PDA

View Full Version : AK hand for comment

AtticusFinch
09-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t835)
CO (t990)
Button (t975)
Hero (t985)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t1190)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t1025)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

UTG raises to 50
UTG+1 calls
MP2 raises to 150
Hero folds
UTG raises all in
UTG+1 calls
MP2 folds

Flop: (t22.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(10 players)</font>

Turn: (t22.50) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(10 players)</font>

River: (t22.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(10 players)</font>

Final Pot: t22.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Ks (one pair, nines).
BB doesn't show.
UTG doesn't show.
UTG+1 has Js Jd (two pair, jacks and nines).
UTG+2 doesn't show.
MP1 has Qh Qd (two pair, queens and nines).
MP2 doesn't show.
MP3 doesn't show.
CO doesn't show.
Button doesn't show.
Outcome: MP1 wins t22.50. </font>

psyduck
09-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Please check your posts before you post them. This hand makes no sense.

09-11-2005, 02:37 AM
Nice read and good laydown.

This is most likely a leak in my game.

Of course if you knew before hand that both players would be go allin, and you knew both of their hands, it would be an easy call. Obviously you didn't, which makes me like your fold.

Good play.

09-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Folding seems to me to be the only reasonable play. Well done.

AtticusFinch
09-11-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please check your posts before you post them. This hand makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hand-typed the action because the converter bugged out on the hand for some reason. It makes sense if you just read the action and don't worry about the chip amounts.

Al P
09-11-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course if you knew before hand that both players would be go allin, and you knew both of their hands, it would be an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold if they both showed me their hands.

09-11-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course if you knew before hand that both players would be go allin, and you knew both of their hands, it would be an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding if you knew you were up against JJ and QQ allin would be a biggg mistake.

It's like getting allin at even money in a coinflip situation... except its not even money. You would be offered 2-1 on a 45% shot.

I would take a 45% chance of tripling up any day.

Al P
09-11-2005, 02:53 AM
I want you in my games.

psyduck
09-11-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding if you knew you were up against JJ and QQ allin would be a biggg mistake.

It's like getting allin at even money in a coinflip situation... except its not even money. You would be offered 2-1 on a 45% shot.

I would take a 45% chance of tripling up any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that simple because a Q or a J that comes on any street takes you out (I estimate 40% that at least 1 Q or J comes on flop/turn/river). In other words, you're not guaranteed a win if an A or K comes up.

To Atticus: easy preflop fold if you don't like taking coinflips early (which you shouldn't be usually since you have a larger edge late game than early game)

psyduck
09-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Yeah just ran the numbers, AK vs QQ vs JJ is 37%,45%,18% respectively

AtticusFinch
09-11-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah just ran the numbers, AK vs QQ vs JJ is 37%,45%,18% respectively

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you're +cEV, barely, but no way am I taking this bet this early.

Al P
09-11-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm just wondering how he figures AK to be a 45% winner here when it's just a bit over 36%. So you lose two and triple up once.

Let's use $10+1 as an example and 100 tournies.
36 times you have 3000 chips.
64 times you have $0 chips.

You've paid $1100 in entries. You now have 36 tries to make back that $1100. You need to win $30.55 (slightly above 2nd place) every single game just to break even.

Like I said, I'll fold all day if they turn their cards face up and both declare all in.

bones
09-11-2005, 03:11 AM
Well played.

Honestly, I probably call the t150 and fold to the push and hate myself for the rest of the night for calling the 150.

psyduck
09-11-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well played.

Honestly, I probably call the t150 and fold to the push and hate myself for the rest of the night for calling the 150.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll only flop an Ace or a king 1/3 of the time. What's more, a lower pocket pair will almost certainly not pay off an ace high flop at a $55, and probably not a king high flop.

It's a pretty easy fold preflop actually if you're playing a set number of SNGs in a day vs. a set number of hours.

AtticusFinch
09-11-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty easy fold preflop actually if you're playing a set number of SNGs in a day vs. a set number of hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, how does this play into it?

bones
09-11-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll only flop an Ace or a king 1/3 of the time. What's more, a lower pocket pair will almost certainly not pay off an ace high flop at a $55, and probably not a king high flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize the math behind it. I was just (jokingly) commenting on how I usually misplay it.

psyduck
09-11-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, how does this play into it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Lorinda posted a thread about how you should go all-in with AK early on if you're playing with the sole intention of increasing your hourly rate. Your ROI will decrease, but because you will fire up a new SNG as soon as you lose your coinflip, you will get more SNGs/hr. If you win your coinflip, you will have a higher chance of getting ITM.

I don't have the exact math behind it, but if you're playing a set # of hours a day, taking coinflips early should theoretically increase your hourly rate but decrease your overall ROI. Maybe we should ask Lorinda to re-post it.