PDA

View Full Version : Played internet poker for the first time today!

09-11-2005, 12:45 AM
I consider myself to be a decent poker player in live games, so today I decided to try my luck on internet poker, PartyPoker.com specifically. I bought in the minimum of $50 dollars and started off with some single table $10 Sit N' Go tournaments.

During the first tournament I played two pots the entire time. I got absolute rags and only won a single pot, the first one which put me at a comfortable 1100, 300 above starting chips. This was enough to sit through the rags and slide into third place.

During the second tournament I still got rags but decided to play more aggressive and began to take a lot of pots with shear bluffs. Besides a few lucky turns or rivers, and a few decent hands I got rags that entire tournament and managed to take first. I was very happy.

During the third tournament I got rags again /images/graemlins/frown.gif and was only able to obtain fourth place, no payout.

At this point I have played for about 2 and 1/2 hours and my bankroll is at $98. I ventured into cash games which was a mistake. Within another 4 hours of play between the Limit .5/1 games and NL .15(?)/.25 I lost my entire bankroll. I rarely got a decent hand, and when I did it seemed like people were hanging on with small things even when I Was betting 3x the BB, and then hit big /images/graemlins/frown.gif .

My impressions so far is that online poker is very fun, but something that I have a LOT to learn about. As I stated earlier I consider myself to be a decent live game player, I play 2 to 3 times a week for about 4 hours at a time with friends and almost always profit.

I plan on coming back to online poker but I am going to do what I usually do when I have a bad night, bad run of cards, take a couple days off. During these days I am hoping to read a ton of material on online play, so I come here, please give me advice for online play and point me in the direction of some good articles! Also, what do I need to do to get some decent cards! Literally first tournament 2 pots played, lost the 2nd one which knocked me out of the tourney! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Ryan Z
09-11-2005, 12:51 AM
So they have poker on the internet now?

Crazy talk.

09-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok man, I am not looking for flames, some of my friends play internet poker and I couldn't try it out because of my connection but I recently got cable so I decided to try it, just looking for help.

smb394
09-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the forums!

I'd check out the FAQ/sticky posts in the forums you are interested in. The search tool here is good too.

tdarko
09-11-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my bankroll is at $98.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limit .5/1 games and NL .15(?)/.25

[/ QUOTE ]
this is your problem.
[ QUOTE ]
I lost my entire bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is usually the result (oh and i stopped reading here too).

UATrewqaz
09-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Ok here's the shocker, really GREAT poker players STILL have nights where they lose money, in fact, sometimes they still lose big.

Poker, hold em specifically, has a high degree of variance, and only with ALOT of good play and a sufficient bankroll can a player actually make a profit.

Make sure you read or have read all the appropriate required poker reading, decide what you want to play (is it NL SNG's? NL bigger tournies? NL cash? Limit cash?) because EVERY SINGLE variety I listed has a completely different style/feel/techniques you must use to beat it.

09-11-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here's the shocker, really GREAT poker players STILL have nights where they lose money, in fact, sometimes they still lose big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, fish

09-11-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Poker, hold em specifically, has a high degree of variance, and only with ALOT of good play and a sufficient bankroll can a player actually make a profit.

Make sure you read or have read all the appropriate required poker reading, decide what you want to play (is it NL SNG's? NL bigger tournies? NL cash? Limit cash?) because EVERY SINGLE variety I listed has a completely different style/feel/techniques you must use to beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats why everytime I take a hit I try to take a few days off so that I don't take another hit and wind up going on tilt. It's just internet poker is so much different than live games, I definately need to do some research /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tdarko
09-11-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just internet poker is so much different than live games

[/ QUOTE ]
not too much, maybe a little. the main thing is the amount of hands, b/c you are now seing 4X the amount of hands if you only play one table and not even multitabling so whatever leaks you have in your game are no exposed at 4X the rate they were at your live game. plus the players are probably better than your live game (it sounds like it was a home game) so they can expose these leaks that are now being exposed at a faster rate, combine this with you playing in games well above your bankroll and you will always lose your money.

you have the right attitude though. post some hands in the micro's, read all the forums and read everything you can get your hands on. just be a sponge.

sully4321
09-11-2005, 01:48 AM
go [censored] yourself... that was not funny, creative, or helpful

sully4321
09-11-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, fish

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha this guy is such a joke... okay doyle, so you never lose big? no no, i forgot, you never even LOSE... wow, man. i wish i was so good i could MANIPULATE ODDS -- even good players get sucked out on you [censored] moron. your head should be cut off

09-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, this is obviously a huge site, what articles do you think I should look at first? Where are all the articles located?

I will post some hands after I take a day or two off, I will deposit another 50 on monday or tuesday and play the micro stuff /images/graemlins/smile.gif . Won 2/3 tournaments that I played though, not bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif .

jman220
09-11-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thats why everytime I take a hit I try to take a few days off so that I don't take another hit

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the way poker works.

augie00
09-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Hey, what's up. You are right, online poker is a different beast from live poker. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it after a while. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

09-11-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thats why everytime I take a hit I try to take a few days off so that I don't take another hit

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the way poker works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jman, I said I am a decent player but I have a lot to learn, so tell me what I need to do, I want to learn. If I loose big should I just shrug it off and keep playing?

Thanks augie I hope so!

edge
09-11-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hahahaha this guy is such a joke... okay doyle, so you never lose big? no no, i forgot, you never even LOSE... wow, man. i wish i was so good i could MANIPULATE ODDS -- even good players get sucked out on you [censored] moron. your head should be cut off

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha you're awesome man. You're probably 6'6 270 and would beat me up if you saw me on the street, so I'll hide behind my coke-bottle glasses and suspenders and laugh through the internet.

lehighguy
09-11-2005, 03:01 AM
People won't give you the time of day if your post isn't full of content, yet they won't tell you what constitutes good content (mainly because you wouldn't understand without experience).

The best way around this catch 22 is the forum faqs for each forum.

jman220
09-11-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jman, I said I am a decent player but I have a lot to learn, so tell me what I need to do, I want to learn. If I loose big should I just shrug it off and keep playing?

Thanks augie I hope so!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every hand dealt is an independent event from every previous hand. Just because you have a losing streak does not mean that by taking time off, you won't have another one. Thinking like this is a major flaw in many new players game.

09-11-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks augie I hope so!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every hand dealt is an independent event from every previous hand. Just because you have a losing streak does not mean that by taking time off, you won't have another one. Thinking like this is a major flaw in many new players game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you there because in many new players, like myself emotion comes to the table. If they win big pots they may get over excited and play to loose, if they lose a big pot they can go on tilt and either play weak tight or just way to loose. I have taken math courses and understand the logic that you are describing, but math isn't the only aspect of cards.

jman220
09-11-2005, 04:24 AM
You stated [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You didn't state, so that you don't go on tilt, the way you wrote that sentence. If you are taking time off to prevent yourself from going on tilt, then fine, you're right. But if one losing session is enough to put you on tilt and cause you to have to take a few days off, then you shouldn't be playing poker, you clearly don't have the emotional control necessary to play the game. You are also clearly playing way too high for your bankroll. At your bankroll you should be playing 5 cent / 10 cent max. While oftentimes, for marginal players, math isn't the only aspect to the cards, and their emotion gets the best of them, it should be, and if its not, you have a problem. The fact that you are stating that even individual pots (winning and losing) affect your play is a serious red flag.

09-11-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with you there because in many new players, like myself emotion comes to the table. If they win big pots they may get over excited and play to loose, if they lose a big pot they can go on tilt and either play weak tight or just way to loose. I have taken math courses and understand the logic that you are describing, but math isn't the only aspect of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to agree with this one. Saying two sessions of 100 hands is the same as one session of 200 hands can be slightly incorrect. Statistically probable downswings are often amplified by emotion (tilt), so actually taking a break after a "bad hit" might prove to be beneficial for some people.

But that doesn't matter anyway, because online poker sites are rigged, right? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- thing85 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jman220
09-11-2005, 04:30 AM
Also, this is not intended as a flame; however your experience several times a week in your home game does not, in any way, shape, or form, give you enough experience for you to decide whether or not you are a "decent player," or capable of beating the online game, or even a B&M game consistently. Once again, no offense, but I'd say at this point in your poker experience, it is extremely likely that you are not good enough to beat the online game at the stakes in which you are playing, even if you were properly bankrolled. You have found these forums, you have a choice, read them, post hands, accept the advice from people who know more about poker than you, or not. Welcome to the forums.

09-11-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But if one losing session is enough to put you on tilt and cause you to have to take a few days off, then you shouldn't be playing poker, you clearly don't have the emotional control necessary to play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break, everyone's gone on tilt at least once after a losing session. You make it sound like it's some kind of fatal mental condition. Tilt happens, downswing happens, and the only way to overcome it all is play more poker. It's clear that people who have put in 30k hands are usually less prone to tilt than those with 3k hands. Play more poker, study your flaws, read a couple books, and you'll be fine.

jman220
09-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Thats not what I said, and if you read the way OP's sentence is written, it looks like he is making the common misconception that there is such a thing as "streaks," or that prior patterns determine future cards, etc. etc. It is such a common misconception amongst the vast sea of fish out there, I just assumed that was what he was saying, and corrected it.

jman220
09-11-2005, 04:35 AM
He's talking about individual hands affecting his ability to play. This is a serious flaw. You will not always play your A game, yes, but you should have at least enough emotional control to not vary your game hand by hand based on how you are doing, and that is what OP is describing. And no, you should never go on tilt. If you are going on tilt, then you are playing at stakes that are too high for your bankroll. It does happen, but it is something that needs to be corrected immediately.

SUfan5
09-11-2005, 11:22 AM
If you are going to be playing online, you should first start off with a proper bankroll for whatever game you are going to play. I'm not sure what they usually recommend for sit and goes and no limit play, since i'm a limit player, but this is one of the most important things for playing. As your first session showed you, an insufficient bankroll can be lost with some bad beats and other factors. Start yourself with a good bankroll, read the forums, and practice playing the game. Hopefully you'll start to see an improvement. Good luck with your future play on the internet.

TheBlueMonster
09-11-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
even when I Was betting 3x the BB, and then hit big .

[/ QUOTE ]
a 75 cent raise isn't gonna scare anyone at those tables.

09-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I noticed that you mentioned 3 different types of holdem, single table tournaments, limit ring games, and no limit ring games. There are different forums for each of those here, and the forum for each one is the best place to get advice on that particular game.

I'd advise that as a beginning online player, you'd be best off picking one and staying with it for awhile, rather than trying all three at once.

And, as others have noted, bad luck hits us all, that's one thing you can't do anything about. The best player in the world can drop 150 big bets in limit holdem playing against the worst players, if his luck is bad enough during that particular period of time.

09-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice, especially Jman. I have read the "Padding your bankroll for noobies" thread, and if those bonuses still exist I plan on following that path. What limit or no limit should I play with a bankroll of about 180 (assuming the bonus, 90 for 90 still exists).

Also, I know I posted about a lot of different games but rather than make 4 threads I assumed I would post here in the general Texas forum.

jman220
09-11-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the advice, especially Jman. I have read the "Padding your bankroll for noobies" thread, and if those bonuses still exist I plan on following that path. What limit or no limit should I play with a bankroll of about 180 (assuming the bonus, 90 for 90 still exists).

Also, I know I posted about a lot of different games but rather than make 4 threads I assumed I would post here in the general Texas forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are new to online poker, I would strongly recommend starting at just about the lowest limits you can find, and not moving up until you beat those limits for a significant number of hands. By significant I mean 10k minimum. I personally recommend at least 20 buy ins for whatever no limit game you are playing at, so that you can withstand a dry run, and so that you don't play scared. With $180, i'd recommend a five cent ten cent no limit game. (If no limit is what you want to concentrate on). And yes, you should absolutely bonus whore, that is going to be your primary source of income at this stage of your poker career.

09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Ok thanks, but do sites have that low of a limit? At PartyPoker where I initially played the lowest limit I could find was .15/.25.

mdeck
09-11-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, fish

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

someone's sarcasm meter needs fixing

jman220
09-11-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok thanks, but do sites have that low of a limit? At PartyPoker where I initially played the lowest limit I could find was .15/.25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with a $180 roll you don't want to start at the party skins, especially because you need at least $500 to take full advantage of the bonuses there. See Homer's Bankroll building for newbies post, or bonuswhores.com for more information. But yeah, there are plenty of sites with limits that low. Off the top of my head, pokerstars does, but they dont' have a bonus right now.

SoftcoreRevolt
09-11-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, fish

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, it doesn't make us fish that once in awhile we have a session where we only break even.

ImDaMan
09-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Nivek,
1. For limit holdem, you should have 300 BB(big bets) in your bankroll for whatever stakes your playing(not mandatory, but highly recommended).
2. Get pokertracker.
3. Don't move up in limits without 300 BB for the next limit.
4. For limit, read "small stakes hold'em" by Ed Miller.
5. For no-limit, you're on your own, however Harrington on Holdem Vol I & II are excellent and highly recommended by many. Although primarily for tournaments, many feel the concepts apply to cash games also. Don't know what you need for a bankroll for NL.
6. Post hands on the forum for help.
7. Get rakeback.
8. Whore the bonuses.
9. Cold cards happen to us all(me more than most).

Good Luck.

Al

john smith
09-12-2005, 12:26 AM
What does nivek mean?

jman220
09-12-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does nivek mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is, his name is kevin.

09-12-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with a $180 roll you don't want to start at the party skins, especially because you need at least $500 to take full advantage of the bonuses there. See Homer's Bankroll building for newbies post, or bonuswhores.com for more information. But yeah, there are plenty of sites with limits that low. Off the top of my head, pokerstars does, but they dont' have a bonus right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend partypoker for new players, as the Beginners rooms there are extremely soft, you'll be facing only the most clueless opponents.

And partypoker now has no limit tables in the beginners rooms with a $5 buy in where the blinds are 2 cents/4 cents, I believe. Man, those are some bad players there.