PDA

View Full Version : Boo Boo on Bubble -- Semi-Steal, Re-Raised, Decent Price to Call

KramerTM
09-10-2005, 07:38 PM
The play I made feels awful, but perhaps it's not as bad as it seems? Regardless, it has been haunting me and I want some damn sleep already.

My thoughts: BB paused for a good twenty seconds before pushing. This lead me to believe he had a questionable pushing hand (i.e. 22-88, JT+). Of course there was still a chance I was crushed. After his raise, I was getting over 2.5:1, so I felt priced in. After this play, I was hit by a barrage of "lol's" from the 3 who I just "gave my money to."

My questions: With blinds so high, is this just a push? If I min-raise here instead, can I get away from a re-raise all-in? Given how I played PF, was my call terrible?

BTW, I had been the aggressor at the table, and the other 3 had been rather passive so far on the bubble.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero (t2040)
SB (t1700)
BB (t1825)
UTG (t2435)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
1 fold, Hero raises to t900, 1 fold, BB reraises all-in, Hero calls t925.

Flop: (t2425) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

Turn: (t2425) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

River: (t2425) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Final Pot: t2425

KramerTM
09-10-2005, 07:39 PM
By the way, I have read and am fully aware of the Theorem of Blind Stealing, but felt compelled to utterly and completely ignore it here.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tigerite
09-10-2005, 07:39 PM
This is why you push preflop <10bb. FPS here. No wonder it didn't work.

And yes, it was terrible. You don't start calling 2:1 that you've got yourself into a mess with by playing this badly in the first place, on the bubble, for virtually your entire stack. That's just dumb.

KramerTM
09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FPS here.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? Fold Push... Schmuck?

lastchance
09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Clear push/fold spot, and I lean toward folding, though with 5x BB, there's no time to be picky.

Fancy play by you. Really weird fancy play that lowers your FE. (don't lower your FE).

pergesu
09-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, after the raise, you have to call. But that still sucks, because you should have pushed in the first place.

You also need to be careful that you have an idea of what these people will call with. If they're calling somewhat liberally (down through about QJ), then pushing can be bad for you. This is a spot where pushing is either excellent or very bad, depending on how they call. In a low limit game, it's probably good if you haven't been pushing a lot, but bad if you have, because they get tired and "catch" you with the Q4s.

pergesu
09-10-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FPS here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fancy Play Syndrome

You screwed yourself by not making the straightforward play.

tigerite
09-10-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FPS here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fancy Play Syndrome.

And looking at it you probably do have to call the re-raise all in but it's awful, seeing as you will be a dog virtually every time (except when he has 44 or something - suited connectors are actually very slightly ahead of small pairs) and losing decimates your stack, to such an extent you'll finish 4th 99 times out of 100.

KramerTM
09-10-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In a low limit game, it's probably good if you haven't been pushing a lot, but bad if you have, because they get tired and "catch" you with the Q4s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this has been happening to me a lot lately.

So if we assume that generally, opponents are pretty passive on bubble, but will spite call me eventually with a weak K or Q, does that make this situation a fold instead of a push?

I see how this is an easy push if I have been ultra-tight so far, but am torn on what to do when I have shown consistent aggression.

PS -- Thanks for the reality check. This should have been a clear push/fold situation. Glad I had the awareness to quit playing for the day after this hand.