PDA

View Full Version : PSU -12 and -5 rail problem?

Luv2DriveTT
09-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Below is my power supply reading from Sysoft Sandra. My PSU is a Antec Thermalake 430, but since I've been getting frequent unexplainable crashes I'm beginning to look at everything as being a possible cause. I was surprised to see the readings for the -12 and -5 rails, is this normal?

Voltage Sensor(s)
CPU Voltage : 1.49V
Aux Voltage : 2.59V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.26V
+5V Voltage : 3.84V
+12V Voltage : 11.86V
-12V Voltage : -7.92V
-5V Voltage : -2.19V
Standby Voltage : 2.93V
Battery Voltage : 4.08V

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

MyMindIsGoing
09-11-2005, 03:04 AM
"+5V Voltage : 3.84V" that is the big problem. Get another supply.

Terry
09-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Sandra is sometimes flaky. Try Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) .

Luv2DriveTT
09-11-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sandra is sometimes flaky. Try Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) .

[/ QUOTE ]

no settings for my MB /images/graemlins/frown.gif

TT

Luv2DriveTT
09-11-2005, 10:45 PM
So I bought a new PSU, but the same problem keeps hapening... therefore I think its time to rule out the PSU as the cause of the problem.

I also performed a memcheck, it seems my ram is fine as well.

Could the problem be my motherboard (Gigabyte K8NS ULTRA 949)? My videocard (Nvidia 6800 OC)? I know both could cause my computer to freeze, but would either be the cause of such odd power readings?

MyMindIsGoing
09-12-2005, 02:35 AM
You said in first post that it crashed and now freezed. Witch is it? Does it restart by itself, give you a BSOD or just plain freeze?

Luv2DriveTT
09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You said in first post that it crashed and now freezed. Witch is it? Does it restart by itself, give you a BSOD or just plain freeze?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, a crash and a freeze is the same thing in my mind, obviously I am incorrect to explain it that way. The computer is freezing. No error messages are being logged into the event viewer. From what I have learned so far this is a classic symptom of a failed power supply, and the voltage measurements on the supply seemed to verify this. However when I bring the PSU to the other computer, it is rock solid.

MyMindIsGoing
09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I hope I didn't make you buy that other supply (in that case you now have a spare one or maybe can return it). I wanted you to get another one just to try to see if that was it (like from another computer).

The freezing can be the graphics card overheating. Open the case while the computer is on and see if the fan is spinning on the gpu. If not, clean the fan and cooler and see if it spins now. If not it is time for another fan. Cleaning the cooler is good either way. Remove the card and unscrew the fan (not the cooler itself) and then just use a toothbrush to clean both fan and cooler and put it back. Ofcource if there is hardly any dust then it wont be necesarry. Almost any time I fix someones eleses computer the gfx cooler is just full of dust making cooling very less efficient.

Luv2DriveTT
09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope I didn't make you buy that other supply (in that case you now have a spare one or maybe can return it). I wanted you to get another one just to try to see if that was it (like from another computer).

[/ QUOTE ]

I did buy a new supply, but now worries.. I can replace it.

I ruled out the graphics card because I placed the card in my backup computer and the PSU worked perfectly there - no freezes. I also brought the PSU into the backup computer - no freezes there either. Lastly I checked to see if it was overheating, the motherboard is a very safe 32 degrees c and the GPU is 39-40 degrees c - both well within nominal operating temperatures.

So that brings us back to the root cause of the problem, I am beginning to think its the motherboard. My last mobo was an Abit, I had to send it back twice for a replacement because of bad capacitors. Do you agree?

TT

MyMindIsGoing
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I also had an Abit, it was horrible. If you rule out every thing else it has to be the mobo yes.

Luv2DriveTT
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also had an Abit, it was horrible. If you rule out every thing else it has to be the mobo yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabyte gets a phone call today /images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks for everything.