PDA

View Full Version : From the lowest of lows to the highest of highs

Punker
04-29-2003, 05:12 AM
I have studified the many valuble reposne to my 32o hand from recently. Most considered that my hand was not high carded!

I have revamped my game to play the higher card, and today I played the following.

I am in the big blind, and I have been granted the

A /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Many sense my power and fold unto the button, who bravely limps. The Small Blind also enteres and I choose to simply check and ensure a good flope.

The flope comes favorablish:

A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

The Small Blind now offeres a bet, which I decide to smoothflat call. The button also feels that to call.

The turn transpires a

(A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif) K /forums/images/icons/club.gif

And once again the Small Blind bets. I must flatsmooth call, and the button continues with the gambling.

The river indicates the

(A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif) Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I feel confident in my hand at this juncturing, and when the Small Blind bets, I smoothraise! The button is calling, and the Small Blind now coldflatcalls.

I have won the congratulations. But am I a genius player ?

Ulysses
04-29-2003, 05:49 AM
OK, here's what I would do differently:

Raise pre-flop.
Raise the flop.
Raise the turn.

Here's what I would do the same:

Raise the river.

Of course, once you give a little more action earlier in the hand, that will change the flow of the hand, but in general, I'd push this hand a lot harder, especially w/ straight and flush draws out there.

Joe Tall
04-29-2003, 07:51 AM
I agree with Ulysses here. I always get punished by playing like this in the position you are in, with a flop like that. And it's not that I've let them draw out, sometimes the flop-better will check on the turn because he's just leading out with a scary board to test you, and now I've missed a bet. This has been my most common leak as of late, missing bets in this situation. Or going for check raises that never materialize.

I'd ram this one...make all fish pay (I just wish I could practice what I'm preaching /forums/images/icons/wink.gif )

Bob T.
04-29-2003, 10:10 AM
I would probably have raised preflop, and on the flop.

As long as you keep getting this many full hice, you are a genius.

Hawkeye27
04-29-2003, 12:01 PM
You need to post more often. You're killing me.

Punker
05-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Well, I think I can open my brain to show my think!

When I receive the AA before any transpirations, I know I have a good hand...so I want to punish! Further, I have the fortune of almost having position!

On the flope, when the SB betts, its very excellent for me, because I can slowplay, but ensure every street is bett! With the pot at 4SB on the flope to me, I can just call, and I think the button is incorrect to call with gutshot or flush draw? So, if he (or the SB) has those hands, I can punish him on the turn!

When I fill on the turn, I still to think slowplay, is good! Now I'm hoping a spade falls on the river and he makes his flush. That way he'll bet strong and I'll beat him with my aces full! oops, sorry.

Again, because the Small Blind betts, I can still ensure that every street receives the action.

Given the board on the turn, there are so many river cards that make someone a second best hand (something like 15? maybe more!), maybe its correct to let them draw dead cheap, if it means they will pay 2 bets on the river if they get there ded. In the correct world, the button is supposed to raise the river with the broadway, and I can make the 4 bets on the river!

I thought this hand was a good idea of positional play, since due to my luck of the Small Blind betting, I can ensure all streets have action? Preflop...merely silliness from me! But after the flope, I like it!

I don't know!?!

Bob T.
05-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Punker,

You think that you can punish them on the river if their draws get there, but if they don't you got noone to punish. Why don't you raise the flop, or maybe the turn. Then you get to charge all those guys the maximum for drawing. On the river, if they make their draw, and then they might an get extra bets from you, but you get to go for the daily double. You charge them for their draw, and then you charge them for making it. If you had two pair, you would be pushing this hand for all it was worth to charge your opponents to draw or get out. Since you had more, play it like two pair, and when they get there, and try and charge you to showdown, then you can inform them that you had more, and charge them for drawing dead, and getting there.

bernie
05-01-2003, 10:00 AM
"and I think the button is incorrect to call with gutshot or flush draw? So, if he (or the SB) has those hands, I can punish him on the turn!"

id call this with a flush draw, and be correct in doing so. what if you dont get your FH on the turn, but the flush draw gets there. then what? mind you, if you bet/raise the flop, it's not going to stop the turn card from coming anyway. but it doesnt seem your planning ahead with all the possibilities. only the possibilities that benefit you. almost as if you think because you have a set, that it's unbeatable to a degree. your description of your reasoning is saying this as there's no mention of what happens if you may fall behind on the turn. you may also be behind on the flop. did you consider that possibility?

of course, getting sets cracked cures this as youll realize how vulnerable it can be. but sets are also very dynamic as they have many ways to play them.

however, you make a good point that the streets are getting bet anyway. so the draws are being charged. it's just a matter of picking your spot. a raise on the turn, the draws will still come. theyll think you may only have tripped up and that if they hit their flush it would be good. they wont put you on a huge hand. you had a free play in the blind. and as one poster mentioned, you cant charge the draws once they miss. even if they are drawing dead.

preflop...
play as you want, but remember, you arent representing as big a hand postflop as you would be if you had raised.

b

Schmed
05-01-2003, 12:22 PM
I agree with the pre and flop raise but once you've made your boat isn't this a perfect time to slow play with someone else betting and another behind you that you are hoping to call? You're hoping that the guy betting has a k. He'll see you stop after raising him on the flop when the other k hits. He'll put you on a AQ or something like that and he may even reraise you when you raise on the river.

I do think that slow playing the flop like that is very dangerous because you're letting straight and flush draws draw cheaply.

DaNoob
05-01-2003, 04:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I do think that slow playing the flop like that is very dangerous because you're letting straight and flush draws draw cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's assuming that you don't smoothflat call, which of course will bring a favorablish Turn - thus leading to the flatsmooth call, which mesmerizes opponents into thinking that their 10 is good.

Punker... great post and love the lingo. You clearly have as much fun playing poker as anyone I know.

ResidentParanoid
05-01-2003, 05:17 PM
This is just about the only post on 2+2 that has ever gotten me laughing out of control...

bad beetz
05-01-2003, 05:28 PM
I like to constantly bet out with the nuts too, but sometimes when middle pair pairs and you have the nut boat, I think a profitable check raise can sometimes be made when someone else who called with a pair and a gutshow now made trips. I bet it anyway though and just hope they raise.