PDA

View Full Version : Mo Cheeks

J_V
04-28-2003, 09:48 PM
How classy was that? I hope that I could have responded that way in that situation. Too be honest though I doubt, I would have.

For those of you that missed it, a 13 yr old girl got nervous and couldn't finish the Star Spangled Banner at the beginning of an NBA playoff game, so Mo immediately went over and starting singing along with her.

IrishHand
04-28-2003, 11:06 PM
That was a pretty cool thing to do - I was moved.

Now if only the organization could have similarly classy players...

andyfox
04-28-2003, 11:29 PM
A classy act in a league otherwise devoid of class.

Zeno
04-29-2003, 12:11 AM
“Now if only the organization could have similarly classy players...”

Well said and unfortunely very accurate. The entire NBA has gone downhill in more ways than one since the mid-90s or so. The Blazers are just one of the prime examples. I don’t enjoy saying this, as I am a long-time fan. Clyde Drexler and team was the last classy bunch for Portland.

NBA – Land of Thugs.

-Zeno

J_V
04-29-2003, 01:12 AM
I believe the NBA is more talented now than ever...with kobe being more physically talented than Jordan with the emphasis on physical.

Better shooter than jordan ever was, taller, better vertical.

IrishHand
04-29-2003, 09:16 AM
I take it you never actually saw Jordan play before the last couple of years.

adios
04-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Dr. J, Billy Cunningham, Bobby Jones, Andrew Toney, Caldwell Jones, World B. Free, Moses Malone, Clint Richardson, Darrel Dawkins, among others and of course the great Maurice Cheeks. Goodness I loved the 76'ers back when Mo played for them. I'll never forget the 76'ers quest for an NBA title and how much disappointment they endured. But they kept coming back and hung together until they climbed the mountain. I'll never forget the play in game 4 of their Finals sweep in LA against the Lakers. The 76'ers were way, way down in that game but started coming back in the third quarter led by Cheeks, Toney, and Dr. J. With about a minute left and Philly down by 2 Mo Cheeks came up with a loose ball took off in the open court, theaded the needle with a beautiful bounce pass to Dr. J breaking on the wing. Dr. J got fouled as he made the layup. Dr. J made the free throw which put Philly ahead for good as they won going away by eight. Mo Cheeks, a great player and a great man as further evidenced by the event you posted.