PDA

View Full Version : JJ against TAG, raise for free showdown?

MrEngenic
09-10-2005, 09:45 AM
UTG+1 has been pretty tight but I have only 50 hands on him. 6/6/3 something.
My plan was to just call down after his flop checkraise. When the board pairs I thought it would be a good time to raise for a free showdown and hope he has a high A.

Good spot to try this? Call river donk right?

party 2/4

Hero is MP3 with JJ
UTG+1 raises, folded to Hero, Hero 3bets, folded to UTG who thinks for awhile and calls

Flop: (7.5 SB) 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ( 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero calls

Turn: (5.5 BB) T /images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)
UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 calls

River: (8.5 BB) 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG+1 bets

ebranig
09-10-2005, 11:37 AM
At this point on the river the pot is too big to fold so you have to call.

brazilio
09-10-2005, 11:41 AM
I cap the flop and I don't raise the turn, and against a TAG with a larger number of hands I can fold the turn. The problem is that if he's also got a read on you as a TAG he's unlikely to believe you've got AT, and I think it's unlikely he'll fold his QQ,99, or KK. People just don't let go of their mid-high pocket pairs. Raising for a free showdown gets you in situations like your river. I don't see anything you're against that you beat, and your raise failed. I just fold.

TheHammer24
09-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I like it a lot against a standard TAG. It is, however, startling that his stats 6/6 as he has a very low PFR standards especially UTG. I think this is AA-QQ a lot! His donk bet on the river could very well be an A hoping you will fold your A, which is weak at best.

3-Betting preflop will give you more of an idea where you are. If he caps and leads the turn, you can probably fold.

TheHip41
09-10-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At this point on the river the pot is too big to fold so you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you don't raise the turn. If you are raising the turn for a free showdown, then you should fold to the river donk. If you are going to call the river donk, just call the turn, call the river. If you spike a J, go crazy.

09-10-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My plan was to just call down after his flop checkraise. When the board pairs I thought it would be a good time to raise for a free showdown and hope he has a high A.

[/ QUOTE ]
If villian is a thinker the second ten won't scare him at all, IMO.

Also, what's your plan if he 3-bets the turn?

TheHip41
09-10-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If villian is a thinker the second ten won't scare him at all, IMO.

Also, what's your plan if he 3-bets the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the 'idea' behind the 'free' showdown. Might get overs to fold to a turn raise, and it charges draws whileyou can. The bad thing about this play is ppl continue to call down even after they are faced with more bets.

The way I see it, if you are raising the turn for a 'free showdown':

if you get 3 bet on the turn, fold

if you get donk bet on the river blank: fold

If you cant fold when this happens, you are better off just calling down from the turn.

Bodhi
09-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Wow, you really need to 3bet the flop. You decided to wait for the turn, and then raised when the worst card possible fell. Try to be more aggressive and more flexible in your postflop play. Anyway, you're looking at a boat here 90% of the time on the river.