniac behind me who raises with way to many hands, I might just call K9s first in, but in most cases I would raise first in..or fold
About the equity thing, you're right, I should've raised. I wasn't taking the other reasons (like semi-bluff or free card play) into consideration. But that's why I have such a hard time to apply the concept of pot equity I guess

Harv72b
09-11-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You haven't said what SB had, but if it was a hand like A7, then a raise either pre-flop or on the flop might have been enough to drive him out and save you the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, an 80% VPIP LA-P is folding A7 here precisely never, regardless of whether or not Hero raises. Your other points are true, although I'm still not totally sold on raising the flop in such a small pot.

TheHammer24
09-11-2005, 09:43 PM
preflop is pretty bad.

The flop is pretty small, so I'm ok with just calling with my hand. If the pot was twice as large i would definitely raise.

The turn is standard against described opponent.

River, I would bet/call, but only because you describe the opponent as passive and the tunr was already capped.

Octopus
09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, an 80% VPIP LA-P is folding A7 here precisely never, regardless of whether or not Hero raises. Your other points are true, although I'm still not totally sold on raising the flop in such a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think raising here is that great a play, although it is probably not bad. (In fact, I said in another post that I too would just call because of the size of the pot.) I was simply responding to his more general comment about pot equity and raising (and why you might want to do one without much of the other).