PDA

View Full Version : Was this the right play?

09-10-2005, 03:13 PM
This is not a bad beat story.

Home game, $5buyin tournament with 1 rebuy. BB is .25.

Hero is dealt pocket aces on the BB, AdAc.
Hero put in a miniraise of the .25BB to .75. Hero gets one caller, Villian is very aggresive and will call any bet. Everyone else folded.

Flop: KdJd9d
Hero bets .75, Villian raises to all-in. Hero calls
Villians turns over 10d8d, a flush.

Turn: 3h

River: 5h

Final pot:11.50

I dont think there was any way i could lay down the aces with the nut flush draw. Is there any way i could have played this hand?

Your comments are appreciated.

Mojo Tooth
09-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Typical hyper-aggressive players like this will frequently play any suited paint. I think you should have given the villain credit for the flush. If you do that, you have to know that you're a 3:1 underdog.

This was a horrible flop for you. Don't get married to your aces. At the end of the day they're just a pair. Lay it down.

TomHimself
09-10-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This IS a bad beat story.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

flatline
09-10-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sounds like a bad beat story to me.

Mojo Tooth
09-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Bad beat stories always feature the "hero" being convinced he was the superior player and did the right thing, and was beaten by bad luck.

This player beat himself, clearly. No bad beats here.

TomHimself
09-10-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

bdohaney
09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad beat stories always feature the "hero" being convinced he was the superior player and did the right thing, and was beaten by bad luck.

This player beat himself, clearly. No bad beats here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I am with this guy. If you have aces, you have to try to push some of the idiots out of the pot. If you win the blinds pushing a standard 3-5x BB bet, good on ya, at least you have made something out of it. From what the villain had though, he probably would have still played into you, and THEN it would be a true bad beat.

Lottery Larry
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad beat story. NO, THIS IS SOMEONE GETTING TRAPPED.

Hero put in a miniraise of the .25BB to .75. Hero gets one caller, Villian is very aggresive and will call any bet. Everyone else folded.

I dont think there was any way i could lay down the aces with the SECOND-nut flush draw WHEN OTHER BETTER DRAWS WERE REMOTELY POSSIBLE. Is there any way i could have played this hand DIFFERENTLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I FIXED A FEW THINGS above.

A few questions:
- what would villian go all-in with, besides the made flush or two pair or better?
-How big were the stacks?
- Had either of you rebought yet?

Not sure if I could have gotten away from the Aces, but I might wait for a better scenario. There a lock hand possibility out there and several cards might not give you the nuts, so drawing is thinner.

Lottery Larry
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
"If you have aces, you have to try to push some of the idiots out of the pot"

That's silly. Is that true for KK-TT, anything else? You have to balance risk with reward when you have the big pairs- how often do you get the chance to trap someone who's aggressive? I WANT "idiots" in there when I have a vastly superior hand.

What this story shows is that you can't let yourself get trapped for your stack with a big pair. It's nowhere CLOSE to being easy to do that.

illini43
09-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Don't min-raise preflop...this invites calls from inexperienced players who think (O, its only 50 cents to me or whatever it is...)

Raise to .75-1.25 preflop...I don't think 10-8 suited is going to call...

This IS a bad beat thread...

09-12-2005, 10:09 PM
This is not supposed to be a bad beat thread.

I could have worded it differently, by saying what would you do in this situation. I am sorry if my wording was not up conclusive.

The "villian" in this situation would probably call that raise with suited cards, he would be considered a calling station. Later on in the night somone flopped a full house and he called their all in with 34o, a runner runner straight draw. (There was a pair on the board and a three flush.)

If there was two diamonds on the board i would fold quickly, but with the nut flush draw i could not lay it down.

littlebu
09-12-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If there was two diamonds on the board i would fold quickly, but with the nut flush draw i could not lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't have the nut flush draw. If the 7 or Q come your still not winning the pot.

TomHimself
09-13-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't have the nut flush draw. If the 7 or Q come your still not winning the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]how is he gonna know a 7d will give villian a str8 flush? he had the nut flush draw douche bag

09-13-2005, 05:39 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the queen /images/graemlins/diamond.gif came up then i would have a royal flush draw(assuming i didn't know villian had the ten). So yes I did have the nut flush draw.

09-14-2005, 09:49 AM
No way this is not a bad beat this guy is a lag they love playing this especialy when a tag min raises them. You should have made a standard either 3 or 4 times the bb.

Buffro
patexashold-em.com

kalahiki
09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I would know I was already beat with a board of one suit, and the cards being KJ9 is a pretty scary flop for aces (KJ, K9, J9, QT, suited trash... calling station hands... and usually when a calling station acts out of his nature by actually betting... he's got a hand)... yet, I'd still call it knowing very well i was beat. You or your opponent don't seem to have enough in their stack to get away from the hand. It seems like you only had about 20BB to start with in the hand, and you already have 6BB in the pot when you're faced with the all in bet... i mean, whatever about pot odds... it's only $5 lost, most of the time this guy is a chump, and I probably can rebuy... but don't take my word for it that this is the "correct play" here... this is just what a thoughtful-action-maniac guy like me would do.

littlebu
09-14-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]how is he gonna know a 7d will give villian a str8 flush? he had the nut flush draw douche bag

[/ QUOTE ]
What hand would the villian that way besides a made hand? You have to consider that he has a flush and your draw might not be to the true nuts. I guess I coulda worded it better like the post below. Hope my points a little clearer now dickhead

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad beat story. NO, THIS IS SOMEONE GETTING TRAPPED.

I dont think there was any way i could lay down the aces with the SECOND-nut flush draw WHEN OTHER BETTER DRAWS WERE REMOTELY POSSIBLE. Is there any way i could have played this hand DIFFERENTLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

I FIXED A FEW THINGS above.

A few questions:
- what would villian go all-in with, besides the made flush or two pair or better?
-How big were the stacks?
- Had either of you rebought yet?

Not sure if I could have gotten away from the Aces, but I might wait for a better scenario. There a lock hand possibility out there and several cards might not give you the nuts, so drawing is thinner.

[/ QUOTE ]