PDA

View Full Version : A8 value bet question.

Bob T.
04-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Online 2-4 game.

4 limpers, I limp in the CO with A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Button folds, both blinds call.

Only seven to the flop.

Flop A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif .

Checked to my right hand opponent. Who bets, there are a lot of draws that he might be betting, as well as a lot of hands that might be better than mine. I raise, and my two right hand opponents call. The cold caller surprised me, but there are a lot of draws out there. 3 to the turn, with 13 sbs in the pot.

Turn, 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

Checked to me, I bet, the cold caller calls, the flop bettor folds.

River K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . The board is now A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

Checked to me, and I am having a hard time imagining what my opponent has, what does anyone out there put him on, and do you bet the river?

travisand
04-28-2003, 09:22 PM
I would bet the river. I can't see him having the straight as most players would have raised you on the turn. And obviously the flush didn't get there so the only hand I can see that you have to worry about is a better two pair. And the two pair would probably have raised you already, unless he made it on the river.

I believe that there are a lot of 1 pair hands that will call you here. And if it is correct to bet the 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif like in the other post then this is should also be correct.

lil'
04-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Against some players I would bet without much thought. Against a smart player I would be more wary, but I would probably still bet. When he calls two cold he is either on a draw, sitting on a monster, or a dope. SInce he never raised you at any point, I would rule out a big hand like a set, so he probably either has a missed draw, a made draw(J-10), or has called incorrectly.

Best case scenario, he turned or rivered a worse two pair than you. I would bet.

Bob T.
04-28-2003, 10:21 PM
I clearly out thought myself on this one. What can my opponent have that beats me? JT, A9, AQ, AK, and AA, KK, QQ, 99, and 88. With any of those hands, it was very likely that he would have shown more life before the river. The only one that he might have played this way was JT, and then he would have to have a lot of faith in me to bet the river. Given the way the hand played, I think that the only way he could justify calling on the turn, is if he had a straight draw, and maybe even a pair and a straight draw.

The board was AKQ98, and he had AJ. He is probably mumbling about how this maniac sucked out on the turn with A8 sooted, but he could have raised preflop which would have folded my hand, or maybe bet or checkraised on the flop, which might have got me out of there, depending on what the intervening player did. When the bet came from late position, I thought that a raise might get me to the turn, so I raised, and then I was going to decide what to do later.

Your Mom
04-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob, I would bet it every time. I don't like giving up river bets with two pair, even if I do get raised every now and then.

Andy B
04-29-2003, 01:40 AM
Seven people see the flop, and you want to put people on hands? Bet!

I've been playing more bridge lately. It's kinda fun, and I haven't lost two dimes in a night yet!

Bob T.
04-29-2003, 01:49 AM
I've been playing more bridge lately. It's kinda fun, and I haven't lost two dimes in a night yet!

Maybe you should get me out of retirement.

Tyler Durden
04-29-2003, 09:51 AM
It looks like he could have JT for a flopped open ender. What position is this guy in exactly? He could also have a spade draw.

Bob T.
04-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Mid position after a couple limpers.

ResidentParanoid
04-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Without looking at the answer, it seems like JT or KJ is possible, but then the river check is strange. I guess Ax might have called 2 cold on the flop.

I usually bet the river here unless I'm really wary of this player.

tewall
04-30-2003, 03:13 PM
His likely hands look like a flush draw or a paired Ace. A better hand than yours would have raised you earlier, so bet.

MarkD
04-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Flush draw or weak ace. Possibly JT, but few opponents are capable of check raising the river.

Easy value bet. Not that close IMO.