PDA

View Full Version : Level 3, over the top with TT?

1C5
09-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Party 22.

Raiser has been tight. I have a good feeling he has AK/AQ. Do I push as a 55% favorite to double up now or fold?

Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: dubo3457 (895)
Seat 3: DohNutz (755)
Seat 4: Dr_Jeckyl_00 (705)
Seat 7: Hero (595)
Seat 9: discodollars (2070)
Seat 10: noaho9 (2980)
discodollars posts small blind (25)
noaho9 posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ts, Tc ]
dubo3457 raises (150) to 150
DohNutz folds.
Dr_Jeckyl_00 folds.
Hero?

octaveshift
09-11-2005, 09:55 AM
With your stack size, I push this every time.

ALTHOUGH, with a "tight" player making an UTG raise, I wouldn't be super psyched about it.

unreal_nh
09-11-2005, 10:02 AM
i agree

Pete H
09-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Like Octave said, with your tiny stack there's not much to do but lose a coin flip.

At least I'm not good enough to fold this.

NP: Mustach - Alpha Male

octaveshift
09-11-2005, 10:36 AM
OK, now I am thinking about this a bit more. (Sorry, I hopped right on 2+2 after waking up after a night of drinking Chopin martinis. Gak.)

1. When are the blinds going up?
2. How did you end up shortstacked?
3. Have you seen villain call any pushes yet, and if so, with what?

I don't think it's nearly as clear as I first thought.

The most troubling thing, IMO, are the two biggies to your immediate left. You have no FE against them, so you are probably going to need to show them a good hand. So you can either build your stack and gain some FE, or pray for a good hand when the blinds jump. I prefer the former.

With a stack of 595, you can still hurt a lot of the other players.

Personally, I know that lately I have been trying not to "panic" as much when I am hovering at 10x BB.

TT is probably *just* on the threshold for me. I'd definitely push JJ+, AK without a second thought in this spot.

Man, I'm hung over.

09-11-2005, 11:32 AM
You dont have so much chips left so if you think he has 2 overcards is it a good time to gamble.

09-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your stack size. Should've been push. Keep in mind, though, that his range must include hands that dominate you unless you have evidence that he limps them.

applejuicekid
09-11-2005, 12:16 PM
How do you put someone on two overcards? I've always been amazed by people with this talent. Apparently, there are many of these geniuses on party poker. Someone please tell me the secret!

ezmogee
09-11-2005, 12:19 PM
you have way too few chips to consider anything other than a push.

1C5
09-11-2005, 01:17 PM
You get a knack for it after 3000 tournaments. Of course not always correct but quite often I am.

BadMongo
09-11-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree that AK/AQ is the most likely holding here, but you can't just rule out high PPs either based soley on the fact that he raised in EP.

I don't see you having any FE here, so it's really just a question of how much equity you need to have against his range for pushing to be a better option than folding. Unfortunately, if you read him as tight, I don't see how you can be ahead of his range here. For example, let's say he's raising TT+, AJ+, KQ here. Tens only have 46% equity against that range. Therefore, if you think his range is similar to this, you should fold.

SumZero
09-11-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that AK/AQ is the most likely holding here, but you can't just rule out high PPs either based soley on the fact that he raised in EP.

I don't see you having any FE here, so it's really just a question of how much equity you need to have against his range for pushing to be a better option than folding. Unfortunately, if you read him as tight, I don't see how you can be ahead of his range here. For example, let's say he's raising TT+, AJ+, KQ here. Tens only have 46% equity against that range. Therefore, if you think his range is similar to this, you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends how often he'll get a better hand in one of the unacted players to enter too. If you assumed they'd always fold and just went with the numbers in your post then it is still clear he should fold:

EV of push and call is: 1265 * .46 + 0 * .54 = 581 but overall $EV is $16.30
EV of fold is: 595 which by $EV is $18.04

But how do you think he'd play 77-99? Limp with such a short stack? Fold?

I think his range should include some more of the low pairs you dominate.

BadMongo
09-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I assumed everyone else would fold. I was just trying to show that TT does not do well against a tight player's likely EP raising range. Factoring other potential callers in would tend to lower the EV of a push even further though, so that tends to make a fold even more correct.

Whether or not you include 77-99 in the range is debateable, but I don't see a tight player raising these from up front. Maybe 99, who knows. But even if you include those pairs (and assume that he calls your allin with them) TT would then have about 52% equity. Still not enough for a push to be correct, IMHO.

BadMongo
09-11-2005, 05:28 PM
As a side note, I think this result is kind of surprising. I would definately have pushed in this position. The key factor I think is the read that villian is tight.

Good thread. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Weatherhead03
09-11-2005, 05:32 PM
You have yourself one wicked ass avatar.

cha59
09-11-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have way too few chips to consider anything other than a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason I push. Your hand isnt bad, there are a decent amount of chips in the pot, and your stack is relatively small. This could be a very good opportunity to add some much needed chips or even double up. I'd gamble here.

mlagoo
09-11-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You get a knack for it after 3000 tournaments. Of course not always correct but quite often I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. And I sort of agree with his sentiment. There is no reason that AK is any more likely here than JJ.

Regardless, I think it's a close push here.

1C5
09-11-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. And I sort of agree with his sentiment. There is no reason that AK is any more likely here than JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there is. Count the number of ways he could be holding AK compared to JJ.

curtains
09-11-2005, 08:35 PM
You must move allin here

mlagoo
09-11-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there is. Count the number of ways he could be holding AK compared to JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, what about JJ + QQ + KK + AA + 99? It's just stupid, in online poker, to "put someone" on such a narrow range of hands based on an UTG raise.

BadMongo
09-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Can you elaborate a bit? It looks to me like you'd be behind any reasonable range a tight player is raising with in EP.

curtains
09-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Please replace EP with 3 off the button (aka MP).

Basically the tightest player in the world will tend to raise AA-88 and AK-AJ, KQ maybe....now realize that almost no one is the tighest player in the world. Some people are actually much looser. Meanwhile we have under 4x the BB and TT. Folding is just flat out terrible. Folding this hand makes you just as bad as the morons who play 53s early in the tournament for a big raise.

lastchance
09-12-2005, 01:48 AM
We have 12x BB Curtainz. o0.

curtains
09-12-2005, 02:03 AM
lol. Okay but still we are short stacked. I actually knew that, I dont know why I said 4x, probably because we have 4x the raise. Also its not an EP raise! If the table was full , everyone would be calling it an MP raise.

BadMongo
09-12-2005, 10:04 AM
OK, I agree with you about the position thing. Still, it's six handed and a tight player raised UTG. If the guy was a typical 22 donk, then the decision woulld be easy. But the OP has a read that this is not the case. Lets go ahead and open his range a bit though, say 77+, A9+, KJ+, QJ. Tens are still only 55% to win. And that's a pretty wide range for a "tight" player, IMHO. I think this is a lot closer than people are making it out to be.

curtains
09-12-2005, 03:30 PM
I have to be honest I don't think its close. You just dont have enough chips to be so selective right now.