PDA

View Full Version : I blew out my ankle, a dream is temporarely dashed

zuluking
09-10-2005, 07:28 PM
3 weeks to the night (last night) from my Black Belt test in karate I blew out the tendions in my left ankle. 4-6 weeks re-coup time. Next test is 6 months away. I was doing 2 a day workouts, lifting weights, and even dropped 22 pounds, now all of that is in the $hitter until next April.

So tonight I'm breaking my diet, slamming back the single barrel bourbons, dropping down to .50/1 6-max and LAGGING it up to forget my troubles.

Alobar
09-10-2005, 07:29 PM
adversity builds character

Brain
09-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Have your nailed your teacher yet?

Voltron87
09-10-2005, 07:31 PM
that really sucks man. as an athlete i know what its like to be injured and it sucks.

DO NOT COME BACK TOO EARLY, err on the side of caution. i know what its like to want to come back and feel ready to go, but this can cause permanent damage. so be patient, its not worth coming back to early and reinjuring it.

zuluking
09-10-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sensei told me the same thing on the phone just an hour ago.

zuluking
09-10-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have your nailed your teacher yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish.

miajag81
09-10-2005, 07:38 PM
How did the injury occur?

Alobar
09-10-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sensei told me the same thing on the phone just an hour ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sensei must be wise like me

zuluking
09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We were grappling and I had just put a submission on my opponent. As I was standing up, my left leg went to the rear at the same time someone rolled across it from the pair grappling next to me. Freak thing, freak angle, and my ankle blew out, literally. It swelled to the size of a grapefruit within and hour, and I could not put any weight on it. At least its not broken.

Ulysses
09-11-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3 weeks to the night (last night) from my Black Belt test in karate I blew out the tendions in my left ankle. 4-6 weeks re-coup time. Next test is 6 months away. I was doing 2 a day workouts, lifting weights, and even dropped 22 pounds, now all of that is in the $hitter until next April.

So tonight I'm breaking my diet, slamming back the single barrel bourbons, dropping down to .50/1 6-max and LAGGING it up to forget my troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years ago, I hit a ball at the same time a defender also reached the ball. And, at the same time, another defender tackled me from the side. Net effect, I tore the ligaments on both sides of my ankle. I have yet to get back to the shape I was in at that time. Really sucks. Hope you're back in action soon.

HopeydaFish
09-11-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We were grappling and I had just put a submission on my opponent. As I was standing up, my left leg went to the rear at the same time someone rolled across it from the pair grappling next to me. Freak thing, freak angle, and my ankle blew out, literally. It swelled to the size of a grapefruit within and hour, and I could not put any weight on it. At least its not broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the guy who did this to you wearing this:

http://www.propstore.com/images/products/619/karate-frankcostume6.jpg

If so, it might not have been an accident.

lu_hawk
09-11-2005, 10:26 AM
i tore tendons in my ankle about 4 years ago and it still hurts me. a severe sprain like this is much worse than breaking it. i would look into rehab joints and would also advise not to come back in 4-6 weeks, it is too soon.

DavidC
09-11-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years ago, I hit a ball at the same time a defender also reached the ball. And, at the same time, another defender tackled me from the side. Net effect, I tore the ligaments on both sides of my ankle. I have yet to get back to the shape I was in at that time. Really sucks. Hope you're back in action soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You play soccer?

SackUp
09-11-2005, 10:10 PM
my best advice is to rehab like a mad man. that is the only way to fully recover from an injury. ice, stretch and do ALL of hte drills they have you do. do it hard core and you can come back fine.

I tore my ACL my senior year of college and was still able to play 4 years in college. You just have to be motivated and have a goal. Don't feel sorry for yourself, just make yourself better!

GL

Sponger15SB
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You play soccer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he plays futbol. I mean, he is mexican. Its in his blood. Duhhhhh

mikeyvegas
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://adorocinema.cidadeinternet.com.br/filmes/karate-kid/karate-kid14.jpg

Blarg
09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Look at this as an opportunity to work on things you've been neglecting. Probably including your will power heheheh. It's always hard to give a joint time to heal.

You can still work your upper body for both strength and speed, with a speedbag, focus mitts, punching drills, dumbbells and barbells, Heavyhands, kettlebells, clubbells, many weapons, stretch bands, a pull-up bar, etc. You can still do work on your midsection, and on your grip. You can still work on your flexibility, coordination, etc.

However, a few bourbons couldn't hurt every once in a while! I know it must suck, but you don't have to get out of shape. Maybe most people would, but if you wanted to be like most people, you wouldn't be going for a black belt anyway.

montechristo
09-12-2005, 12:59 AM
in 4-6 weeks go find the best physical therapist you can find, and actually do your excruciatingly painful exercises. otherwise it will be hard to ever be 100% again.

RRRRICK
09-12-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe that I've just read this.
The exact same thing happened to me about 6 years ago.
I was about 2 weeks out from a black belt grading and I got crunched in a tackle playing soccer. My ankle went black, blue, purple and was about 3 times bigger than normal. I tried everything to overcome it but ultimately gave in an accepted that I would miss the grading. It was a huge disappointment

BUT 6 years on I've never gone back to finish it.

Don't do what I did

nothumb
09-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Number of times I have blown out an ankle: five.

You'd think I would have been more careful after the first few. I was a clumsy kid. I've gone a little over 3 years without serious injury though, the longest since I was 10 and my brother kicked me in the hand and cracked a growth plate in my thumb.

Take it slow, do the excersises. One thing they made me do after my last one was spell the alphabet out five times with my toe twice a day. Man that gets irritating for some reason.

NT