PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: BAC QUESTION

augie00
09-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Hey. I just hung out with my friend and her friend. He had been drinking heavily. He just blew a .34. How dangerous is that? Should we take him to the hospital?

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 02:10 AM
how big is he?

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 02:11 AM
i dont know i just opened myself up to dick jokes, or if mine could be construed as one.

augie00
09-11-2005, 02:11 AM
i'd say about 5'5" 140 lbs

TheMainEvent
09-11-2005, 02:12 AM
I certainly don't think it would be overcautous to take him to the hospital at that level.

CardSharpCook
09-11-2005, 02:12 AM
water him down immediately. Have him drink lots of water and don't let him go to sleep for an hour or two.

augie00
09-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Yeah she is feeding him water until he pukes

whiskeytown
pretty bad...

If I were you, I would STRONGLY encourage him to go throw up in the bathroom - but I am not qualified to say whether that is bad enough for medical attention or not....

but I would DEFINATELY get him to go puke in the toilet - get some of that alcohol back OUT of him.

RB

Shilly
Brad,

.34 is really bad. If it was an accurate breathalyzer, your friend is in bad shape. Most people die at about .45 or so--your friend might be on his way up. If he's conscious and coherent right now, I'd make him puke, he should be alright. If he's passed out, you might want to get medical help.

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 02:14 AM
damn,.

is he responsive?

if he becomes non=responsive i'd get worried.

better to be safe than sorry though, so why not take a trip to the hospital, come back, and give us a trip report?

asofel
09-11-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey. I just hung out with my friend and her friend. He had been drinking heavily. He just blew a .34. How dangerous is that? Should we take him to the hospital?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a lot for such a small person too...the water and no sleep (ie choke to death on puke) is a good idea

09-11-2005, 02:15 AM
I think the watering him down might be naive. It's already in his blood and gone to his brain. He's probably passing out. I'd take him to the hospital.

Voltron87
09-11-2005, 02:15 AM
get him to a hospital, now

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 02:16 AM
try and give him some carbs (bread, not a lot) to soak up the alcohol. give him water.

then make him puke.

then start over again.

or just make this easy and safe, go to the hospital and get his stomach pumped.

just for a point of refernce, i once went 15 shots of various drinks one night (birthday) and made it to the next morning before i threw up for a long time.

and im about 5'7" to 5'8" & a buck fifty.

CardSharpCook
09-11-2005, 02:18 AM
No, it doesn't matter his size. He has reached .34% alcohol saturation. "for his size" he has drunk far less than a big person, but it is irrelevant. It is the old, "which weighs more; a pound of feathers or a pound of steel" question. I don't want to council against safety, but you probably don't need to go to the hosipital as long as he retains consciousness.

Eurotrash
09-11-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's more vodka in this piss than there is piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 02:19 AM
oh yeah thats true.

hence %...

Shilly
09-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Brad, how did you measure his BAC? If you used a portable breathalyzer, it's probably not very accurate. I'm not trying to say that your friend doesn't need to go to the hospital, but the accuracy of home breathalyzers isn't very good. If he stays conscious, I don't think you need to take him to the hospital, but if he passes out, he needs some help.

asofel
09-11-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, it doesn't matter his size. He has reached .34% alcohol saturation. "for his size" he has drunk far less than a big person, but it is irrelevant. It is the old, "which weighs more; a pound of feathers or a pound of steel" question. I don't want to council against safety, but you probably don't need to go to the hosipital as long as he retains consciousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

true true, i realize that. Yet, at the same time, I'd bet money that my .34 bac isn't as bad as his .34

Voltron87
09-11-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his size doesnt matter. .30 is the same on a 230 lb person as it is on a 160 lb person. its a percent.

get him to a hospital, be on the safe side.

Shilly
09-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Although size doesn't matter in terms of BAC, tolerance does. A seasoned drinker might be coherent at this point, but others will most likely be in bad shape.

Alobar
09-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Its not worth [censored] around with man. Just take him to the hospital.

My old roomate one time was already drunk and then chugged a fith of whiskey. He passed out and started puking, and was just more [censored] up than I had ever seen anyone. I decided it wasnt worth wondering about and took him to the hospital. It ended up being this huge ass hassle, and turned out he would have been fine had I not even taken him, but even then, I still dont regret the decision. Its somebodies life you are basically in charge of when they get like that, err on the side of caution

Voltron87
09-11-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not worth [censored] around with man. Just take him to the hospital.

My old roomate one time was already drunk and then chugged a fith of whiskey. He passed out and started puking, and was just more [censored] up than I had ever seen anyone. I decided it wasnt worth wondering about and took him to the hospital. It ended up being this huge ass hassle, and turned out he would have been fine had I not even taken him, but even then, I still dont regret the decision. Its somebodies life you are basically in charge of when they get like that, err on the side of caution

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

having a friend die because you didnt take him to the hospital is a relatively bigger hassle than filling out paperwork at the hospital and waiting in the lobby reading US News.

asofel
09-11-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his size doesnt matter. .30 is the same on a 230 lb person as it is on a 160 lb person. its a percent.

get him to a hospital, be on the safe side.

[/ QUOTE ]

read what shilly just wrote. I definitely agree. Perhaps this needs a poll...

augie00
09-11-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Brad, how did you measure his BAC? If you used a portable breathalyzer, it's probably not very accurate. I'm not trying to say that your friend doesn't need to go to the hospital, but the accuracy of home breathalyzers isn't very good. If he stays conscious, I don't think you need to take him to the hospital, but if he passes out, he needs some help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a portable brethalizer. I had always suspected that it showed a bit higher than normal (as it should) but I had never heard it from anyone else.

I think these stupid breathalizers suck anyway. One of my douchey friends has one and he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. F that. Breathalizers are stupid.

whiskeytown
09-11-2005, 03:34 AM
there is something about the mindset that says "let's see how close I can get to drunk and still be legal enough to drive" that is disturbing.

I say this realizing I have sat at bar stools and added up the number of drinks I had and tried to justify a way to say I was under .08 cause I ate Steak and spread the first 3 drinks out over 2 hrs.

RB

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 03:36 AM
one reason i enjoy living within stumbling distance of my local bar.

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 03:36 AM
so was he ok? whats the story?

mmcd
09-11-2005, 03:38 AM
Is he a big drinker?

If so, don't worry about .34 isn't all that high for a seasoned drunk.

If not, you probably don't want to just leave him his own devices. Keep him awake, make him puke, etc. and take him to the hospital if he takes a turn for the worse.

Alexthegreat
09-11-2005, 03:45 AM
???

Al P
09-11-2005, 03:49 AM
What did you blow and how drunk are you (to see how far off that meter is)?

newhizzle
09-11-2005, 04:35 AM
when i got my dub, i blew a .15 off a fifth, it was a couple hours later, but if i can drink a fifth and blow a .15, then a .34 is serious

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Go to the hospital. 0.40 is LD50, the point at which 50% of people will die. BAC rises for 30 or more minutes after a person stops drinking. Don't take stupid risks with your friend's life. Get him medical attention immediately.

Shillx
09-11-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when i got my dub, i blew a .15 off a fifth, it was a couple hours later, but if i can drink a fifth and blow a .15, then a .34 is serious

[/ QUOTE ]

This is total BS. If you instantly consumed a fifth (80 proof), you would blow a .4 or so if you weighed about 180 pounds.

The LC50 (Lethal concentration 50% death) is about .40%
The LC100 (100% death) is quoted to be about .60%

This isn't totally accurate as people have been found with BACs > 1% but this guide is rough for someone who hasn't built up an excessive tollerance.

Brad

MrTrik
09-11-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true true, i realize that. Yet, at the same time, I'd bet money that my .34 bac isn't as bad as his .34

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moran. Did you skip school the day they covered what a [censored] percentage is? Retart.

augie00
09-11-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so was he ok? whats the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's fine. He puked a bunch and went to sleep.

asofel
09-11-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moran. Did you skip school the day they covered what a [censored] percentage is? Retart.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

yes, i have no idea if a pound of feathers weighs more or less than a pound of gold. i'm making a poll about this and will accept all challengers...